BIG 10 Players Group Demand Revenue Share

Do you think the NFL has any interest in a minor-league system?

I’m sure the nfl would have some level of interest. But it certainly would hurt a lot of kids due to the cut throat business nature. The hard part in all of this is that you can make rules or establish a system based upon outliers…. Meaning the athletes that go too 20 in the nfl draft

That’s why the NIL landscape is a solid solution wherein the free market dictates the rates. Not every player is equal

Social media is also another variable that allows athletes to monetize their popularity especially in womens sports

Advertisement
Ok now I understand what you are trying to say (thanks for the clarification). I still disagree though.

Look it may just be that in different environments the kids are showing less and less interest in watching sports. In my experience I am around alot of kids who are sports crazy watching NFL, College and NBA. I'm starting to see alot more watching soccer on TV as well (Premier League, MLS, La Liga). The knowledge these kids have watching sports has upgraded as well. When you have YouTube where kids can get highlight clips of their fav players as well as coaches explaining things I just can't see a universe where the love of watching sports on TV is ever going to die. Again this may just be a function of us seeing two different things in our daily lives.

20, 11, and 9, trust me I wish they watched some sports. I'd love the company.

Coaching all levels, not college though, I've often asked them to watch some game as I wanted to pick their brains and what not over some things. Only a kid or three bothered to do so. Heck, my kids it became so insufferable after an attempt or two, telling them to put down a tablet and then them asking me how much longer, I threw in the towel.

I didn't have those things growing up, so who knows, I get it some. The one **** thing I'll never understand is watching someone else play a video game. ****, do it yourself.

Do you think the NFL has any interest in a minor-league system?
Only if it makes financial sense. Right now they have a free minor league system, so unless they think they can make more money than the expenses it would take to run it, I don't think they'd be interested. Baseball minor leagues is in financial shambles right now. G-League is nice but it hardly draws the eyes that college basketball does. The NFL would have to believe they could create a sustainable product that is good for the bottom line. They have no need to change the status quo right now.

20, 11, and 9, trust me I wish they watched some sports. I'd love the company.

Coaching all levels, not college though, I've often asked them to watch some game as I wanted to pick their brains and what not over some things. Only a kid or three bothered to do so. Heck, my kids it became so insufferable after an attempt or two, telling them to put down a tablet and then them asking me how much longer, I threw in the towel.

I didn't have those things growing up, so who knows, I get it some. The one **** thing I'll never understand is watching someone else play a video game. ****, do it yourself.
LMFAOOO at watching the kids play a game on YouTube. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve clowned my son for that ****e. I know what you mean about that tablet life bro. It is a **** struggle with a 9 and 5 year old. I counteract that crap with mandatory unplugging and watching/playing a game or watching a TV show with me where we can discuss what’s on screen. It has recently now become everything we watch is a sport and I get peppered with questions which I love. Also took my 9 year old to his first live sporting event and he was enthralled. Now he can’t wait until I take him back to a game.

Advertisement
You sound ridiculous saying that a product with inferior players will be better than a product with elite players. When all colleges can get is second rate athletes that have no choice but to “be there” everything will suffer. The TV contracts and the money those schools will make off the sport. Fan enthusiasm doesn’t pay the bills….ITS THE TV MONEY!!!

Just say what you think instead of these ridiculous platitudes. You don’t believe these kids deserve **** even though it’s their blood and sweat equity that is making the money. Thank God colleges would never have this short sighted thinking. They know eventually it has to be done. Can’t risk that 100 million especially when the part they will be giving the players would be minuscule (talking 3-5% MAX).
Inferior vs elite - CFL and these new afl leagues what not have better players over all than college. They are professional after all. I would guess their ratings are bad. I don’t watch them at all.

As far as college goes. I would guess the 50s and 60s had inferior talent. Even the early 80’s. My guess is college football was big then.

The minor league NFL would be like the army Allstar game. No idea the ratings on that.

I don’t think high school kids acting as pros will do well.
Tv wise would probably hurt everyone. Except NFL.

Inferior vs elite - CFL and these new afl leagues what not have better players over all than college. They are professional after all. I would guess their ratings are bad. I don’t watch them at all.

As far as college goes. I would guess the 50s and 60s had inferior talent. Even the early 80’s. My guess is college football was big then.

The minor league NFL would be like the army Allstar game. No idea the ratings on that.

I don’t think high school kids acting as pros will do well.
Tv wise would probably hurt everyone. Except NFL.
So maybe my view is getting lost in translation so I’m going to try and make clear what I’m meaning to say.

I have no argument that CFB will always be loved and enthusiastically attended even with 2nd/3rd rate talent. It’s a given. It’s about school pride yadda yadda yadda.

I’m speaking strictly from the TV money standpoint. If the best football players say F colleges and NCAA we want to play for an NFL “G” League I believe the bulk TV money would go to that league especially with the NFL backing. CFB would still get money but a much smaller slice. I don’t believe colleges would like that due to that same exorbitant TV money supporting their athletic programs. I’m coming at it strictly from a Tv money perspective.

CFB fandom will never change. It will always be there regardless of player quality. Totally agree.

It might not be as strong as they're used to be, but they still have a rabid fan base. They're supporting bad teams with reckless abandon.

Get rid of our legends? We have other legends, those that came here and everyone talks about.
My point is, Miami is not Miami without the players we all fell in love with. I wouldn’t even be a fan if it wasn’t for Ed Reed, Clinton Portis, Ken Dorsey, Santana Moss… the list goes on and on. The players made the U. The players make the sport.

I’m surprised on your stance considering I know you understand the grind of being a D1 athlete. I was P5 athlete graduated in 2015. 4x All big 12. I was beyond broke in college. Scholarship check was $870 a month. I had enough money to pay rent and buy cheap groceries. Thank god for NIL now so these guys don’t have to live like we did but even that isn’t enough.

I’m grateful for my scholarship but now I’m 29 and because of injuries suffered in college I wake up some days and my body is done, Limping around, chronic pain and it’s something I’ll deal with for life. The bills, as well as, the physical limitations. More times that not, that’s the norm. The physical tool put on your body alone is worthy of compensation. So many of my teammates and friends careers ended due to injury and that’s across the board in all college sports.

Football is a dangerous game that imo at the college level shouldn’t be played for free. Players need to maximize their monetary value while they have the opportunity. These schools are set to make make hundreds of millions of dollars off football players in exchange for an education. Once players have served their time, they’re cut off without a care in the world. Guys continue to get bigger, faster, stronger. We all know CTE is real. The value of the product on the field continues to increase. BUT, to most, college football players are just a number on the back of jersey. They should shut up and put their helmet on, be grateful for their education. Keep these dudes down as much as possible and give them just enough to get by. It truly is modern day share cropping. Here’s your freedom(education) but that money you made us with them blood, sweat and tears while you were here… don’t ask us for ****! That’s our money! Be gone now lol

You’re not really giving me any kind of explanation on why players shouldn’t get a cut of the TV money. No disrespect, a lot of y’all are sounding like true haters.

Advertisement
Only if it makes financial sense. Right now they have a free minor league system, so unless they think they can make more money than the expenses it would take to run it, I don't think they'd be interested. Baseball minor leagues is in financial shambles right now. G-League is nice but it hardly draws the eyes that college basketball does. The NFL would have to believe they could create a sustainable product that is good for the bottom line. They have no need to change the status quo right now.
Completely agree I was just asking the question

My point is, Miami is not Miami without the players we all fell in love with. I wouldn’t even be a fan if it wasn’t for Ed Reed, Clinton Portis, Ken Dorsey, Santana Moss… the list goes on and on. The players made the U. The players make the sport.

I’m surprised on your stance considering I know you understand the grind of being a D1 athlete. I was P5 athlete graduated in 2015. 4x All big 12. I was beyond broke in college. Scholarship check was $870 a month. I had enough money to pay rent and buy cheap groceries. Thank god for NIL now so these guys don’t have to live like we did but even that isn’t enough.

I’m grateful for my scholarship but now I’m 29 and because of injuries suffered in college I wake up some days and my body is done, Limping around, chronic pain and it’s something I’ll deal with for life. The bills, as well as, the physical limitations. More times that not, that’s the norm. The physical tool put on your body alone is worthy of compensation. So many of my teammates and friends careers ended due to injury and that’s across the board in all college sports.

Football is a dangerous game that imo at the college level shouldn’t be played for free. Players need to maximize their monetary value while they have the opportunity. These schools are set to make make hundreds of millions of dollars off football players in exchange for an education. Once players have served their time, they’re cut off without a care in the world. Guys continue to get bigger, faster, stronger. We all know CTE is real. The value of the product on the field continues to increase. BUT, to most, college football players are just a number on the back of jersey. They should shut up and put their helmet on, be grateful for their education. Keep these dudes down as much as possible and give them just enough to get by. It truly is modern day share cropping. Here’s your freedom(education) but that money you made us with them blood, sweat and tears while you were here… don’t ask us for ****! That’s our money! Be gone now lol

You’re not really giving me any kind of explanation on why players shouldn’t get a cut of the TV money. No disrespect, a lot of y’all are sounding like true haters.
College athletes suffering serious injury should have some type of lifetime health benefits, at least related to those injuries.

Title IX makes this tricky but I believe it can be done for women’s revenue sports like softball and Basketball. Non-revenue generating sports shouldn’t be in this convo IMO. People need to start being forward thinking with this stuff. It’s coming and nothing that antiquated thinking is going stop.
Title IX is antiquated but it’s still the law of the land. It will never allow a revenue sharing model because that isn’t equal and in itself violates the equality title IX is there to enforce

Advertisement
College athletes suffering serious injury should have some type of lifetime health benefits, at least related to those injuries.
There’s no union so it’s not possible. At minimum, if they’re aren’t going to pay these guys a cut, they should be forced to put a percentage of the TV revenue aside for health benefits related to injuries.

Bingo! If the NFL started up a minor league tomorrow, I'd still be watching college football, even with the reduced level of talent.
Bingo X2. All these players can leave over this and the first Saturday of September I’ll be watching the Canes. No matter who’s out there. **** I watched Kirby freaking Freeman play qb for Christ’s sake.

There’s a reason we quit paying attention to a player when he transfers, we’re UM fans. That’s just facts of the matter.

Last edited:
I'm not an attorney in real life, but I'll freely give legal advice here on CIS. My take, the players won't win this legal battle.
I see this from another angle. The precedent has already been set. The current leagues, although professional, have long ago established TV Revenue Sharing. Since the players are in fact the performers and the B10, in a sense is negotiating a contract that includes them as a Primary Part to complete the contract. It could be argued that the TV Companies are making a deal to broadcast the images of the players, NIL and they therefore should be compensated.

Not an attorney or have the slightest idea the legal outcome. I like supporting the common man (middle class) because we been getting out azzes kicked forever.

Advertisement
So maybe my view is getting lost in translation so I’m going to try and make clear what I’m meaning to say.

I have no argument that CFB will always be loved and enthusiastically attended even with 2nd/3rd rate talent. It’s a given. It’s about school pride yadda yadda yadda.

I’m speaking strictly from the TV money standpoint. If the best football players say F colleges and NCAA we want to play for an NFL “G” League I believe the bulk TV money would go to that league especially with the NFL backing. CFB would still get money but a much smaller slice. I don’t believe colleges would like that due to that same exorbitant TV money supporting their athletic programs. I’m coming at it strictly from a Tv money perspective.

CFB fandom will never change. It will always be there regardless of player quality. Totally agree.
And what people are saying to you is that you are wrong about what people will watch on TV. I don't give a **** what the minor league team for any sport does. I care about this U, just like there are millions of people across the country that care about their school's teams. I will watch any level of athlete trotted out in the orange and green before I watch the minor league teams of two nfl squads.

The question would be who do these elite kids belong to? NFL? New England Patriots?

I don’t even watch pre season.
This would be the WNBA. A failed attempt.
I’ve always said. Let the NFL take 5 kids a year. Groom them. Takes the big money earners off the table. Top 150 players. Problem is when most of them fail, the are SOL.
The rest are way more even in talent and not deserving of big pay days.

There’s no union so it’s not possible. At minimum, if they’re aren’t going to pay these guys a cut, they should be forced to put a percentage of the TV revenue aside for health benefits related to injuries.

I’m perplexed by ur childish middle finger to my post.

These kids want revenue + free education. They r getting NIL $ now, some r making more than professional athletes, & they r getting free room & board. This TV revenue helps sustain ALL college sports. The pandemic exposed what happens to athletic depts when they don’t have football revenue.

Football is a dangerous sport, absolutely; it’s also why I’ve been a proponent of if a kid who’s in a draft position gets injured, there should be some insurance benefits set up for them, just in case. But imma be honest w/ u; the moment I started earning an income while living at home rent free, I couldn’t have it both ways. My parents was like, ummm, son…u making all this $$ & not kicking in. Where they do that at.

So cool, if we’re going to start treating student athletes like professional athletes, then they need to be treated as such, including a Union.

Advertisement
Back