Big 10 Media Rights

Advertisement
If the Big 10 is completely gone from ESPN and the PAC 12 is crippled, doesn’t ESPN have motivation to protect the ACC so it doesn’t become the next Big East? More 💰💰💰
Not if the SEC and Big10 becomes the only 2 conferences worth watching on TV.

Advertisement
So much is made of the Big 10, What is the conferencereally made of?

It's Ohio State and then a drop off from there to 2nd tier group of Iowa, Michigan, and Michigan State. Michigan was an anomaly last year as well as Michigan State. Penn State had a losing conference record, so they're a tier 3 program based on last year.

The Big 10 West isn't any better than the ACC Coastal. Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Purdue all on the same level and then 3 bottom tier schools in Illinois, Nebraska, and Northwestern yet all schools capable of beating one another except Illinois. Sounds like the Coastal?

Big 10
Tier 1
Ohio State

Tier 2
Michigan, Michigan State, Iowa

Tier 3
Minnesota, Wisconsin Purdue, Penn State*

Tier 4
Maryland, Rutgers, Indiana
Illinois, Nebraska, Northwestern

The Big 10 is similar to the SEC with the exception of UGA. The Big 10 East and and the SEC West+ UGA.

If Miami would join Clemson and 2 other schools were consistently at the top of the conference, the ACC would be as strong as the Big 10 (pre USC and UCLA).

It's all about perception. 2022 is a make or break for the ACC with conference realignment looming. Miami and Pitt look to be at the top in the Coastal with Clemson and NC State in the Atlantic.

In the preseason rankings, the ACC has 5 teams in the top 20. The B1G has 4 and the SEC has 3. The SEC has 3 in the top 10 and 3 in 21-25.

With several ACC vs SEC, Big 12, and B1G games, it's imperative for the ACC to win a majority of the matchups. Winning a majority of these games would elevate the perception of the conference.

Imagine if Miami beats AtM, Pitt beats Tennessee, and FSU beats LSU (Yah, I know we want them to lose). That would create a lot of momentum for the conference. Despite everyone relishing in FSU losing (including me), it's better for Miami's resume if we beat down a decent FSU team rather than a poor one.

SEC Matchups
Miami vs AtM
Pitt vs Tennessee
FSU vs LSU
Wake vs Vandy
Clemson vs S Carolina
GT vs UGA
GT vs Ole Miss
Louisville vs Kentucky

B1G Matchups
Duke vs Northwestern
UVA vs Illinois
BC vs Rutgers
Syracuse vs Purdue

Big 12 Matchups
Pitt vs WVA
NC State vs Texas Tech
Duke vs Kansas
You’re not wrong, but NONE of it matters if we’re making $70m less per season than Rutgers. ACC could finish with four top 10 teams and ESPN is laughing to the bank because they get quality product for little money. ACCN will cripple the conference. Such a moronic deal to sign.

If we join the Big 10 then what happens to the “non prime time” games for that week? Is it region based? With ESPN they have like 10 different networks to play games that aren’t in the prime time slots. Does that mean we won’t be able to watch every Canes game if they aren’t the prime time game that week?

I love being able to watch every Miami game every week. I remember when that wasn’t the case like 29 years ago. I had to pay for the college football package to be able to watch every Miami game. If that was an option I would gladly do it again. I can’t go back to not being able to watch every game. I live in Colorado Springs now so I wouldn’t get the benefit of the regional showings.

Advertisement
In this new era of college sports, why isn't their an NIL addendum to the TV contract? There should be a scaled calculation on the amount distributed to All players participating in televised games for all sports. Just posing a question. FMI, are the "people" negotiating the BIG 10 TV contract?

It is interesting the Big 10 isn’t negotiating with ESPN. I wonder if there is resentment with ESPN for pushing SEC so heavily for so many years.

Advertisement
It is interesting the Big 10 isn’t negotiating with ESPN. I wonder if there is resentment with ESPN for pushing SEC so heavily for so many years.

Possible. ESPN could be all in for SEC. Now they have to decide on PAC-12 and Big 12.

This confirms how I believe realignment will continue to unfold.

Sankey and the SEC are waiting to see how the new B1G media rights deal shakes out, and whether or not Notre Dame will be included.

If Notre Dame joins the B1G, I anticipate a leak from the SEC side within a week that UM, Clemson, FSU, and UNC are in talks to leave the ACC and join the SEC. After that, things will move quickly.

Kevin Warren believes he’s one step ahead of Sankey, but he couldn’t be more wrong. Based on what the insiders on our board have been saying, it’s not a matter of IF we go to the SEC; instead, it’s the timing of such an announcement. I think it’s already all wrapped up, but Sankey is waiting to upstage Warren if Notre Dame does in fact join the B1G.

Advertisement
29 million per game? How the **** can that be profitable?
It's apples to oranges but I remember seeing that just the postseason games were bringing in around $400 million per year in advertising for ESPN.

I question these astronomical tv contracts too but they must be worth it as all we ever hear is that live broadcast rights to sports are the most valuable commodity to networks in an ever increasingly streaming based world.

Sankey and the SEC are waiting to see how the new B1G media rights deal shakes out, and whether or not Notre Dame will be included.

If Notre Dame joins the B1G, I anticipate a leak from the SEC side within a week that UM, Clemson, FSU, and UNC are in talks to leave the ACC and join the SEC. After that, things will move quickly.

🙏 🙏 🙏

Joining the SEC would be the greatest day in Canes history since we won No. 5 in 2001

Advertisement
Back