Butch Davis to FIU

I'd bet Kiffin does the best of the three in the long run. He's just more charismatic and a bigger name. Strong will also do good at USF because they have a good QB. Can't see Butch doing anymore than Howard did when he returned to coach at fAU

Except there won't be a long run with Kiffin. If he does well he'll be gone at the first better opening. If he does bad it'll go horribly wrong and he'll be gone in a couple of years. FAU has to know this and is just cool with rolling the dice on a quick fix/splash hire- which is why I actually think it's fine for them to do.

Advertisement
Anyone who thought he would have success at FIU should get a lobotomy. It is the end of the road for coaches, same with FAU and other never have or never will universities across the country. It doesn't matter who those other schools hired, nobody wants to go to FIU versus USF, etc.

Kiffin made a huge mistake in leaving Alabama for FAU. Butch didn't have any other options and Kiffin's current role was a more desirable one than coaching at FAU.

Depends on how you define success. I think a lot of people jump to Herman's mark at Houston against good teams as the standard for some reason when that's not the case. Look at what Luigi actually did at FIU and how it was deemed a "success". No reason Butch can't match that standard.

Pretty much. Butch will likely lead FIU to a bowl game or 2 and maybe even some out of the sky upset of a Power 5 team. Maybe he'll even win a C-USA championship. He's not going to be winning any NCs though and he's probably guaranteed a minimum of 4 losses every year.

I wish U Flip Floppers would make up your mind about what is a good and great head coach. From what I have read so far is ready made excuses for Butch and Kiffin. Neither needs to win a NC or stay long term to have success. However, already you say that Strong will be a bust because he can't win a NC at USF and if he leaves in the short term it will still result in a failure. Dare I say different strokes for different folks!

Last edited:
On the other hand, I think it's great that three of the "lesser" Florida football programs just got quality coaches.

That's a big plus for the players in-state who don't get the big-time offers in the future....

What seemed to be the start of one of the greatest comebacks ever has crumbled less than two weeks later. Strong to USF and Kiffin to FIU; Butch has got to be kicking rocks right about now. If you thought it would be a challenge for Butch to put together a top staff before this news broke, the odds have just doubled because now FAU will have to split that pool of talented coaches with USF and FIU. **** Butch you had better grab Randy before one of these guys do! And then there's Scott Frost at UCF... Oh ****, ****, ****!!!

Advertisement
It has been all downhill for Borch since he left Miami. He took an L in the NFL, took an L at UNC, and is taking Ls with 2 OCs candidates telling him to fook his own face.

RIP to the career of Borch Davis.

Advertisement
Back