Bridge Collapse

Advertisement
Even though bad engineering could be the issue, and seems likely, we don’t know anything yet. Anything’s possible including even bad/weak materials like concrete, joints, a bad installation, an inspection that didn’t catch something, who knows. Maybe something as simple as a bad calculation. Maybe not.

If I remember correctly there was a suspension bridge decades ago in the Pacific Northwest somwehere where they didn’t take into account the cascade and amplification of twisting and torsional forces created by heavy winds and it literally waved goodbye into Puget sound. It took years to figure out exactly what happened from a science and engineering standpoint. Fortunately, no one died.

This may be an easy determination. Or not. What’s certain is that it’s a human tragedy.

I work for MCM. Very very sad day for everyone involved and all the families affected. I wish people people would allow the investigation to take place before blaming anyone or anything. No one knows what happened at this time, yet there are ton of people on tv and the internet acting like the investigation is complete. Barely a second spent to mourn the dead.

I have a bad feeling more than 10 people will be dead when all is said and done. Supposedly there are 8 cars trapped under the bridge. You have to figure it'd be a miracle if less than 8 people died. Not sure if the engineers can go to prison unless there was something intentionally done wrong. Otherwise, I imagine they'll lose their licenses to ever work as engineers again and will be sued into bankruptcy.

Even though bad engineering could be the issue, and seems likely, we don’t know anything yet. Anything’s possible including even bad/weak materials like concrete, joints, a bad installation, an inspection that didn’t catch something, who knows. Maybe something as simple as a bad calculation. Maybe not.

If I remember correctly there was a suspension bridge decades ago in the Pacific Northwest somwehere where they didn’t take into account the cascade and amplification of twisting and torsional forces created by heavy winds and it literally waved goodbye into Puget sound. It took years to figure out exactly what happened from a science and engineering standpoint. Fortunately, no one died.

This may be an easy determination. Or not. What’s certain is that it’s a human tragedy.
It’s actually being announced that both companies involved have both been fined/investigated for subpar work with injuries. One of these investigations was opened in the last month...apparently one of these companies are working on the expansion of Fort Lauderdale International Airport.

I work for MCM. Very very sad day for everyone involved and all the families affected. I wish people people would allow the investigation to take place before blaming anyone or anything. No one knows what happened at this time, yet there are ton of people on tv and the internet acting like the investigation is complete. Barely a second spent to mourn the dead.
What’s up with this project then? And what happened with the FLL incident?

Advertisement
I have a bad feeling more than 10 people will be dead when all is said and done. Supposedly there are 8 cars trapped under the bridge. You have to figure it'd be a miracle if less than 8 people died. Not sure if the engineers can go to prison unless there was something intentionally done wrong. Otherwise, I imagine they'll lose their licenses to ever work as engineers again and will be sued into bankruptcy.

Agree with you 100%. Everyone else wants to point fingers and find the quick and easy scapegoat. Nobody knows the cause right know except that people are suffering and that should be the focus.

For a county that seemingly has more road construction and pork projects then any in the country, the rush job for this to go up isn't shocking. Terrible event. Had someone in the circle who escaped barely. He was at the stop light and the bridge collapsed on the rear of his car. Terrible.

Advertisement
I can't even make my usual snarky jokes about something like this. I can't imagine what it must be like to be pinned and crushed under a collapse like that. I remember what happened after that S.F. Bay area earthquake in about '89. Years before, I used to drive the Bay Bridge and that East Bay freeway both of which collapsed upon the level below, filled with vehicles. Horrible way to die if you're pinned and can't be reached for days.

I rode that East Bay freeway for the first time to the Raiders headquarters to pick up tickets for the opening game of the '73 season--Raiders vs. defending champion Dolphins. Played in UC Berkeley stadium. Weirdest sensation--that freeway kept moving up and down as one drove. Apparently they built movement into it in the belief it wouldn't collapse in an earthquake.

It did.

(I was back on the east coast by the time of the earthquake.)

I'll never forget that drive for the tickets. Long before I was a Dolphin fan I was a Raider fan. That team was like a UM football alumni club: Bill Miller, Pete Banaszak, Dan Connors, later Ted Hendricks, Tony Cline....

I'll never that moving freeway, either.

Let's pray for the victims...

Advertisement
Safe to say the bridge failed it's stress test that was being performed
CORRECT....The bad thing is the MCM general contractors allowed a stress test with traffic and general population under the bridge...U will hear more of this.
Days before all were getting pats on the back taking all the glory now all U hear is ...NO COMMENT...

GOCANES

Yup, I have seen some reports saying this was the cause. Either way, it blows my mind that there wasn't shoring holding up the bridge until that stressing took place. Doesn't make sense. I know it's specialty construction and a relatively new system for constructing that bridge so don't know all the ins and outs but to remove shoring without having stressed the cable system that actually holds the bridge up and allow traffic to pass under is a major oversight. Not sure if it was due to pressure from the city to maintain 8th street open, a letter from the engineer stating that shoring wasn't necessary before or during stressing due to the unique construction of the bridge, or a delayed stressing of the cable/s due to inspector availability. All weird scenarios. There should've been shoring until the stress test was performed.

Advertisement
Let’s wait until the investigation is complete to cast blame. This is a tragedy. All I know is that the Munillas are great people.

Let’s wait until the investigation is complete to cast blame. This is a tragedy. All I know is that the Munillas are great people.
U can be good people and still ***** up.....there the GC period and responsible for the project from top to bottom U watch.

GOCANES

Certainly a tragedy!! Don't know why it happened and that's what the investigation is for.

Much to early to point fingers in ANY direction. Could be many things from the engineering design, materials used, poor construction, lack of inspection, or a combination of factors etc etc. Anyone claiming to know right now who is at fault and why, is just guessing

Fact is, for those who are speculating, all we know now is that the bridge collapsed and several deaths resulted.

That is why each of these types of events are investigated. Also, the fact that any company has been investigated in the past does NOT signify guilt since all parties involved in structural failure events are investigated. Being investigated is far different from being found at fault.

When % of fault is finally determined after a thorough investigation and review by experts, that's when the finger pointing can start.

But as usual some can't wait.

Last edited:
Certainly a tragedy!! Don't know why it happened and that's what the investigation is for.

Much to early to point fingers in ANY direction. Could be many things from the engineering design, materials used, poor construction, lack of inspection, or a combination of factors etc etc. Anyone claiming to know right now who is at fault and why, is just guessing

Fact is, for those who are speculating, all we know now is that the bridge collapsed.

That is why each of these types of events are investigated. Also, the fact that any company has been investigated in the past does NOT signify guilt since all parties involved in structural failure events are investigated. Being investigated is far different from being found at fault.

When % of fault is finally determined after a thorough investigation and review by experts, that's when the finger pointing can start. But as usual some can't wait.

U all apparently are a NOT familiar at ALL with the construction business ,I'm telling U the GC is responsible for every single aspect of a project EVERYTHING PERIOD mechanical , electrical,personnel , job site security , safety meeting, even people climbing the fence that steal and do damage and YES even the weather......even material deliveries whom are NOT dressed correctly....even parking of the LUNCH TRUCK.....

U WATCH WHAT OSHA DOES......WAKE UP...OMG.

GOCANES

Advertisement
Back