BIG 10 Players Group Demand Revenue Share

johnnytsunami01

Sophomore
BIG 10 players are asking for a percentage of the new media rights deals for the players. If they get this SEC is sure to follow and will allow a HUGE competitive advantage for those conferences in recruiting, making it even more imperative to join one of those conferences ASAP. The question is will Title IX allow it.

Josh Pate talks about it starting min. 9:

Advertisement
I would literally tell all these kids that want all of this to kick rocks if this were to happen. Let the NFL set up a minor league system (which they don't want to do) and have at it. The colleges will then bring in whoever wants to be there and it'll still be far more interesting to watch than what the other league is doing with far more support.

They go this route, you're playing your scholarship, housing, insurance, everything down to the trainers.

Advertisement
I would literally tell all these kids that want all of this to kick rocks if this were to happen. Let the NFL set up a minor league system (which they don't want to do) and have at it. The colleges will then bring in whoever wants to be there and it'll still be far more interesting to watch than what the other league is doing with far more support.

They go this route, you're playing your scholarship, housing, insurance, everything down to the trainers.
You sound ridiculous saying that a product with inferior players will be better than a product with elite players. When all colleges can get is second rate athletes that have no choice but to “be there” everything will suffer. The TV contracts and the money those schools will make off the sport. Fan enthusiasm doesn’t pay the bills….ITS THE TV MONEY!!!

Just say what you think instead of these ridiculous platitudes. You don’t believe these kids deserve **** even though it’s their blood and sweat equity that is making the money. Thank God colleges would never have this short sighted thinking. They know eventually it has to be done. Can’t risk that 100 million especially when the part they will be giving the players would be minuscule (talking 3-5% MAX).

I actually somewhat agree with Pate on this one. It's all headed to collective bargaining and a players union. And I think it COULD be good for the sport IF the conferences could negotiate in terms on transfers, NIL, etc. That's what CBA's are all about.

However...

What I think he straight up ignores is the factor of other sports and legal aspects like Title IX. You cannot only give money to football. So when he says $40k/player is only $3.4m, that's only for 85 scholarship players. Most schools have something like 400+ total. Miami is close to 500 and large schools have way more. Do they all deserve an equal share? The capitalist in me says no, but that doesn't matter. And this isn't an NCAA issue, it's a federal one. Even if football only goes away from the NCAA, they are still under the schools and then must comply with Title IX.

So let's say, like he suggests, each player gets $40k (a low number, I believe). For 500 student-athletes, now you're at $20m/year. Still reasonable for the $100m+ each school will get in those TV deals, but I could see pushback from the schools, but I also think the players would want more of an equal share like in the NFL. What if the number jumps to $100k/player/year? Now you're talking $50m/year/school. It could all get messy.

This is why I think the ACC, Big 12, etc are dead men walking. They won't be able to compete with those mega conferences if this happens. I also think, as I've posted elsewhere, it will separate the haves and the have-nots in college football. It will create another tier/division that is above current Go5 and below the national big money players. The question is will conference have the stones to kick out unattractive media schools for a more attractive school coming in if it became a numbers game? Would SEC boot Vandy for a UNC or UVA, for example?

Like I said, it could get messy, but the end result could potentially be a lot better in the end. Or it could all collapse. We will see, I'm sure.

Advertisement
I actually somewhat agree with Pate on this one. It's all headed to collective bargaining and a players union. And I think it COULD be good for the sport IF the conferences could negotiate in terms on transfers, NIL, etc. That's what CBA's are all about.

However...

What I think he straight up ignores is the factor of other sports and legal aspects like Title IX. You cannot only give money to football. So when he says $40k/player is only $3.4m, that's only for 85 scholarship players. Most schools have something like 400+ total. Miami is close to 500 and large schools have way more. Do they all deserve an equal share? The capitalist in me says no, but that doesn't matter. And this isn't an NCAA issue, it's a federal one. Even if football only goes away from the NCAA, they are still under the schools and then must comply with Title IX.

So let's say, like he suggests, each player gets $40k (a low number, I believe). For 500 student-athletes, now you're at $20m/year. Still reasonable for the $100m+ each school will get in those TV deals, but I could see pushback from the schools, but I also think the players would want more of an equal share like in the NFL. What if the number jumps to $100k/player/year? Now you're talking $50m/year/school. It could all get messy.

This is why I think the ACC, Big 12, etc are dead men walking. They won't be able to compete with those mega conferences if this happens. I also think, as I've posted elsewhere, it will separate the haves and the have-nots in college football. It will create another tier/division that is above current Go5 and below the national big money players. The question is will conference have the stones to kick out unattractive media schools for a more attractive school coming in if it became a numbers game? Would SEC boot Vandy for a UNC or UVA, for example?

Like I said, it could get messy, but the end result could potentially be a lot better in the end. Or it could all collapse. We will see, I'm sure.
Title IX makes this tricky but I believe it can be done for women’s revenue sports like softball and Basketball. Non-revenue generating sports shouldn’t be in this convo IMO. People need to start being forward thinking with this stuff. It’s coming and nothing that antiquated thinking is going stop.

Title IX makes this tricky but I believe it can be done for women’s revenue sports like softball and Basketball. Non-revenue generating sports shouldn’t be in this convo IMO. People need to start being forward thinking with this stuff. It’s coming and nothing that antiquated thinking is going stop.
I hear you, but it doesn't really matter what we think. The law says equal opportunities, equal benefits. It cares not for capitalism, only equality.

You sound ridiculous saying that a product with inferior players will be better than a product with elite players. When all colleges can get is second rate athletes that have no choice but to “be there” everything will suffer. The TV contracts and the money those schools will make off the sport. Fan enthusiasm doesn’t pay the bills….ITS THE TV MONEY!!!

Just say what you think instead of these ridiculous platitudes. You don’t believe these kids deserve **** even though it’s their blood and sweat equity that is making the money. Thank God colleges would never have this short sighted thinking. They know eventually it has to be done. Can’t risk that 100 million especially when the part they will be giving the players would be minuscule (talking 3-5% MAX).

They don't know these kids who ink with their schools. They have no vested interest in some startup minor league system.

How watched is minor league baseball? College baseball is an inferior product to it regarding overall talent.

How watched is the NBA offshoots? College basketball is an inferior product compared to it regarding overall talent.

How many NFL offshoots have there been thay failed miserably?

You put players in the schools uniforms, they'll still come and come in droves. People love things associated with their college or university and will support it. You really think if the elite talent went to some minor league system, we all drop out Miami gear in the trash and start following whatever it's called? Seriously?

If the NCAA wasnt so corrupt, they could step in and assist in regulating this, but noooooo they would rather spend time picking and poking at schools for literally nothing.

Oh that would be Miami.

Advertisement
They don't know these kids who ink with their schools. They have no vested interest in some startup minor league system.

How watched is minor league baseball? College baseball is an inferior product to it regarding overall talent.

How watched is the NBA offshoots? College basketball is an inferior product compared to it regarding overall talent.

You put players in the schools uniforms, they'll still come and come in droves. People love things associated with their college or university and will support it. You really think if the elite talent went to some minor league system, we all drop out Miami gear in the trash and start following whatever it's called? Seriously?
You are right. The fans will come but the TV networks won’t. If the NFL starts a minor league with as popular as it is the TV money will go flocking to it because they know especially with football the number of elite talents playing in That environment will bring eyeballs. Baseball is a boring *** sport that frankly only has older people watching. The younger kids DGAF about it like football and basketball.

Football is a completely different animal. It’s this country’s most popular sport and fans want to know they are watching the best of the best play.

Like I said it’s inevitable and colleges aren’t going to be stupid to pass up that revenue. They know the deal.

C’mon now. This won’t be every conference. The Big 10 is set to make over $100M per school per year. You don’t think the players who make the deal possible are entitled to any of that money?

Pate said 3-4% clip towards the players would pay them 40k a year. That isn’t an unreasonable ask and I think they deserve more. If the conference response is what you’re saying, players should agree and push for 40%-50% of the revenue. Conference would still increase its current revenue by about 30%. Each football player Bank rolls 400k-500k per year and pays their own tuition and expenses. Deal lol The product is worth $100M because of the quality of the players. You lose that this is a completely different conversation.

At a certain point, What are these schools going to do with an additional $50-70M a year? Seriously, after two years making $100m’s facilities for all sports will be outrageous. Most of them in the big 10 are already ridiculous. Schools will be frivolously spending money on things they don’t need just because. Think about how much money these schools will be bringing in. TV revenue, Donor Contributions, Stadium revenue. They aren’t hurting for anything.

Players make these schools hundreds of millions of dollars literally risking their life for $50k a year with no retirement plan. The day the big 10/SEC signs this deal is that CFB changes forever. College scholarships only are thrown out the window. For better or worse. NFL minor league has been set up, now it’s just fully funded by Fox and Disney.

Bingo! If the NFL started up a minor league tomorrow, I'd still be watching college football, even with the reduced level of talent.

Advertisement
I hear you, but it doesn't really matter what we think. The law says equal opportunities, equal benefits. It cares not for capitalism, only equality.

I dont know what the answer is but with college football and mens basketball generating profits to subsidize every other sport, college sports as we know it would turn into Div3 athletics.

Glad I’m not tasked with the job

Bingo! If the NFL started up a minor league tomorrow, I'd still be watching college football, even with the reduced level of talent.

So would everyone else. They just want to be on the pay the players side cause the big bad schools are raking in money.

The money train will soon run out though. Younger generations don't care about sports like those born 30 years ago and beyond. It'll still be something people do come GameDay, but revenues are going to fall off a cliff.

You are right. The fans will come but the TV networks won’t. If the NFL starts a minor league with as popular as it is the TV money will go flocking to it because they know especially with football the number of elite talents playing in That environment will bring eyeballs. Baseball is a boring *** sport that frankly only has older people watching. The younger kids DGAF about it like football and basketball.

Football is a completely different animal. It’s this country’s most popular sport and fans want to know they are watching the best of the best play.

Like I said it’s inevitable and colleges aren’t going to be stupid to pass up that revenue. They know the deal.
Will they though? CFL and small leagues have better talent than high school kids. If they are lumped with NFL then they will be way less talent.

C’mon now. This won’t be every conference. The Big 10 is set to make over $100M per school per year. You don’t think the players who make the deal possible are entitled to any of that money?

Pate said 3-4% clip towards the players would pay them 40k a year. That isn’t an unreasonable ask and I think they deserve more. If the conference response is what you’re saying, players should agree and push for 40%-50% of the revenue. Conference would still increase its current revenue by about 30%. Each football player Bank rolls 400k-500k per year and pays their own tuition and expenses. Deal lol The product is worth $100M because of the quality of the players. You lose that this is a completely different conversation.

At a certain point, What are these schools going to do with an additional $50-70M a year? Seriously, after two years making $100m’s facilities for all sports will be outrageous. Most of them in the big 10 are already ridiculous. Schools will be frivolously spending money on things they don’t need just because. Think about how much money these schools will be bringing in. TV revenue, Donor Contributions, Stadium revenue. They aren’t hurting for anything.

Players make these schools hundreds of millions of dollars literally risking their life for $50k a year with no retirement plan. The day the big 10/SEC signs this deal is that CFB changes forever. College scholarships only are thrown out the window. For better or worse. NFL minor league has been set up, now it’s just fully funded by Fox and Disney.
I would push back and say the product is worth the value because of the brand. Nebraska is Nebraska because of its history not because of its current roster. The value is in the recognition.

Advertisement
Back