Cam Harris...summed up in one play

In order for that concept to have validity you need to have a guy where people feel like hey this guy is dangerous and can take it to the house on any given play.
I think they did, which is why defenses took away the run after the UAB and Louisville games.

In a perfect world, Cam is a complementary back who helps you with his speed and in the passing game. Hopefully Chaney puts him in that position. But there is too much hate for a guy that almost every team would be happy to have in their RB room. That speed is unusual.

Advertisement
Look at the closing speed pursuit weakside though. Jobe knows force him back that way cause he has help and talent that can close the distance. Christian Harris easily the best linebacker in the country.
I think this is totally fair and I did not mean to contribute to the “Cam low key sucks” momentum in this thread. He doesn’t suck, nowhere near it, and I don’t think he could’ve turned this play into a 20 yard gain. It wasn’t there.

However, he is one of the most easily tackled RBs in recent Miami history. He doesn’t show the ability to anticipate defenders or to take the best lane available. He’s also bulked up way more than he should’ve, with no real benefit to his game. In fact it’s hurt his agility and his quickness, so I have trouble seeing how he was coached to that size. It just feels like a personal goal that’s outside of making him the best back possible.

I agree with D$ on what Cam does well, 100%. I don’t think that HR speed or his blocking ability should be removed from the question of “How Good is He Really?” But when I look at everything I see a back who needs a lot more things to go right for him to succeed than I see a back who makes success happen regardless of everything else. That’s just who he is, and by no means does it mean he should be kicked off the team or similar nonsense.

Gotta love Canes fans. Everyone expected to lose against Bama, but when we actually go and lose people are surprised that our coaches were outcoached by 7 year NFL head coaches turned college OC and players were outplayed by better talent.

There is a reason we expected to lose.

We neither need to fire Manny, nor Rhett nor Cam, etc. Your player and cosch expectations don’t align with your team expectations, unless you realistically thought we were going undefeated.

Y’all are just nitpicking and taking your anger out on players for no reason 😂😂😂. At the end of the day we got blown out because of terrible coaching, not because of players not giving effort and def not because cam didn’t cut up the field on one play when he should have. I have always questioned Cam’s vision, but it was it it is. His vision def did not play a part in the reason we lost so stop overreacting.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I think this is totally fair and I did not mean to contribute to the “Cam low key sucks” momentum in this thread. He doesn’t suck, nowhere near it, and I don’t think he could’ve turned this play into a 20 yard gain. It wasn’t there.

However, he is one of the most easily tackled RBs in recent Miami history. He doesn’t show the ability to anticipate defenders or to take the best lane available. He’s also bulked up way more than he should’ve, with no real benefit to his game. In fact it’s hurt his agility and his quickness, so I have trouble seeing how he was coached to that size. It just feels like a personal goal that’s outside of making him the best back possible.

I agree with D$ on what Cam does well, 100%. I don’t think that HR speed or his blocking ability should be removed from the question of “How Good is He Really?” But when I look at everything I see a back who needs a lot more things to go right for him to succeed than I see a back who makes success happen regardless of everything else. That’s just who he is, and by no means does it mean he should be kicked off the team or similar nonsense.
This is a fair post. Suggesting that he should quit football is obviously hyperbole. He just shouldn't be our starter. As far as running the ball he has one strength...top end speed and then is average to poor at pretty much everything else...balance, agility, vision, instincts, or power.

I think they did, which is why defenses took away the run after the UAB and Louisville games.

In a perfect world, Cam is a complementary back who helps you with his speed and in the passing game. Hopefully Chaney puts him in that position. But there is too much hate for a guy that almost every team would be happy to have in their RB room. That speed is unusual.
UAB and Lousiville are 2 of the worst defenses in college football. We already play in one of the worse D1 divisions and he doesn't even excel. What's his ypc vs top 25 teams?

Cam does the same thing almost every time he has a defender in his face. Stops his feet. That's why he's constantly getting tackled 4 yards behind the LOS. If the D gets an penetration and disrupts the play, he stops and looks to change direction but instead just gets taken down easily.

This play he does the same thing, stops his feet right before contact and it's an easy tackle. Although Jobe certainly used hands to the face to slip the block and of course it wasn't called.

Need a D money on a hill gif @RVACane. Once he goes up he stays until death.
Something like this???

8AAF15CD-CB95-4B2E-AD43-2CFF41F93E09.gif

Advertisement

He's a back that won't see significant time in the NFL. I love how (I think that's Jobe) JJ is leaning towards the strong side cause he wants Cam to cut it back to the inside where the help is. That's high football IQ right there man. He's baiting him to cut back and that's exactly what he was going to do.

Can would be a beat at Wisconsin but for this offense you have to be able to have a lot more wiggle or power at the point of attack

Cam don’t like to get hit. That’s why he breaking to the sideline instead of up field
We definitely seeing the same #23. Chaney and Knighton both run between the tackles the way Cane backs should - decisive and with authority. Harris is too timid, which is why he runs into the butts of his on offensive linemen all the time. It's not his fault though, Lashlee should use him differently, e.g., on 3rd downs to catch balls out of the backfield. He should be backing up the younger guys.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
Yes, I think the guy with a career 5.1 ypc is a good college player. Call me crazy.
@DMoney ..

I think the issue at hand is that those numbers are inflated by his first two games vs UAB (7.9 avg) and Louisville (14.9 avg). And the other games where he had a 4.0 or more avg, from my recollection, tho teams weren't exactly defensive powerhouses.

We've seen his capabilities and at this point, it's probably time to see what Chaney can do.

Gotta love Canes fans. Everyone expected to lose against Bama, but when we actually go and lose people are surprised that our coaches were outcoached by 7 year NFL head coaches turned college OC and players were outplayed by better talent.

There is a reason we expected to lose.

We neither need to fire Manny, nor Rhett nor Cam, etc. Your player and cosch expectations don’t align with your team expectations, unless you realistically thought we were going undefeated.
Losing is one thing, not competing at all is another. Bama could have easy dropped 70+ on us Sat if they so desired. They chose not to.
Also, and this is important, Miami under Manny is establishing itself as a team that get’s its butt beat in the first half against teams with a pulse. Our last 3 games we were down 34-3, 21-0, 27-0. This is not a talent issue, it is clearly a lack of preparation -ie- coaching issue.

Harris is a good player who gets killed because of what he isn’t. He’s not an everydown, Canes-caliber back. He doesn’t have that balance or wiggle. But he has top-tier long speed, he can catch and he’s tough.

Don’t get me wrong, Chaney is the best back. But Harris still had the best numbers last year. He doesn’t suck.
Then we better start Cheaney going forward.

Advertisement
Back