Big 10 Media Rights

This is why it’s so important for these conferences to get the brands that get the most eyeballs on tv/streaming services. That allows them to have multiple **** matchups every week that they can sell individually.

The B1G probably has 7-8 schools that bring those big eyeball numbers. Sec probably has around 8-9 as well. It looks like ND will be forced into a conference with this deal. Then we’ll see how the acc schools find a way out of the gor.

Advertisement
Math seems off. Notre Dame expecting around $12m per game and CBS is paying $25M+ for the 3:30 game. What am I missing here?

Math seems off. Notre Dame expecting around $12 I’m per game and CBS is paying $25M+ for the 3:30 game. What am I missing here?

ESPN is going to throw a bag & 1/2 at the SEC; The B1G strategically partnered w/ several networks, including the home of ND to make it palatable for these networks to share in revenue distribution. In essence, this puts ND in a very precarious situation. This kinds of backs them in a corner.
One scenario that was put out there by Dan Patrick was Fox group doing a media deal for the Big Ten AND ND ( as an independent but playing some Big games) - THEN the SEC (ESPN) responding by grabbing Clemson, Miami and FSU.

This is why it’s so important for these conferences to get the brands that get the most eyeballs on tv/streaming services. That allows them to have multiple **** matchups every week that they can sell individually.

The B1G probably has 7-8 schools that bring those big eyeball numbers. Sec probably has around 8-9 as well. It looks like ND will be forced into a conference with this deal. Then we’ll see how the acc schools find a way out of the gor.
If ESPN wants UM, Clemson and FSU in the SEC they will make it happen.

Advertisement
I thought I read a few years ago that the networks were drowning in debt because of their deals to show live sports. Didn’t espn have to fire half their on air people because they were so broke?

Guess I hallucinated all that.

So much is made of the Big 10, What is the conferencereally made of?

It's Ohio State and then a drop off from there to 2nd tier group of Iowa, Michigan, and Michigan State. Michigan was an anomaly last year as well as Michigan State. Penn State had a losing conference record, so they're a tier 3 program based on last year.

The Big 10 West isn't any better than the ACC Coastal. Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Purdue all on the same level and then 3 bottom tier schools in Illinois, Nebraska, and Northwestern yet all schools capable of beating one another except Illinois. Sounds like the Coastal?

Big 10
Tier 1
Ohio State

Tier 2
Michigan, Michigan State, Iowa

Tier 3
Minnesota, Wisconsin Purdue, Penn State*

Tier 4
Maryland, Rutgers, Indiana
Illinois, Nebraska, Northwestern

The Big 10 is similar to the SEC with the exception of UGA. The Big 10 East and and the SEC West+ UGA.

If Miami would join Clemson and 2 other schools were consistently at the top of the conference, the ACC would be as strong as the Big 10 (pre USC and UCLA).

It's all about perception. 2022 is a make or break for the ACC with conference realignment looming. Miami and Pitt look to be at the top in the Coastal with Clemson and NC State in the Atlantic.

In the preseason rankings, the ACC has 5 teams in the top 20. The B1G has 4 and the SEC has 3. The SEC has 3 in the top 10 and 3 in 21-25.

With several ACC vs SEC, Big 12, and B1G games, it's imperative for the ACC to win a majority of the matchups. Winning a majority of these games would elevate the perception of the conference.

Imagine if Miami beats AtM, Pitt beats Tennessee, and FSU beats LSU (Yah, I know we want them to lose). That would create a lot of momentum for the conference. Despite everyone relishing in FSU losing (including me), it's better for Miami's resume if we beat down a decent FSU team rather than a poor one.

SEC Matchups
Miami vs AtM
Pitt vs Tennessee
FSU vs LSU
Wake vs Vandy
Clemson vs S Carolina
GT vs UGA
GT vs Ole Miss
Louisville vs Kentucky

B1G Matchups
Duke vs Northwestern
UVA vs Illinois
BC vs Rutgers
Syracuse vs Purdue

Big 12 Matchups
Pitt vs WVA
NC State vs Texas Tech
Duke vs Kansas
You are assuming we care about the ACC....most of us don't....and the ACC hasn't done us much favors either in several ways.

You are assuming we care about the ACC....most of us don't....and the ACC hasn't done us much favors either in several ways.
Either way. The conference needs to be strong to survive and/or the teams need to perform well to be attractive for landing spots elsewhere.

The conference is likely staying put for several years. Just because some schools want to leave, doesn't mean there's a place for them to go. That includes Miami and Clemson. The B1G and SEC have to want another expansion. That's going to happen sooner if multiple teams are strong. Miami, FSU and any other schools losing makes them less attractive. Miami winning the ACC and making CFP appearances makes them highly desirable.

Advertisement
You’re worried about a rivalry? Who cares. Just win football games, your conference and compete for natty’s. Rivalries won’t mean much when there are 2 super conferences.
Lol, heated rivalries are a major part of every sport, especially college... Just like they are still a thing in the NFL with "2 super conferences". Or should i just wish for the jets to not exist because i hate them as a Dolphins fan?

Is does matter and here's why.

Post in thread 'Big 10 Media Rights' https://www.canesinsight.com/threads/big-10-media-rights.178934/post-6017614
WE need to be attractive, not necessarily the ACC. Obviously a better conference helps, but it won't be the determining factor. Just look at 2017; even a hint of success and flash and we were the talk of the country. If/when Mario starts taking us to 10 wins consistently, we will be too attractive—particularly with our location—for networks to ignore. No one is saying Clemson will be left out amidst a down conference; same would be for us.

Advertisement
Lol, heated rivalries are a major part of every sport, especially college... Just like they are still a thing in the NFL with "2 super conferences". Or should i just wish for the jets to not exist because i hate them as a Dolphins fan?
Again, who tf cares about rivalries. Is it fun? Sure. Is it a part of sports? Sure. Just win the **** games and compete for championships.

WE need to be attractive, not necessarily the ACC. Obviously a better conference helps, but it won't be the determining factor. Just look at 2017; even a hint of success and flash and we were the talk of the country. If/when Mario starts taking us to 10 wins consistently, we will be too attractive—particularly with our location—for networks to ignore. No one is saying Clemson will be left out amidst a down conference; same would be for us.
We need multiple teams attractive because we're likely not getting out of the TV Rights deal unless the conference breaks up. There needs to be a majority vote to terminate the conference. There's a greater likelihood of that happening if several schools are desired and courted by the SEC and B1G.

We need multiple teams attractive because we're likely not getting out of the TV Rights deal unless the conference breaks up. There needs to be a majority vote to terminate the conference. There's a greater likelihood of that happening if several schools are desired and courted by the SEC and B1G.
It's a fair point, but I also think if Clemson and Miami were to bail (and possibly FSU), I think everyone else would scramble and it'd take care of itself. I know SEC has wanted to get into NC, so I could see them pushing for UNC, too, especially now that ESPN could be losing all B1G basketball. If UNC goes, that's that. I also think that ESPN holding rights to both SECN and ACCN, they could work it out if we went to SEC.

ACC's only chance for survival, IMO, would be snagging ND, making an aggressive push for another market (something in Texas?), and holding a little more leverage with ESPN as they won't want to have a dissolved ACC basketball league after losing B1G basketball. But I don't think it's going to happen.

Advertisement
It's a fair point, but I also think if Clemson and Miami were to bail (and possibly FSU), I think everyone else would scramble and it'd take care of itself. I know SEC has wanted to get into NC, so I could see them pushing for UNC, too, especially now that ESPN could be losing all B1G basketball. If UNC goes, that's that. I also think that ESPN holding rights to both SECN and ACCN, they could work it out if we went to SEC.

ACC's only chance for survival, IMO, would be snagging ND, making an aggressive push for another market (something in Texas?), and holding a little more leverage with ESPN as they won't want to have a dissolved ACC basketball league after losing B1G basketball. But I don't think it's going to happen.

There is no way in **** ND is committing to ACC without espn ripping up the current tv deal. As you stated it’s unlikely to happen

It's apples to oranges but I remember seeing that just the postseason games were bringing in around $400 million per year in advertising for ESPN.

I question these astronomical tv contracts too but they must be worth it as all we ever hear is that live broadcast rights to sports are the most valuable commodity to networks in an ever increasingly streaming based world.
Crazy numbers. 29 mil and you haven't even begun to pay what it takes to get it on the air. I'm just amazed at the amounts. I agree, somehow they're making a profit I guess.

There is no way in **** ND is committing to ACC without espn ripping up the current tv deal. As you stated it’s unlikely to happen
Agreed. It would have to be an entirely new contract for it to happen and I just don't see it.

The ONLY way I could see it happening is if ESPN wants to give a giant middle finger to NBC and B1G for taking away B1G basketball and offers a big number to ND—and the rest of the ACC—to join the ACC. Then try to poach another school, maybe even from the B1G.

In no way do I see it, nor am I suggesting it's in any way realistic, but Penn State would create a lot of fun matchups in the ACC. Them vs Miami, Pitt, ND are already some natural rivalries ready to go. Add in Clemson, FSU, and all the northeast schools, it would make some good matchups. But it won't happen unless there's an even bigger number from ESPN.

Advertisement
Back