BIG 10 Players Group Demand Revenue Share

I'm not an attorney in real life, but I'll freely give legal advice here on CIS. My take, the players won't win this legal battle.
I agree. For me, I see it as if they are asking for a % of the TV deal, to me, that automatically is tied into their NIL deal. So they wouldn't get that money but whoever hold their NIL would. That being said a player would have to not sign an NIL deal in order to get that money. This can work in the SEC's favor because of the BigTen says no and the SEC yes, it would allow them to say, see being in this conference allows you an NIL AND a % just for playing in the conference. The BigTen should think long and hard before they automatically say no.

Advertisement
This is another reason why we need to GTHO of the ACC. If the B1G and SEC go down this road, we won’t be able to compete.

Title IX is about equal opportunity, not equal revenue.

Women don’t need to make as much as men if their viewership isn’t level, and vice versa. You don’t just give someone money because they demand it; it’s all ratings and earnings based.
Kind of make a good point

This is great! I love it!

It will probably never happen but just the idea will throw a wrench into these big TV contracts. I am all for the chaos even if all it does make ESPN sweat a little.

Paid for by the college maybe. But that’s what a degree is for.
Most degrees aren’t worth millions of dollars a year playing professional sports. So a catastrophic injury to a top prospect unless he has an insurance policy he ****ed. To me health benefits and insurance premiums should definitely be covered by the school at the very least if you aren’t trying to give them a piece of the pie.

Advertisement
Usually the party with the better attorney and ability to spend more on attorneys have a serious advantage. I’m guessing that goes to the NCAA and universities. TIFWIW Just thinking the scales of justice aren’t always balanced and fair

Will the Big want to take the Risk of going to Court?
Lots of Bizzaro Rulings these days..
Yes.

With the huge amount of money on the line, the conferences will spend whatever it takes to protect their share of the pie.

Advertisement
what about the regular students on full ride making thousands of dollars off of Youtube/IG/TikTok should they pay for their books and everything too?
Is the school benefiting financially from their YouTube/IG/tiktokchannels? I am guessing the school doesn't have a mil per year media rights? Does participation in YT/IG etc have any bearing on their acceptance into the school or scholarship offer?

I see where you are going with this I think, and I would be curious 1) how common that scenario actually is, and 2) how the money would compare.

Last edited:
The colleges have their "brands" going for them of course, but I'm kind of surprised all these networks and businessmen are investing in restarting the XFL and USFL without really thinking of starting a true minor league. Why not have a league of future NFL stars instead of the castoffs who couldn't make it in the league?

Partner with as many athletic or youth related sponsors as possible to help finance the league and its players. Red Bull, Gatorade, etc. Most of these leagues already have coaches with NFL or major college experience. Go out and sign all the 4 and 5 star athletes you can, develop them with these professional quality staffs, and play in areas that the NFL does not already have teams - basically where most of these leagues teams are already located in Birmingham, AL, Orlando, etc.

Even try and get some NFL sponsorship to make it even more legit. You can advertise it to the players as a place to make money, get professional development, and fully focus on their careers without the distraction of forced education that you are not even interested in in the first place.

I see this from another angle. The precedent has already been set. The current leagues, although professional, have long ago established TV Revenue Sharing. Since the players are in fact the performers and the B10, in a sense is negotiating a contract that includes them as a Primary Part to complete the contract. It could be argued that the TV Companies are making a deal to broadcast the images of the players, NIL and they therefore should be compensated.

Not an attorney or have the slightest idea the legal outcome. I like supporting the common man (middle class) because we been getting out azzes kicked forever.
The system is what it is.

The schools/conferences do the negotiations and then handle the money. They are set up to do exactly this.

The players could never negotiate a deal with the networks directly, even IF they could form some sort of union/collective.

Any attempts by the players to force a payment sharing arrangement would be crushed by the schools, those players would be let go and other less demanding players brought in.

The courts would not support the players getting paid in this fashion because there is no way this could be administered and implemented.

None of this is NIL related. Schools could put out generic pics of players in the schools uniforms and the average fan won't know the difference.

The collective is bigger than the individual and the overlords always get paid.

Advertisement
what about the regular students on full ride making thousands of dollars off of Youtube/IG/TikTok should they pay for their books and everything too?
A scholarship's a scholarship. If you deserve it for the grades you've received or your athletic prowess, you should reap the benefits.

I will say it would be nice if the NCAA (or the future ruling body for athletics as it appears the NCAA is on its way out) would mandate that all NIL deals provide a dollar for dollar sharing with the school's general scholarship fund. At least give some semblance of showing education has a piece of the pie and not just individual players are reaping the rewards.

Take MLB as a league. They make about 2 Billion a year total. They pay minor league players 5k to 15k per year. This drumbeat of the poor players need to be like minor league baseball is a bit much. The scholarships and NIL are far better as is.

Take MLB as a league. They make about 2 Billion a year total. They pay minor league players 5k to 15k per year. This drumbeat of the poor players need to be like minor league baseball is a bit much. The scholarships and NIL are far better as is.
Of course you also have 3 levels of minor league teams for each major league club.

Advertisement
Never going to happen. Schools cant do it. They would have to pay every single athlete which they cant(afford) do. But go ahead and shoot your shot.

Bingo X2. All these players can leave over this and the first Saturday of September I’ll be watching the Canes. No matter who’s out there. **** I watched Kirby freaking Freeman play qb for Christ’s sake.

There’s a reason we quit paying attention to a player when he transfers, we’re UM fans. That’s just facts of the matter.
Even if the game was watered down with jags? I like to watch the highest level of comp no matter the sport. If they made an NFL minor league it would kill it for me.

Advertisement
Back