Bridge Collapse

Who is the idiot who hired this firm to build anything? If the news reports are correct they have a troubled past.

Advertisement
Seems that all the conjecture and assignment of blame here has missed the mark

It appears that the bridge was designed to be a suspension bridge looking at the design pics

For some reason this bridge seemed to be installed out of sequence....

Normally you put in the suspension tower(s) in 1st and attach the bridge using cables to the suspension tower.

Looking at pictures of the accident it appears that the unsupported bridge was installed 1st without the suspension tower and cables being in place to support it...i.e. an unsupported bridge

A full investigation will provide us with the full and actual details

Last edited:

It appears that the bridge was designed to be a suspension bridge looking at the design pics

For some reason this bridge was installed out of sequence....

normally you put in the suspension tower(s) in 1st and attach the bridge using cables to the suspension tower.

Looking at pictures of the accident it appears that the unsupported bridge was installed 1st without the suspension tower and cables being in place to support it...i.e. an unsupported bridge
Exactly

Do you even know what a stress test is for?

It’s not to test if the bridge fails and collapses you ******. It’s to test the deflection under the load and ensure it’s within the design. The bridge collapsing from a stress test would not be a normal consideration. Shutting down traffic for this would not be normal. You’re speaking in hindsight . Stfu.

Hey ding bat , stress test was done on supporting cables , smart way to do it is to do it and 2:00 AM shut down traffic both ways get the support lift they used to install it into place sound a ALARM to stay clear and do the test.......NOPE SAVE MONEY DO IT IN AFTERNOON WITH TRAFFIC.....THE DAMAGES WILL BE $500,000,000.00 EASY...

YES I KNOW..THIS WAS AND EPIC FAIL.....PEOPLE DIED FAMILIES TORN APART.....EVERYONE ASSOCIATED ON THE PROJECT INCLUDING FIU WILL BE SUBJECT TO LAWSUITS....PERIOD

GOCANES

Take a break, *******.

Nobody cares about your so-called “expertise”

You’re all over this thread “LMAO” beating your chest and SHOUTING about how much YOU know making it about YOU when there are probably still bodies yet to pull out, and families are crying.

Jesus, just shut the fūck up already. This isn’t a laughing matter or an I-told-you-so-time. There’ll be an investigation and all that.

Your posts are sickening.
I think gocanes05 came over from the old grassy site. It was the same thing over there. I had him on ignore after ready a few of his posts. Don't get him started on the IPF.

Advertisement
Yeah, I'm really not understanding this "let's not jump to conclusions" ish. A ******* bridge collapsed in normal weather. The engineers/contractors are at fault, period.
Poptimus.......DING DING DING...Finally common sense EPIC SPOT ON...yes sir you are on point.Thank you.

Poptimus a realist U are a breath of fresh air.

GOCANES

Hey ding bat , stress test was done on supporting cables , smart way to do it is to do it and 2:00 AM shut down traffic both ways get the support lift they used to install it into place sound a ALARM to stay clear and do the test.......NOPE SAVE MONEY DO IT IN AFTERNOON WITH TRAFFIC.....THE DAMAGES WILL BE $500,000,000.00 EASY...

YES I KNOW..THIS WAS AND EPIC FAIL.....PEOPLE DIED FAMILIES TORN APART.....EVERYONE ASSOCIATED ON THE PROJECT INCLUDING FIU WILL BE SUBJECT TO LAWSUITS....PERIOD

GOCANES

Good luck "sounding an alarm" at 2am. That's how you get your job shut down. Fact is no one here except the team involved with this project know what went into this project and why things were done in the sequence they were. From my experience with post tension construction, you do not remove shoring until stressing has taken place and an inspector has signed off. It seems that someone on this project suggested that shoring was not necessary to support the bridge after being set in place and before it was stressed. No idea why. I have no idea what your experience in construction is but you're posts show some clear ignorance.

I think gocanes05 came over from the old grassy site. It was the same thing over there. I had him on ignore after ready a few of his posts. Don't get him started on the IPF.

Maddog.... lmao U got me good I cannot denie it Maddog.......NBA THREE on this..KUDOS.

GOCANES

People I always bring passion and feelings Maddog he knows me well he's correct I respect him , but I never have mean intent to harm..the most you'll hear me say is DING BAT.

GOCANES BROTHERS

Advertisement
Good luck "sounding an alarm" at 2am. That's how you get your job shut down. Fact is no one here except the team involved with this project know what went into this project and why things were done in the sequence they were. From my experience with post tension construction, you do not remove shoring until stressing has taken place and an inspector has signed off. It seems that someone on this project suggested that shoring was not necessary to support the bridge after being set in place and before it was stressed. No idea why. I have no idea what your experience in construction is but you're posts show some clear ignorance.

MAC I hear U , your on point I was just mentioning a better way could have been used that's all this makes sense..thanks.

GOCANES

For some reason this bridge seemed to be installed out of sequence....

Normally you put in the suspension tower(s) in 1st and attach the bridge using cables to the suspension tower.

A full investigation will provide us with the full and actual details
If a bridge was installed out of sequence wouldn't the entire blame fall on the engineers/GC? Forgive me for not fully understanding and delineating between the roles and responsibilities of engineers vs. GCs.

And if faulty equipment was used, isn't that still the fault of the engineers/GC to not identify that beforehand? I mean, if, say, Wal-Mart was shipping goods cross-country and one of its trucks broke an axle and careened across the highway killing 8 people, Wal-Mart can't just say "welp, it's not our fault, we were simply using faulty equipment". Ya know?

If a bridge was installed out of sequence wouldn't the entire blame fall on the engineers/GC? Forgive me for not fully understanding and delineating between the roles and responsibilities of engineers vs. GCs.

And if faulty equipment was used, isn't that still the fault of the engineers/GC to not identify that beforehand? I mean, if, say, Wal-Mart was shipping goods cross-country and one of its trucks broke an axle and careened across the highway killing 8 people, Wal-Mart can't just say "welp, it's not our fault, we were simply using faulty equipment". Ya know?

No
Engineers usually design the bridge. The GC installs the bridge. Engineers can also inspect the construction. Only IF one company did both the design and the installation of this project would they be fully responsible.

As I said the order of installation appears to be out of sequence...I only say that because I don't see the support tower or the large cables in the crash pics.
There are usually many meetings held that discuss planned activities during construction. Someone had to know that it wasn't standard operating procedures but felt it was safe enough to proceed. Obviously it wasn't. What is not clear is who ordered and who approved that it be installed in that particular sequence.

That will come out in the investigation

Last edited:
Feeling so bad for the families and their losses God Bless. ***** the damm cable design, that long span should have been supported by center columns or I-beams carrying the load. This is toilet technology , unproven in the US and toped most likely by inferior installation plus the Aholes who
designed this is one total ***up, whom ever responsible will pay big time.
As mentioned in the previous post, this will come out in the investigation.
Rest in peace innocent souls, so sad.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Now its being reported that someone ( an engineer) noticed and reported a crack in the bridge but didn't think it was a safety issue.

I'm sure that this story will have many new twists and turns before the investigation is completed.

Last edited:
I’m not sure anyone here knows this but MCM was the GC on TWO other bridge projects that also collapsed/ fell.
Plus MCM has a very long list of fines and lawsuits for being nice people mentioned earlier.
Approving them to do this project was and EPIC fail , only confirms the SWAMP still is alive and kicking.

If U we’re building a bridge and U knew this company had TWO collapsed / fall under there watch would U hire them to build another one ?
MCM is responsible they gave the GO AHEAD to install this bridge they signed off that all safety and installing instructions will followed per OSHA requirements.

I assure U OSHA and NTSB would not approve a load test with vehicle traffic under the bridge , it’s a cut and dry case MCM allowed the test under there watch jeopardizing the public with this test .
They opted to do the test incorrectly under there watch people died families gone.

Forget the structure faults if the test were done safely professionally the bridge structural faults would have shown and MCM would be shown as a life saver , now cutting corners going cheap to pocket project budgets saving rang loudly here .

They push lives aside to get to a dollar savings.

Watch soon they all will be eating there own young to save face , MCM is a political organization behind the scenes, but nothing to see here political favors in play here now.

SAD isn’t it but this IS the construction business it’s WORSE THEN WASHINGTON.

GOCANES

the engineer did notify and the way the span was lifted as one piece, the center supports would have been in the way. the span should have had some kind of temp supports one would think...

Advertisement
Be honest, GOCANES05. You install kitchens for a living, right?
No , I’ve only supplied the largest projects in south Fla , New Baptist Cancer building, Miami Children’s hospital upgrade , Dolphin stadium remodel, Mt Sinai upgrade, Doctors hospital up grade , UM IPF . I can go on all these current projects.

I deal with the largest electrical contractors in Florida.

I have ODP ( owner direct purchase orders ) in hand of over $2,000,000.00 dollar.

I take ownership of my job for over 40 years of seniority in the electrical distribution business .

Sorry U asked I KNOW A THING OR TWO BECAUSE I’VE BEEN THROUGH A THING OR TWO.

This business is a HERO TO ZERO business not for the feeble of heart.

I work on the anvil of pressure never constantly, I know these people the MCM what goes around is coming back at them and they know it.

I WORK AND LIVE WITH NOT WORRYING WHAT I SAID YESTERDAY BECAUSE OF HONESTY INTERTY AND RESPONSIBILITY.

U CAN’T HANDLE THE THRUTH

Many don’t and it’s unfolding NOW.

GOCANES

https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/15/us/miami-bridge-collapse/index.html

Leave it CNN to scare the crap out of UM parents NEEDLESSLY by writing the headline like they did...What a joke they are as "Journalists"
Most people with students at UM are smart enough to know a lowercase "u" in university and the word "in" between university and Miami strongly suggest it is not the main school in Miami at which this occurred.. but I can understand if that's above your level of reading comprehension.

No , I’ve only supplied the largest projects in south Fla , New Baptist Cancer building, Miami Children’s hospital upgrade , Dolphin stadium remodel, Mt Sinai upgrade, Doctors hospital up grade , UM IPF . I can go on all these current projects.

I deal with the largest electrical contractors in Florida.

I have ODP ( owner direct purchase orders ) in hand of over $2,000,000.00 dollar.

I take ownership of my job for over 40 years of seniority in the electrical distribution business .

Sorry U asked I KNOW A THING OR TWO BECAUSE I’VE BEEN THROUGH A THING OR TWO.

This business is a HERO TO ZERO business not for the feeble of heart.

I work on the anvil of pressure never constantly, I know these people the MCM what goes around is coming back at them and they know it.

I WORK AND LIVE WITH NOT WORRYING WHAT I SAID YESTERDAY BECAUSE OF HONESTY INTERTY AND RESPONSIBILITY.

U CAN’T HANDLE THE THRUTH

Many don’t and it’s unfolding NOW.

GOCANES

Bro, let's just put all our cards on the table. I paid you decent money to install some light fixtures at a rental property in Dania Beach and this is what my tenant walked in on. They said the entire time you were there that you kept calling yourself "THE GC" and were ordering around an imaginary crew. Unacceptable.

EcimLpS.jpg

Advertisement
Back