BIG 10 Players Group Demand Revenue Share

A scholarship's a scholarship. If you deserve it for the grades you've received or your athletic prowess, you should reap the benefits.

I will say it would be nice if the NCAA (or the future ruling body for athletics as it appears the NCAA is on its way out) would mandate that all NIL deals provide a dollar for dollar sharing with the school's general scholarship fund. At least give some semblance of showing education has a piece of the pie and not just individual players are reaping the rewards.
How exactly would the NCAA/future ruling body have the legal standing to mandate this?

Advertisement
Advertisement
I watched even during these down years cause I always knew we were capable of gathering some sort of first round talent at times. Those guys are fun to watch. If u got arena league type players with no chance of getting studs...... bruh I dunno man....

I watched even during these down years cause I always knew we were capable of gathering some sort of first round talent at times. Those guys are fun to watch. If u got arena league type players with no chance of getting studs...... bruh I dunno man....
If won’t happen so there’s no need to worry

Last edited:
Advertisement
what about the regular students on full ride making thousands of dollars off of Youtube/IG/TikTok should they pay for their books and everything too?

U’re literally comparing apples & oranges. Lol. That’s the whole point of NIL; a student athlete shouldn’t be hindered to get paid (not pay-for-play, but earned income outside of commitment) while being a college student. We’re talking about a student athlete wanting to be treated as a school employee taking $$ from conference negotiated contracts. That’s a totally different scenario from what u described.

Hard to see negotiated CBA-style revenue sharing anytime soon. A union or players association would be needed. Not impossible, but would take considerable time.

What I‘d like to see is mega-conferences increasing the stipend attached to the scholarship. Add insurance for career-ending injury, with lifetime health insurance related to sport-related injuries. Encourage players to put some of these earnings into a pension or other retirement investments. Post-career education benefits (like at Miami) for the 99% who never play a down in the NFL.

Title IX issues? Work them out. Like many issues, times have changed and adjustment is needed.

NIL? That Pandora’s Box is wide open. Might be too late to pull back. I suspect over the next few seasons we’ll see the process self-correct. As much as it may not be a preference, federal legislation to ensure a level playing field as related to rules may be needed.

Last edited:
Advertisement
How exactly would the NCAA/future ruling body have the legal standing to mandate this?
Excellent point and you're right, there really is no standing to do that now. However, I could see where schools could argue that these NIL deals do affect the image of the school in the public as these NIL deals come into being because of the player's association with the school as a player. Without the recognition as a student-athlete at the school, there would be no deal. The school's brand is therefore affected by the NIL deal as well.

Imagine if instead of Ruiz's company providing NIL deals, it was Tootsie's Cabaret or Marlboro cigarettes or some other controversial business? I'd think Miami would be able to argue it negatively affects the school's image, even if no Miami logos are included in the advertisements. It will be interesting to see what lawsuits and judgements arise in the future.

@Cribby, I have to assume this news accelerates our pursuit to join another conference. Every indicator points to us being screwed in the long run if we don’t sacrifice now to make the jump to the SEC or B1G.

Advertisement
Hard to see negotiated CBA-style revenue sharing anytime soon. A union or players association would be needed. Not impossible, but would take considerable time.

What I‘d like to see is mega-conferences increasing the stipend attached to the scholarship. Add insurance for career-ending injury, with lifetime health insurance related to sport-related injuries. Encourage players to put some of these earnings into a pension or other retirement investments. Post-career education benefits (like at Miami) for the 99% who never play a down in the NFL.

Title IX issues? Work them out. Like many issues, times have changed and adjustment is needed.

NIL? That Pandora’s Box is wide open. Might be too late to pull back. I suspect over the next few seasons we’ll see the process self-correct. As much as it may not be a preference, federal legislation to ensure a level playing field as related to rules may be needed.

Wish I could like this post 1000x. Totally agree.

Excellent point and you're right, there really is no standing to do that now. However, I could see where schools could argue that these NIL deals do affect the image of the school in the public as these NIL deals come into being because of the player's association with the school as a player. Without the recognition as a student-athlete at the school, there would be no deal. The school's brand is therefore affected by the NIL deal as well.

Imagine if instead of Ruiz's company providing NIL deals, it was Tootsie's Cabaret or Marlboro cigarettes or some other controversial business? I'd think Miami would be able to argue it negatively affects the school's image, even if no Miami logos are included in the advertisements. It will be interesting to see what lawsuits and judgements arise in the future.
I‘ve often posted about the intellectual property rights angle of NIL. You’re the first other person I’ve seen mention it.

Some schools do have rules about which products can be represented. BYU, Mormon and all, has quite a list. Miami has some I suppose. State laws might also apply. If the legal drinking age is 21 can a 19-year old be a spokesperson for an alcoholic beverage company (for fun, think of Canes repping The Rock’s tequila brand)? Or a chain of bars? A strip club? if not mistaken, state NIL laws might apply as well.

A school owns their NIL brand and should be able to limit players associating themselves, as representatives of the school, with products the school disapproves. Not sure if the school can limit all association. Assuming no other legal restriction, could Miami prevent a player from repping a cannabis dispensary, if the player was not naming or wearing anything about The U? On the flip side, would anyone hire the player without the association? And if the player did, would other unrelated business want him to represent them?

Point being other legal and marketplace forces work into these issues. There are NIL boundaries on both sides, and an intellectual property attorney would need to answer those questions.

This wasn‘t your original statement though.

You called for mandating the NIL payer (Ruiz, for example) contribute dollar-for-dollar to the player’s school scholarship fund. That has nothing to do with branding. Sounds more like wanting a slice of the player‘s outside income. I‘ll pre-apologize if mistaken.

Last edited:
I‘ve often posted about the intellectual property rights angle of NIL. You’re the first other person I’ve seen mention it.

Some schools do have rules about which products can be represented. BYU, Mormon and all, has quite a list. Miami has some I suppose. State laws might also apply. If the legal drinking age is 21 can a 19-year old be a spokesperson for an alcoholic beverage company (for fun, think of Canes repping The Rock’s tequila brand)? Or a chain of bars? A strip club? if not mistaken, state NIL laws might apply as well.

A school owns their NIL brand and should be able to limit players associating themselves, as representatives of the school, with products the school disapproves. Not sure if the school can limit all association. Assuming no other legal restriction, could Miami prevent a player from repping a cannabis dispensary, if the player was not naming or wearing anything about The U? On the flip side, would anyone hire the player without the association? And if the player did, would other unrelated business want him to represent them?

Point being other legal and marketplace forces work into these issues. There are NIL boundaries on both sides, and an intellectual property attorney would need to answer those questions.

This wasn‘t your original statement though.

You called for mandating the NIL payer (Ruiz, for example) contribute dollar-for-dollar to the player’s school scholarship fund. That has nothing to do with branding. Sounds more like wanting a slice of the player‘s outside income. I‘ll pre-apologize if mistaken.
No apology needed. IMO it's not really wanting a slice of the player's income, but rather, collecting the school's portion of its participation. Like you said, without the player's association with the university, there would be no NIL deal. And you're right, it probably wouldn't be a dollar for dollar rate.

My point is, Miami is not Miami without the players we all fell in love with. I wouldn’t even be a fan if it wasn’t for Ed Reed, Clinton Portis, Ken Dorsey, Santana Moss… the list goes on and on. The players made the U. The players make the sport.

I’m surprised on your stance considering I know you understand the grind of being a D1 athlete. I was P5 athlete graduated in 2015. 4x All big 12. I was beyond broke in college. Scholarship check was $870 a month. I had enough money to pay rent and buy cheap groceries. Thank god for NIL now so these guys don’t have to live like we did but even that isn’t enough.

I’m grateful for my scholarship but now I’m 29 and because of injuries suffered in college I wake up some days and my body is done, Limping around, chronic pain and it’s something I’ll deal with for life. The bills, as well as, the physical limitations. More times that not, that’s the norm. The physical tool put on your body alone is worthy of compensation. So many of my teammates and friends careers ended due to injury and that’s across the board in all college sports.

Football is a dangerous game that imo at the college level shouldn’t be played for free. Players need to maximize their monetary value while they have the opportunity. These schools are set to make make hundreds of millions of dollars off football players in exchange for an education. Once players have served their time, they’re cut off without a care in the world. Guys continue to get bigger, faster, stronger. We all know CTE is real. The value of the product on the field continues to increase. BUT, to most, college football players are just a number on the back of jersey. They should shut up and put their helmet on, be grateful for their education. Keep these dudes down as much as possible and give them just enough to get by. It truly is modern day share cropping. Here’s your freedom(education) but that money you made us with them blood, sweat and tears while you were here… don’t ask us for ****! That’s our money! Be gone now lol

You’re not really giving me any kind of explanation on why players shouldn’t get a cut of the TV money. No disrespect, a lot of y’all are sounding like true haters.

Who's to say you wouldn't have fallen in love with the players on the team in some imaginary world where all those you listed skipped playing here for some imaginary league? We don't know who their replacements would've been. Also, if we're talking about some elite league, maybe they get passed over.

I can't argue with the idea that the stipend for athletes is miniscule. I didn't have a money issue thanks to my family, but I feel you on that. I'm not against more money and truth be told, I'm not sure where my line in the sand is.

I'm fortunate, I didn't sustain any severe injuries in college. I've had one broken bone my entire life and that was as a sophomore. No aches and pains, I was simply lucky. That certainly isn't the case for everyone and I do believe that medical expenses should be covered once departed. That's whether you graduate or play in one practice, they're on the hook.

I hear you on the rest. Like I said, I'm not sure where my line in the sand is. I absolutely do not feel that anyone should be compensated above and beyond that of the lowest paying positional coaches in D1 or whatever level you're playing in. That or you take an average of those on that level.

Those guys put the same amount of sweat in that you or I did as well as so many others. They had to work to where they got. A true livable (with some fun money thrown in as you're not allowed to hold a job, rather earn over a certain amount (pre-nil)) wage or stipend if you will I'm fine with that.

There's just so many moving pieces here it's beyond my realm of expertise. I'd have to write down a lot think a lot, and then pretend to be knowledgeable in law, and then I'd still be off the mark on what was possible.

Some of the numbers being thrown around that NIL allows for are obscene to me. This latest generation wants everything and wants it now. Where's the carrot, to keep them working. Lots of money at an early age, while beneficial to some, will be destructive to others. The pressure, it's already high and now you're burdening them with even more, from friends, family, and to keep the cash coming. That in itself isn't a reason to axe whatever idea, but it's gotta be a consideration. I know I sure appreciate things more now than I did back then. I would've likely fallen out and who knows where I'd be.

The whole thing is the Wild West right now. Keep exploring options and people far smarter than I with a wealth of resources at their disposal will come to some conclusion. After that, they'll tweek it and then some more. Some will like it and some won't. Hunger makes hungry people work. They want to eat too, but when is it too attainable or easy? Heck if I know.

Advertisement
Back