Bracketology

24 in the AP. Not bad.
Ok... UM is #24 in country. Things will take care of themselves...I hope.

But how in the **** is UNC #12 at 22-9 and coming off of two losses? They were ranked at #9 last week fcol. To even further the argument against...they are now the 6th seed in same league behind the 3 seed UM, but are 12 spots higher than UM in the AP poll...?

This is not a bias against UM by the media, but a complete shill job in favor of UNC. I could live with something like, UM being ranked 21ish and UNC being 18ish...but this is insane. This is why their athletic program can do whatever they want and nothing ever happens to them...the darlings of the media and the NCAA.

UNC- 9 L's
Texas Tech- 8 L's
Ohio St.- 8 L's
West Virginia- 9 L's
UF- 11 L's

All the above ranked ahead of UM. What a joke.

Advertisement
Ok... UM is #24 in country. I'm not going to gripe about that because things will take care of themselves hopefully.

But how in the **** is UNC #12 at 22-9 and coming off of two losses? They were ranked at #9 last week fcol. To even further the argument against...they are now the 6th seed in same league behind the 3 seed UM, but are 12 spots higher than UM in the AP poll...?

This is not a bias against UM by the media, but a complete shill job in favor of UNC. I could live with something like, UM being ranked 21ish and UNC being 18ish...but this is insane. This is why their athletic program can do whatever they want and nothing ever happens to them...the darlings of the media and the NCAA.

UNC- 9 L's
Texas Tech- 8 L's
Ohio St.- 8 L's
West Virginia- 9 L's
UF- 11 L's

I agree. Total BS that UNC is ranked at 12. I think they are more deserving of a 18-21 spot.

I asked this before but how accurate is Lunardi?

I don't mean, how many of the 68 teams can he pick. I mean, if he says a team is a "4" or "13", how often are they that number?

@Notsince1985 He is the 40th most accurate out of the major Bracketologists. http://www.bracketmatrix.com/rankings.html
You can click and get the breakdown by year of how accurate he is, but last year he picked 62 of the 68 teams on or within 1 line of their actual seeding.

Advertisement
I am not asking that. Look what I am actually asking.

I know you asked for the exact seed. You can look at his picks yourself from the past 5 years and decide, but I was just saying that he is pretty **** accurate. If he says you are a 4 seed then 91% of the time you will fall within a 3-5 seed range.

Edit: last year he picked 33/68 teams exactly.

UNC- 9 L's
Texas Tech- 8 L's
Ohio St.- 8 L's
West Virginia- 9 L's
UF- 11 L's

Just sorting by the loss column and complaining is a little disingenuous....

For example:
vs RPI Top 25
UNC (5-5)
TTU (4-1)
OSU (3-3)
WVU (3-6)
UF (5-3)
Miami (1-3)

vs the RPI Top 100
UNC 15-8
Miami 9-7

That has to matter, right? TTU and WVU are not basketball blue bloods getting the benefit of the doubt. The deserve to be ranked above us as their resume is better. UNC deserves to be ranked higher, OSU most people without orange and green glasses would argue they should be ranked higher......UF is the only one you listed that should be lower than us based upon their numerous bad losses.....but they also have 5 top 25 wins to our 1.

Last edited:

UNC- 9 L's
Texas Tech- 8 L's
Ohio St.- 8 L's
West Virginia- 9 L's
UF- 11 L's

UNC had the #1 SOS in the nation (we were 49). They had more games (18) and more wins (11) against "Quadrant 1" opponents than any team in the nation (we had 10 games and 5 wins). Their RPI is 6. UNC is under ranked at 12.

Advertisement
I'm not saying that UNC shouldn't be ranked higher than us...but 12 spots??? I think what each team did in the ACC speaks for itself.

As for those other teams, they all get bloated SOS based upon their conference opponents who are overrated to begin with. Does anyone actually think that the Big 12 or SEC are even close in strength to the ACC? After our game on Saturday, I watched the Baylor-KState game. It was like watching JV teams compared to the VT-UM game...speed, athletic ability, talent. And out of those two teams, one is definitely in, the other most likely...and they both build up SOS for teams like TT and WVU. Florida...please.

Just sorting by the loss column and complaining is a little disingenuous....

For example:
vs RPI Top 25
UNC (5-5)
TTU (4-1)
OSU (3-3)
WVU (3-6)
UF (5-3)
Miami (1-3)

vs the RPI Top 100
UNC 15-8
Miami 9-7

That has to matter, right? TTU and WVU are not basketball blue bloods getting the benefit of the doubt. The deserve to be ranked above us as their resume is better. UNC deserves to be ranked higher, OSU most people without orange and green glasses would argue they should be ranked higher......UF is the only one you listed that should be lower than us based upon their numerous bad losses.....but they also have 5 top 25 wins to our 1.
You may be correct but... OSU beat NOBODY out of conference... and TTU played NOBODY out of conference.

I believe that the ACC doesn’t get the credit they deserve... If you beat FSU, Louisville, NC St or sweep Vag Tech doesn’t carry as much weight as beating OU, TCU, KSt, or Texas... are you kidding me?!?

beating UNC in the ACC Tourney would make us a 5, I would think?

I think, unless something crazy happens, we're a 6 seed if we lose.

Please note this is a hypothetical.

If we beat UNC, we're a 5.

I also think each game we win, we will move up 1 spot if we beat someone that is a top 10 team.

So hypothetically, if we beat UNC then Duke then UVA, we're a 3 seed.

Advertisement
You may be correct but... OSU beat NOBODY out of conference... and TTU played NOBODY out of conference.

I believe that the ACC doesn’t get the credit they deserve... If you beat FSU, Louisville, NC St or sweep Vag Tech doesn’t carry as much weight as beating OU, TCU, KSt, or Texas... are you kidding me?!?

You have to be fair and honest...

TTU win over Nevada is better than any non-conference win Miami has. So you can't complain about TTU and OSU non-conference schedule and ignore ours.

Lets compare those ACC 4 versus the Big12 4 you stated (Lets look at records versus non-conference Teams)

ACC Teams (5 wins vs 4 losses)
Wins vs Top 100 (#18 Arizona,#36 UF,#58 Washington,#80 Penn State,#100 Southern Illinois)
Losses to RPI 51 or higher (#82 UNC Greensboro,#87 OK State,#136 Norther Iowa,#149 Saint Louis)

B12 Teams (8 wins vs 4 losses)
Wins vs Top 100 (#12 Wichita St, #14 Nevada, #22 St. Bonaventure, #35 USC, #45 Butler, #57 Bama, #66 Oregon, #79 UGA)
Losses to RPI 51 or higher (#51 ASU, #57 Bama, #69 Tulsa, #113 Vandy)

So with honest objectivity......tell me why beating FSU, Lville, NC State and VT is more impressive than beating OU, TCU, KSt and Texas?

Out of conference those 4 teams were more impressive.....

I think, unless something crazy happens, we're a 6 seed if we lose.

Please note this is a hypothetical.

If we beat UNC, we're a 5.

I also think each game we win, we will move up 1 spot if we beat someone that is a top 10 team.

So hypothetically, if we beat UNC then Duke then UVA, we're a 3 seed.

I agree with this analysis.

I'm not saying that UNC shouldn't be ranked higher than us...but 12 spots??? I think what each team did in the ACC speaks for itself.

As for those other teams, they all get bloated SOS based upon their conference opponents who are overrated to begin with. Does anyone actually think that the Big 12 or SEC are even close in strength to the ACC? After our game on Saturday, I watched the Baylor-KState game. It was like watching JV teams compared to the VT-UM game...speed, athletic ability, talent. And out of those two teams, one is definitely in, the other most likely...and they both build up SOS for teams like TT and WVU. Florida...please.
Not counting out of conference, UNC split series against Clemson and Duke. We lost to both. UNC also didn't lose to any of the bottom-tier teams in the ACC. They lost to literally every other team in the top 8 of the ACC one time, and if they played them twice they beat them once. So no recent bad losses, and beating Duke and Clemson could warrant their current spot. I think we should be like 20th though.

Advertisement
Not counting out of conference, UNC split series against Clemson and Duke. We lost to both. UNC also didn't lose to any of the bottom-tier teams in the ACC. They lost to literally every other team in the top 8 of the ACC one time, and if they played them twice they beat them once. So no recent bad losses, and beating Duke and Clemson could warrant their current spot. I think we should be like 20th though.
Yes UNC had a great season in and out of the ACC but they finished season losing 2 in a row and usually that'll knock you down more than 3 spots in the rankings. The rankings are all about what you have done lately. UNC doesn't have any bad losses in conference but their worst loss of the season is at home vs Wofford. Way worse than any loss we have had this season. Just wanted to point that out.

You have to be fair and honest...

TTU win over Nevada is better than any non-conference win Miami has. So you can't complain about TTU and OSU non-conference schedule and ignore ours.

Lets compare those ACC 4 versus the Big12 4 you stated (Lets look at records versus non-conference Teams)

ACC Teams (5 wins vs 4 losses)
Wins vs Top 100 (#18 Arizona,#36 UF,#58 Washington,#80 Penn State,#100 Southern Illinois)
Losses to RPI 51 or higher (#82 UNC Greensboro,#87 OK State,#136 Norther Iowa,#149 Saint Louis)

B12 Teams (8 wins vs 4 losses)
Wins vs Top 100 (#12 Wichita St, #14 Nevada, #22 St. Bonaventure, #35 USC, #45 Butler, #57 Bama, #66 Oregon, #79 UGA)
Losses to RPI 51 or higher (#51 ASU, #57 Bama, #69 Tulsa, #113 Vandy)

So with honest objectivity......tell me why beating FSU, Lville, NC State and VT is more impressive than beating OU, TCU, KSt and Texas?

Out of conference those 4 teams were more impressive.....

Why is St. Mary's ranked higher than us?

Please tell me through your "fair and honest" glasses.

I'll wait

Why shouldn't they be....

I'll wait.
Maybe because they have one good win on the season... Gonzaga. They haven't beaten anyone else worth mentioning. They just lost in their conference tourney and didn't even make the finals. They're a solid team but they don't have the greatest resume.

Advertisement
Back