Bridge Collapse

I'm the one that mentioned that the bridge seemed to have been put up "out of sequence"

And that ( see the bold and underlined above^^^) is exactly what I was referring to. The main span is usually put up after the bridge supports are in place in order to be able to support its full weight. ( which is the safest way )

BTW I've worked as a Engineering Project Manager for over 20 years. That's not to say that I know everything about bridge construction, especially ABC construction, which I've never claimed, BUT based on my experiences, I stand by the statement I made.

As I've also said before none of us will know the all the facts until the investigation is completed. I'm willing to wait and not speculate further beyond what I've already said
I agree we all had a lot of emotions on this sad event that hit close to us whom live Westchester / Sweetwater area to witness this , but bottom line MainlineCane your correct let it all play out..spot on

GOCANES

Advertisement
the post you quoted said it was "out of sequence" which i thought was silly.

again i am no bridge expert but i can almost guarantee the problem wasn't that it was built out of sequence. it is likely these guys screwed up but this was not some handyman doing this. what kind of professional, even one prone to mistakes, would do a major bridge project out of sequence? anything is possible but this is not likely.

Guess we just disagree.

The sole purpose of ABC is to save time. In construction time is $$. Shortcuts are often taken during construction especially if they think its safe to do so. IMO The lack of the span being fully supported combined with the crack (and whatever else they may find) made putting up the span the way they did "out of sequence" without it being fully supported a very risky proposition.

I've already explained my experiences with the bridge building process sequence that are usually followed to insure the utmost safety.

I won't argue nor explain any further especially since you can guarantee that its not what happened. I just know that I can't guarantee my opinion so I'm awaiting the full investigation for the final determination.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back