Cam Harris...summed up in one play

He had the best yards per carry on the team, too. A full yard over Knighton. He’s never been under 5.

Again, Chaney should start and Cam has limitations but this thread reeks of knee jerk. Teams have to account for his strengths. He will break open a game or two with his speed.
Maybe but I've been saying it since last season even when he had that good start. I think Don would have done more with those carries. I just don't see Cam hit the hole hard enough and his wiggle is not existent

Advertisement
It’s actually pretty damning , its even worse live. The hesitating abd how easily he went down with a cb coming off a block is sad. This is who he’s been his entire time here, he’s just another one in on the laundry list of guys not improving.
i was actually praying he tested the NFL draft.

Harris is a good player who gets killed because of what he isn’t. He’s not an everydown, Canes-caliber back. He doesn’t have that balance or wiggle. But he has top-tier long speed, he can catch and he’s tough.

Don’t get me wrong, Chaney is the best back. But Harris still had the best numbers last year. He doesn’t suck.
When was the last time Harris broke one using that top tier speed? I honestly don’t remember. Pointless to have killer speed if you can use it. Even Homer and Walton would break a few.

Edit: I think the Louisville game he hit one but I can’t remember any others. Louisville Defense made it easy for our backs that night.

The stats never enter a Cam Harris discussion. Look at the stats from last year as another example.

Again, Chaney is more talented and I want him to be the top guy now that he's healthy. But there is a reason Cam averages over 5.1 ypc in his career. He is a legit home-run hitter.
@DMoney - I agree with you for coming to the defense of Cam. People saying he sucks or should transfer is a over the top and ridiculous. Cam will still have some big games and break some huge runs this year. But saying "the stats never come into play", and some other things you're saying are a bit misleading.

1) CAM IS A HOME RUN HITTER
100% True. Cam is our best HR hitter. But he also strikes out the most.

Cam BY FAR had more big runs than Chaney & Knighton on the same amount of carries in 2020. Cam's speed/big play ability can't be overlooked.

1630998784895.png

Cam also BY FAR had more carries for negative yds. That's on Cam, not the OL or play calling. Losing yards on 21% of your carries also can't be overlooked.

1630998929658.png

2) CAM IS TOUGH
Cam's definitely "tough", he's just not "physical". Dallas, Lingard, Chaney, Knighton, Burns - all missed games due to injury the last couple years. Cam has more carries than any of them and has never been injured. Not even nicked up really. IMO that shows his toughness.

But he's not a "physical" runner. He continuously shies away from contact. He's obsessed with getting to the sideline, and makes bad decisions just to avoid contact. And when anticipates contact, he usually stops his momentum, turtles up, and braces for contact. This is why he falls backwards instead of forward. It's not that he doesn't break tackles because of poor contact balance, it's that he doesn't try to physically run through tacklers. He makes it easy for them.

3) DEFENSES CHANGED AFTER THE UAB & LOUISVILLE GAMES TO ACCOUNT FOR CAM
Disagree. UAB & Lousiville were just poor run defenses. Cam's big runs always come against poor run defenses. All of them. Essentially his HR's always come against bad pitchers, but good pitchers always strike him out.

4) CAM'S 5.1 YPC IS GOOD, AND HE'S A GOOD RECEIVER
Disagree on both. Cam's 5.1 ypc is "good" when compared to Chaney's 4.7 & Knighton's 4.0 ypc.

But 5.1 by itself isn't very good. It's average. And Cam is just a decent receiver. Cam has graded out as our worst receiving RB the last 2 years, and his 7.2 yds per reception is the worst of any Canes RB in the last 10 years (and I do mean ANY...and by at least a full yard).

Since "The best since Duke" always gets thrown out there, here's the career Yds Per Carry & Yds Per Reception for any RB that's played at Miami since Duke was a Freshman 10 years ago in 2012 (stats are while at Miami & minimum of 100 carries)

1631001814739.png

Overall Cam isn't good or bad - he's just solid/average.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I lost my ******* mind on this play

It was so bad

All in all, I agree with BShaw...Harris has his moments, he's an average UM back. I actually think he'll be a mid to late round pick on measurables and hands alone.

He has no vision, and he doesn't have feet, especially early in the run...He used to not have any patience either, he has a little of that now.

Who remembers that RB we had a couple years ago, Cam Davis? That guy was much better than Cam Harris. He wasn’t as bulky and looked a lot more agile than Harris.

Our receivers did get blown up on their blocks. Bama dbs are strong at the point of attack that’s for sure. Hopefully trob is here a while and continues to recruit plus athletes.

I am not defending cam tho. I think he has horrendous contact balance. I wish we had Dallas yesterday. I felt he could’ve broke a run or two and kept us on track

Likens has no problem putting in the best guys. Wiggins and Pope were nowhere to be found. Redding and key were in and they’re true sophomores. So no favorites there. If the pass protection was the concern I get it. And with Mallory being a trash blocker he’s no help not running routes. He’s basically a receiver. So keeping cam in to block is understandable I guess. But still get don in the game earlier

Advertisement
Stop going back and forth with them. It's a waste of time.

The real reason why Cam is starting is because Don can't pass block. He isn't physical enough in pass blocking and half-asses it. Go rewatch the Bama game, Harris took Chaney's lunch money on the play King got sacked by Harris.

Until Don improves that area of his game, he's a liability. Also, giving Don starter snaps makes our offense predictable because the chance of it being a run play is higher. If our coaches see it on film other teams will see it on film as well.
I always think RB's ability to pass block is overrated - but Chaney's bad blocking is definitely playing a large part here.

You don't have to be a good pass blocker, you just can't be terrible. And Chaney has been terrible. Like, legit worst in the ACC terrible. It's ugly.

The next 3-4 games are the soft part of our schedule so we'll see how it plays out - but I wouldn't be surprised if we're still leaning on Cam more than people would like. But Cam will have some big runs in these games too, because that's what he does.

How is the DB not flagged here
I'm an App fan, I was here in 2016 to talk some smack, predictably that didn't go so well after being bubble screened to death. I'm traumatized and there isn't a bubble screen that I see that doesn't make me cringe to this day. Thanks Richt.

Anyway, I have screenshots of 5 plays in the first quarter where Alabama was holding a Miami player. Hands outside the shoulders, jersey being grabbed etc. One of which was on a consequential 3rd down conversion. I'd imagine there was holding on most of them, but I haven't gone back to watch just third down.

I'm an App fan, I was here in 2016 to talk some smack, predictably that didn't go so well after being bubble screened to death. I'm traumatized and there isn't a bubble screen that I see that doesn't make me cringe to this day. Thanks Richt.

Anyway, I have screenshots of 5 plays in the first quarter where Alabama was holding a Miami player. Hands outside the shoulders, jersey being grabbed etc. One of which was on a consequential 3rd down conversion. I'd imagine there was holding on most of them, but I haven't gone back to watch just third down.
We def bubble screened to death that game lol. That’s hilarious.

I know even if the refs called it in our favor we still get smashed but blantant calls like that **** me off

The refs blew the grounding/safety call. Then on the TD there was a bad hold too. The refs are never going to do us any favors for whatever reason.

Advertisement
The refs blew the grounding/safety call. Then on the TD there was a bad hold too. The refs are never going to do us any favors for whatever reason.
It looked like every 3rd down where Bryce was able to escape there was holding as the defensive line was turning to shift back to the vacated area. Perhaps the ref's didn't think it was consequential but if you're a defensive lineman running a 4.6 40, you can cover that 15 yards of space in about 1.5 seconds. Oftentimes, he held the ball for longer than that. These were consequential non-calls that for anyone BUT Alabama is called 7 times out of 10.

Manny is right, the game got out of hand on 3rd downs. 14 times in 3rd and 5 and they convert 11 of them? In the first quarter alone I saw holding that affected those plays multiple times. While the outcome may not have changed, I still needed Miami to cover 19.5 and those issues likely kept that from happening. It's a lot different trying to convert 3rd and 5 versus 3rd and 15.

Another thing I noticed was Diaz running 3-4-4, 3-2-6, and traditional 4-3-2 alignments. I think the defense actually played really well outside of those 3rd down calls and if not for the inability to break double teams and holding on 3rd down, it may have been a different game.

Harris is a good player who gets killed because of what he isn’t. He’s not an everydown, Canes-caliber back. He doesn’t have that balance or wiggle. But he has top-tier long speed, he can catch and he’s tough.

Don’t get me wrong, Chaney is the best back. But Harris still had the best numbers last year. He doesn’t suck.
Cam is tough? Man where? And I used to ride for Cam allll the time on this site but nah, dude ain't tough.

Advertisement
Likens has no problem putting in the best guys. Wiggins and Pope were nowhere to be found. Redding and key were in and they’re true sophomores. So no favorites there. If the pass protection was the concern I get it. And with Mallory being a trash blocker he’s no help not running routes. He’s basically a receiver. So keeping cam in to block is understandable I guess. But still get don in the game earlier

Wiggins played, I saw him on the field multiple times. Pope, not so much.

Hands to the face.. can’t see **** when defenders do that! The refs really ***ked us this game. Would have still lost but many missed facemasks that would have given us extra downs were not called. PI on a king INT, holding our ends every down smh.
We were not gonna win that game, but the officials were a joke....missed at least 5 holding calls including one in the endzone on that bomb.

Advertisement
Back