Butch Davis to FIU

The thing I'm not understanding is that Butch was supposedly already assembling a staff for our job yet gets a job and is inching on it becoming an embarrassing effort to assemble a staff. Obviously they're two different caliber of jobs (despite some delusions here of what he can accomplish at FIU) but you'd think there would be some crossover if he truly already had a list of coaches ready to go.

Advertisement
The thing I'm not understanding is that Butch was supposedly already assembling a staff for our job yet gets a job and is inching on it becoming an embarrassing effort to assemble a staff. Obviously they're two different caliber of jobs (despite some delusions here of what he can accomplish at FIU) but you'd think there would be some crossover if he truly already had a list of coaches ready to go.

Cmon bro don't pretend to be an idiot.

You think the corching budget is the same at FIU as it is at UM?

Apples and crowbars my friend.

It's funny how virtually every single player that has ever played for Butch Davis the God does nothing but sing his praises, however here in Canesville there is a significant portion of the fanbase that hates him.
I don't know that they hate Davis, they just see it as another opportunity to take cheap trashy slaps at other Miami fans who respect Davis. Just like some of the pro-Davis blowhards take cheap shots at Richt because they know how it grates on the nerves of the other camp. Do they really hate Richt or is it just an extension of the back and forth with other fans? A certain portion of Cane fans love to trash each other. The Shannon/Golden war is long over and the old soldiers are looking for a fight. For the rest, the whole thing is just annoying.

Many of the haters dismiss Paul Davis because he split for the NFL. The haters blame him for the demise of the program he rebuilt.

Advertisement

Cmon bro don't pretend to be an idiot.

You think the corching budget is the same at FIU as it is at UM?

Apples and crowbars my friend.

Agreed. But it's also apples and crowbars in quality. So if Butch had a roster of guys ready to go to Coral Gables with him then he should've just be able to offer some of those lower rung guys higher positions to go West Miami with him. I like and respect the guy but I hope this whole FIU thing doesn't end up being embarrassing for him.

Advertisement
I'm not a big Butch fan but except for Swasey he's building about as good of a staff as anybody could at FIU. He'd be hiring more prominent assistants if he were Miami coach. Seriously nobody who has Power 5 offers is going to join the FIU staff. Even if Saban were FIU coach he probably couldn't build much better of a staff than Butch is building.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I'm not a big Butch fan but except for Swasey he's building about as good of a staff as anybody could at FIU.

Who has he hired that would prompt you to make such a claim? Give us some names.

I'm not impressed by any of his assistant hires. I just question if anybody could build that great of a coaching staff at FIU or make any impressive assistant hires.

Butch also built an impressive coaching staff at Miami. I'm not sure if any of those assistants (Schiano Pagano etc) were considered big names or impressive hires when he first brought them to Coral Gables. Butch does have a good eye for both playing and coaching talent. He doesn't always make the best of the playing and coaching talent he brings in but that's a separate issue entirely.

Last edited:
What seemed to be the start of one of the greatest comebacks ever has crumbled less than two weeks later. Strong to USF and Kiffin to FIU; Butch has got to be kicking rocks right about now. If you thought it would be a challenge for Butch to put together a top staff before this news broke, the odds have just doubled because now FAU will have to split that pool of talented coaches with USF and FIU. **** Butch you had better grab Randy before one of these guys do! And then there's Scott Frost at UCF... Oh ****, ****, ****!!!

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back