BIG 10 Players Group Demand Revenue Share

Attachments

• 20220725_180035.jpg
    20220725_180035.jpg
    894.4 KB · Views: 5
Advertisement
make players pay school, room and board, food, strength coach, field maintenance, stadium maintenance, weight room etc

It has to be, & w/ that, will come a different between athlete & student athlete.
It could get ugly. If the players don’t get this done before the conferences sign their new deals, idk how they get any of that cash. They’ll have to be holdouts, strikes, and whatever else they can come up with.

Title IX? Dude. If things keep going the way it has been, there won’t be a Title IX for long.

A scholarship's a scholarship. If you deserve it for the grades you've received or your athletic prowess, you should reap the benefits.

I will say it would be nice if the NCAA (or the future ruling body for athletics as it appears the NCAA is on its way out) would mandate that all NIL deals provide a dollar for dollar sharing with the school's general scholarship fund. At least give some semblance of showing education has a piece of the pie and not just individual players are reaping the rewards.
Some semblances to education? That would be disingenuous

Advertisement
I agree. For me, I see it as if they are asking for a % of the TV deal, to me, that automatically is tied into their NIL deal. So they wouldn't get that money but whoever hold their NIL would. That being said a player would have to not sign an NIL deal in order to get that money. This can work in the SEC's favor because of the BigTen says no and the SEC yes, it would allow them to say, see being in this conference allows you an NIL AND a % just for playing in the conference. The BigTen should think long and hard before they automatically say no.
Yes. It's one thing to allow the NIL deals to happen, but to allow the players a cut of the TV deal is giving up money AND control. Not happening.

Title IX? Dude. If things keep going the way it has been, there won’t be a Title IX for long.

LOL, why do y'all only bring up Title IX when it comes to discussions about paying players that generate a profit? If people REALLY cared about Title IX, then sports that don't generate a profit, would generate a profit.

The ACC could jump back into relevance by promising rev share and making it meaningful. Honestly they should have done it a year ago and let the portal pop. Duke could have had half of the secs starters LOL.

LOL, why do y'all only bring up Title IX when it comes to discussions about paying players that generate a profit? If people REALLY cared about Title IX, then sports that don't generate a profit, would generate a profit.
LOL, as if that’s the only reason Title IX has been brought up in the last year!

Advertisement
Saw some former players chime in on this on several platforms, & a lot r not happy about this. They were happy for NIL, but there seems to be a consensus of the air of entitlement, & lack of appreciation for a free education + a world of opportunities afforded to them that others don’t have.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Saw some former players chime in on this on several platforms, & a lot r not happy about this. They were happy for NIL, but there seems to be a consensus of the air of entitlement, & lack of appreciation for a free education + a world opportunities afforded to them that others don’t have.
This ^

I‘m all for NIL. I’m all for increasing scholarship benefits within reason. But no, these players aren’t professionals, yet, and most never will be. And the ones who will have post-college opportunities will and in many cases do make a considerable amount of money from NIL.

Be grateful for the opportunities being afforded you.

This is why I’ve grown tired of recruiting. Juniors in high school posting social media countdowns to announce the date of a press conference where they will announce a non-binding verbal commitment to a college they‘ll attend in a year.

Last edited:
But no, these players aren’t professionals, yet, and most never will be.

A player that has been competing in his/her respective sport since they could walk IS a professional. And the vast majority of College athletes don't get NIL, revenue sharing levels the playing field. As it stands now, the financial structure of College sports is nothing but a glorified Ponzi scheme.

A player that has been competing in his/her respective sport since they could walk IS a professional. And the vast majority of College athletes don't get NIL, revenue sharing levels the playing field. As it stands now, the financial structure of College sports is nothing but a glorified Ponzi scheme.

I’m sorry, but this logic is totally off.

U said a player that has been competing in his/her sport since they could walk “IS” a professional. By what definition? What about the player who just started playing sports in 10th grade? Is that a professional? So at what point is a student considered a professional? Is it at the High School level, where money is being raised through big time brand endorsement, private boosters (private schools ) or state funding?

Again, if these students want to be treated as professionals, if u fans want them to be treated as professionals, then cut away the benefits of a scholarship. U think that’s unfair? Well, I can tell u when guys skip college & go to the g-league or overseas, they find the harsh reality of being an adult. The only thing that’s free is the facilities they practice in.

So again, if kids want a part of TV Revenue as if they are employees, let them scholarships go & be responsible for ur own education.

Advertisement
I've been spamming the board for months now with the same thing. This ends in unionization. It's inevitable.
It’s not inevitable. Never say never, but it couldn’t be a team or conferences. The most likely path would be all of division one or the entirety of college athletics. States rights are a real thing in this constructional republic called the United States of America.

By statute the Board does not have jurisdiction over state-run colleges and universities, which constitute 108 of the roughly 125 FBS teams. In addition, every school in the Big Ten, except Northwestern, is a state-run institution. As the NCAA and conference maintain substantial control over individual teams, the Board held that asserting jurisdiction over a single team would not promote stability in labor relations across the league.”

Last edited:
I’m sorry, but this logic is totally off.

U said a player that has been competing in his/her sport since they could walk “IS” a professional. By what definition? What about the player who just started playing sports in 10th grade? Is that a professional? So at what point is a student considered a professional? Is it at the High School level, where money is being raised through big time brand endorsement, private boosters (private schools ) or state funding?

Again, if these students want to be treated as professionals, if u fans want them to be treated as professionals, then cut away the benefits of a scholarship. U think that’s unfair? Well, I can tell u when guys skip college & go to the g-league or overseas, they find the harsh reality of being an adult. The only thing that’s free is the facilities they practice in.

So again, if kids want a part of TV Revenue as if they are employees, let them scholarships go & be responsible for ur own education.

I thought you said the scholarships were "free"? So somehow they're not "free" anymore because B1G players are demanding a cut of the TV revenue? Look Bro, it's not binary, the fact that these players can get paid for endorsements (NIL) now proves that. And ain't **** the NCAA can about it unless there's a CBA in place, the SCOTUS said so.

I've been spamming the board for months now with the same thing. This ends in unionization. It's inevitable.
Which will ruin college football as we know it. Union reps and lawyers will walk off with all the money so be careful what you wish for.

I thought you said the scholarships were "free"? So somehow they're not "free" anymore because B1G players are demanding a cut of the TV revenue? Look Bro, it's not binary, the fact that these players can get paid for endorsements (NIL) now proves that. And ain't **** the NCAA can about it unless there's a CBA in place, the SCOTUS said so.

What??

Advertisement
Back