Cam Harris...summed up in one play

Advertisement
Lashlee said he wanted a workhouse back this season. Then play Chaney. When he needs a break sub in the muscle hammer. Totally hate the gameplan to open up the game. But I know if Chaney started he would've made the best of the first 5 carries Cam got.

I mentioned this play in the gameday thread. Reminds me of the long Lamar Miller run years ago (I think with the Dolphins) where he unnecessarily cut back up field and got caught by a defender.

We need to stop recruiting big backs if they lack speed and vision.

It’s like Manny promised he’ll stay so that’s why he came back after pouting all last season.

That’s the only thing that makes sense or maybe Harris is better at pass protecting and receiver.

But it’s obvious Don is a much better RB.

Cam should hit the phuckin portal...let the young guys develop properly....I was high on Cam before he bulked up to become a stiff paperback...never seen a back with his size not be able to break one phuckin tackle....

Advertisement
this screencap tells me nothing. entirely within the realm of possibility that the DB gets past the WR's block in the next instant, slows up the RB, and gives enough time for the DL/LBs at the top of the screen to come and clean up. maybe cam screwed up this play and maybe he didn't but that one shot is meaningless.
It’s actually pretty damning , its even worse live. The hesitating abd how easily he went down with a cb coming off a block is sad. This is who he’s been his entire time here, he’s just another one in on the laundry list of guys not improving.

Last edited:
I get cam starting but why did it take soo long to get Chaney in the game? Dude should of been in 2nd or 3rd series.. I see other teams get multiple backs in the game, bama has their starter but probably played 4 backs.. Cam is not even good enough to have his backups not get pt.. wtf is goin on..

Rambo was lazy af with the block on that play but I agree. Can aint it
Rambo was beyond lazy...that's another reason he won't be on an NFL team long. Imagine putting that **** on tape. Cam is who he is we all saw this two years ago. Goes down way too easy.

Last edited:
Man you guys are better fans than me, I’ve pretty much deleted the game from my memory already like it didn’t happen, no way in **** am I watching a replay of that debacle..
I'm with you. Games like Bama and UNC I just immediately delete from the DVR

Advertisement
I get cam starting but why did it take soo long to get Chaney in the game? Dude should of been in 2nd or 3rd series.. I see other teams get multiple backs in the game, bama has their starter but probably played 4 backs.. Cam is not even good enough to have his backups not get pt.. wtf is goin on..
Need to get first downs, sustain drives to get a rotation of backs going.

I get what OP is saying but this screen shot doesn’t tell the story. Immediately after this picture Rambo just quit blocking. I was at the game and saw it live and thought, Dugans would bench him.

Plus he got the pitch 4 yards behind the line.
let alone the RT not driving up field and sealing. Might have been better his freshman year, because that's how a back runs with three years of no confidence in his line.

Advertisement
You are correct, but unfortunately so is the OP. Play is at 107:20.

In defense of Cam I believe he was trying to get out of bounds, though I can’t for the life of me understand why. A first down stops the clock. (Also, this entire series was glacially slow and made me want to scream).

View attachment 153617

Jobe does get off his block, however Cam sees it in plenty of time and still gets taken out with a weak dive at his ankles.

View attachment 153618

I’ve thought about this play a lot actually, because I basically gave up on Cam ever being more than a back who occasionally uses his speed to break away. Several of us had this discussion prior to the game: he does not need to be anywhere near this big. He runs top heavy and goes down extremely easily, especially in situations like this where he simply needs to sidestep a defender who is out of position. Ive watched the play about a half a dozen times and I genuinely don’t think Cam could physically stop or slow down enough to make Jobe miss. I don’t know if it’s because he’s too tight, he just falls over, or if he simply didn’t anticipate the tackle.

This was the exact play that ended my last hope for Cam as a quality back. He runs so soft and makes himself easy to tackle. His lack of anticipation and ability to adjust to defenders is more than just a vision problem, imo, and while his top end speed is great, he doesn’t have any real burst getting up to speed, so he rarely gets behind or surprises defenders.

Yea there are a few times in that game where Rambo just let his man go and allowed him to make first contact and end the play....

Harris is a good player who gets killed because of what he isn’t. He’s not an everydown, Canes-caliber back. He doesn’t have that balance or wiggle. But he has top-tier long speed, he can catch and he’s tough.

Don’t get me wrong, Chaney is the best back. But Harris still had the best numbers last year. He doesn’t suck.
Sometimes just saying I got it wrong does the mind good.

Advertisement
this screencap tells me nothing. entirely within the realm of possibility that the DB gets past the WR's block in the next instant, slows up the RB, and gives enough time for the DL/LBs at the top of the screen to come and clean up. maybe cam screwed up this play and maybe he didn't but that one shot is meaningless.
I mean we all saw it in the game. It's not like it's something you can't go watch. Cam did **** up as described.

Harris is a good player who gets killed because of what he isn’t. He’s not an everydown, Canes-caliber back. He doesn’t have that balance or wiggle. But he has top-tier long speed, he can catch and he’s tough.

Don’t get me wrong, Chaney is the best back. But Harris still had the best numbers last year. He doesn’t suck.
Then the question remains. Why are the canes recruiting “not an every down canes caliber back” ?

I still like Cam more than most of yall, but admit, he's been struggling to showcase the full toolbox.

He's not a complete back and shouldn't be an every down guy...but if Chaney starts to emerge a little to grind out yards, using his homerun ability to crank out big yards if you keep him clean is probably the best use of him.

Advertisement
Back