Bracketology

I think losing to GT was a bad loss. I am not part of the "every away loss is OK" crowd.
I hear you. I agree we should have beaten GTech and BC even though they were road games. But road games are tough to win and this is a young team. But I do think those 2 games should have been wins. Syracuse too but the zone kills us.

Advertisement
I hear you. I agree we should have beaten GTech and BC even though they were road games. But road games are tough to win and this is a young team. But I do think those 2 games should have been wins. Syracuse too but the zone kills us.

GT, BC and Cuse were inexcusable. What might have been............. I guess we put ourselves in position to avenge those "No Mas" losses with the big win last night, though.

Every season every team wins games they shouldn't win and they lose games they shouldn't lose. Good thing about this season is no really bad out of conference loss. And 7 losses in conference and only 2 or 3 we probably should have won. But didn't. There isn't a really crippling loss that'd keep us out of the tourney. Plus we just beat number 9 UNC at their house on senior night. And lead almost the whole game. Helps take away the sting of the gtech and BC losses.

Its so hard rooting for FSU but hopefully they can beat Clemson right now.

Edit: **** FSU has no heart.

Last edited:
We finished 5-4 on the road in the ACC. We should have beaten BC and GT, but we didn't. It's also the ACC, and no road game is a gimmie (maybe Pitt) no matter who it is (again, maybe Pitt). When we won the ACC, we beat BC by 1 on the road, only because they missed a FT in the last seconds. That BC team was 16-17, 7-11. We got absolutely blown out by a 13-18, 6-12 Wake Forest team that year.

We have quality wins against UNC (road), NC State (road), Va Tech (road), Middle TN (neutral) and good wins against Louisville (home), FSU (home), and ND (road).

We're in the 7-8 range now. Win on Saturday and win 1 in the ACCT and we're in the 5-6 range IMO. Anyway, we're playing for seeding now, which is nice.

Advertisement
Need to get off the 7 line to the 6 line. Do not want to be matched up with Michigan State in Detroit or Duke in Charlotte

Need to get off the 7 line to the 6 line. Do not want to be matched up with Michigan State in Detroit or Duke in Charlotte

I agree, as the current 3 seeds seem to drop off in quality and aren't playing in their backyards. One minor note -- if we play Duke in the ACC tournament, then we couldn't match up against them until the regional semifinals.

Advertisement
Can we play an ACC team in the 2nd round?

I had to re-read the NCAA's seeding rules on that point. We can, if we haven't played that team more than once during the year (including in the ACC tourney). If you have played twice, then the Regional semis are the first time you can play. If you've played three times, then its the Regional finals.

I had to re-read the NCAA's seeding rules on that point. We can, if we haven't played that team more than once during the year (including in the ACC tourney). If you have played twice, then the Regional semis are the first time you can play. If you've played three times, then its the Regional finals.
I have never seen 2 teams from the same conference play each other in the 2nd round before and I doubt I will this year.

Advertisement
From the best source ever...wiki...

Teams are spread out according to conference. The first three teams selected from each conference must be placed in different regions (with a slight exception in 2014, when 11th seed play-in team Tennesseewas placed in the Midwest Region with conference foe 8th seed Kentucky). When a conference has more than three teams in the tournament, the committee tries to seed the teams so that they cannot meet until the regional final. Before 2006, this was an absolute rule. However, in the summer of 2005, the NCAA changed its rules to allow intraconference matchups as early as the second round of the tournament, assuming all measures to keep the teams apart until the regional finals have been exhausted. The NCAA was clearly preparing for the chance that a conference would place more than eight teams in the tournament, which became a realistic possibility when the Big East, already a power conference, expanded to 16 members, with several of the new members having traditionally strong programs. The Big East placed a record eleven teams in the 2011 Tournament, and nine teams in the 2012 Tournament. Although the Big East split into two leagues in 2013, the issue of conferences placing more than eight teams in the tournament remained, due to several other leagues expanding in the early 2010s (notably the ACC to 15, and the Big Ten and SEC to 14 each).

Granted a lot can happen between now and the tourney...IMO, after this win we're looking at a 6 seed. Before this game, I think we were the highest ranked 7 seed. I think beating another NCAAT team moves us into that 6th seed area.

Advertisement
Lunardi had us a 7 seed yesterday. I don't know if that came out before the VT game or after. I'm not complaining, but I'm just pointing out that it seems as if Lunardi seems to be reluctant to move us up much, even dropping us after wins.

Lunardi had us a 7 seed yesterday. I don't know if that came out before the VT game or after. I'm not complaining, but I'm just pointing out that it seems as if Lunardi seems to be reluctant to move us up much, even dropping us after wins.

I asked this before but how accurate is Lunardi?

I don't mean, how many of the 68 teams can he pick. I mean, if he says a team is a "4" or "13", how often are they that number?

Haha Oklahoma won't even make the tourney unless they win their own tourney and get an automatic bid. They have really collapsed as has Arizona State.

theyre dying to get this overrated turniver machine young in the tourney wouldnt be surprised to see them squeek in with a couple conf tourney wins

Advertisement
Back