BIG 10 Players Group Demand Revenue Share

I would push back and say the product is worth the value because of the brand. Nebraska is Nebraska because of its history not because of its current roster. The value is in the recognition.
Nebraska’s brand isn’t the same now that they suck. I agree that logos matter but if the quality of players diminishes so will the sport. Get rid of the legends that played at Miami and what are we?

Advertisement
Bingo! If the NFL started up a minor league tomorrow, I'd still be watching college football, even with the reduced level of talent.
Right on! Personally, I would welcome it. College football has become more and more beholden to the almighty dollar. It is taking away from what made the sport so special. Tradition, rivalries, and conferences over a 100 years old are being torn down because of it.

With NIL and the transfer portal, we are at the point where college football is minor league ball. No more school loyalty, everyone's a free agent. All they need to do is start trading players between teams and make it official. lol And of course the schools leaving for bigger paydays in other conferences.

Why would Title IX be an issue? Can't you have it be formula based and tied to revenue generated from said sport?

I don't think sports should be dismantled if they don't earn revenue but players on those sports don't deserve ANY payment unless they're actually making money for the school.

C’mon now. This won’t be every conference. The Big 10 is set to make over $100M per school per year. You don’t think the players who make the deal possible are entitled to any of that money?

Pate said 3-4% clip towards the players would pay them 40k a year. That isn’t an unreasonable ask and I think they deserve more. If the conference response is what you’re saying, players should agree and push for 40%-50% of the revenue. Conference would still increase its current revenue by about 30%. Each football player Bank rolls 400k-500k per year and pays their own tuition and expenses. Deal lol The product is worth $100M because of the quality of the players. You lose that this is a completely different conversation.

At a certain point, What are these schools going to do with an additional $50-70M a year? Seriously, after two years making $100m’s facilities for all sports will be outrageous. Most of them in the big 10 are already ridiculous. Schools will be frivolously spending money on things they don’t need just because. Think about how much money these schools will be bringing in. TV revenue, Donor Contributions, Stadium revenue. They aren’t hurting for anything.

Players make these schools hundreds of millions of dollars literally risking their life for $50k a year with no retirement plan. The day the big 10/SEC signs this deal is that CFB changes forever. College scholarships only are thrown out the window. For better or worse. NFL minor league has been set up, now it’s just fully funded by Fox and Disney.
Problem is if you make them pay their own tuition, you are straight up putting all private schools at a huge disadvantage, just like it has been done in baseball. Kids would say, "I could pay $50k to go to a private school, $25kto go to an out of state school, or $10-15k to go to an in-state school." It would be a major advantage for UF, FSU, UCF in Florida. Coaches and ADs would push back because they want to go after out of state talent and not have a disadvantage.

You either keep covering scholarships or you subtract all scholarships of all the conference schools from the media deal (like any business would deduct a legit business expense) and then divide the net.

Last edited:
Bingo! If the NFL started up a minor league tomorrow, I'd still be watching college football, even with the reduced level of talent.
don't think they'll start a minor league system. the brands are too valuable. In football you have to account for the physical maturation of the athlete. If you're evaluating them in a minor league system that means they could be released before ever fulfilling their full potential.

Advertisement
Why would Title IX be an issue? Can't you have it be formula based and tied to revenue generated from said sport?

I don't think sports should be dismantled if they don't earn revenue but players on those sports don't deserve ANY payment unless they're actually making money for the school.
You're thinking like a businessman, but that's not how Title IX works. It says you have to have proportionate opportunities and benefits (scholarships, facilities, tutoring, athletic training, etc) for both men and women. Technically, if your school is 60% female, 60% of your scholarships should be for female students, but as long as you are close they allow it, so most are 50/50. Also, facilities are already heavily weighted toward football and basketball, so if you start paying them as well, but don't pay the women, it would absolutely go to court. Now the whole revenue generating aspect could absolutely be argued, but I'm not sure it would win.

don't think they'll start a minor league system. the brands are too valuable. In football you have to account for the physical maturation of the athlete. If you're evaluating them in a minor league system that means they could be released before ever fulfilling their full potential.
I agree, but every time paying players comes up, "fans" ask why they have to suffer through college when they just want to go to the NFL. That's when the minor league discussion comes in. People tend to forget the whole college part of it because most will never even see an NFL practice squad.

NFL already has a minor league. It's called college football. Kids get top coaching, nutrition, and physical maturation without the NFL paying a dime.

I agree, but every time paying players comes up, "fans" ask why they have to suffer through college when they just want to go to the NFL. That's when the minor league discussion comes in. People tend to forget the whole college part of it because most will never even see an NFL practice squad.
Record number of division one college players drafted this year in baseball that's not a coincidence. Baseball was built with a minor league system so it's a little bit different but college baseball is coming up as a revenue sport. They also broke viewership records for the College World Series

Advertisement
So would everyone else. They just want to be on the pay the players side cause the big bad schools are raking in money.

The money train will soon run out though. Younger generations don't care about sports like those born 30 years ago and beyond. It'll still be something people do come GameDay, but revenues are going to fall off a cliff.
Where are you getting these narratives? LOL. Sports has never been bigger business. I don't know your personal life but in mine I know tons of families spending hundreds to thousands of dollars a month to get their kids personal training in the sport of their choice. The money will never run out it is only going to get greater.

Will they though? CFL and small leagues have better talent than high school kids. If they are lumped with NFL then they will be way less talent.
Can you come again with this? Not trying to be an *******. Trying to understand what you are saying so I can form a response. Thanks.

And this is why you really gotta pick your battles, and the things you choose to say NO too.

All this could have been solved by paying players, and letting them make money off themselves, and from EA sports.. but now they created a monster, and have basically loss all power and control over these players..

And all I gotta say is:

Advertisement
Where are you getting these narratives? LOL. Sports has never been bigger business. I don't know your personal life but in mine I know tons of families spending hundreds to thousands of dollars a month to get their kids personal training in the sport of their choice. The money will never run out it is only going to get greater.

I didn't explain that very well on this front.

Kids still play sports, but they aren't sitting in front of a television watching it. They don't care one bit about watching the sports they play or don't play.

Television revenue is what drives things. We're starting to see a bubble and guess what, it's going to pop as the older generations start dying off. People care less and less about trading their ticket stubs in for television at home and as inflation hits harder and harder, those ticket prices become less inviting.

Nebraska’s brand isn’t the same now that they suck. I agree that logos matter but if the quality of players diminishes so will the sport. Get rid of the legends that played at Miami and what are we?

It might not be as strong as they're used to be, but they still have a rabid fan base. They're supporting bad teams with reckless abandon.

Get rid of our legends? We have other legends, those that came here and everyone talks about.

Advertisement
Title IX is about equal opportunity, not equal revenue.

Women don’t need to make as much as men if their viewership isn’t level, and vice versa. You don’t just give someone money because they demand it; it’s all ratings and earnings based.

I didn't explain that very well on this front.

Kids still play sports, but they aren't sitting in front of a television watching it. They don't care one bit about watching the sports they play or don't play.

Television revenue is what drives things. We're starting to see a bubble and guess what, it's going to pop as the older generations start dying off. People care less and less about trading their ticket stubs in for television at home and as inflation hits harder and harder, those ticket prices become less inviting.
Ok now I understand what you are trying to say (thanks for the clarification). I still disagree though.

Look it may just be that in different environments the kids are showing less and less interest in watching sports. In my experience I am around alot of kids who are sports crazy watching NFL, College and NBA. I'm starting to see alot more watching soccer on TV as well (Premier League, MLS, La Liga). The knowledge these kids have watching sports has upgraded as well. When you have YouTube where kids can get highlight clips of their fav players as well as coaches explaining things I just can't see a universe where the love of watching sports on TV is ever going to die. Again this may just be a function of us seeing two different things in our daily lives.

Problem is if you make them pay their own tuition, you are straight up putting all private schools at a huge disadvantage, just like it has been done in baseball. Kids would say, "I could pay $50k to go to a private school, $25kto go to an out of state school, or $10-15k to go to an in-state school." It would be a major advantage for UF, FSU, UCF in Florida. Coaches and ADs would push back because they want to go after out of state talent and not have a disadvantage.

You either keep covering scholarships or you subtract all scholarships of all the conference schools from the media deal (like any business would deduct a legit business expense) and then divide the net.
NIL opportunities could/should theoretically offset these differences.

Advertisement
Back