Big 10 Media Rights

Advertisement
Advertisement
It's apples to oranges but I remember seeing that just the postseason games were bringing in around $400 million per year in advertising for ESPN.

I question these astronomical tv contracts too but they must be worth it as all we ever hear is that live broadcast rights to sports are the most valuable commodity to networks in an ever increasingly streaming based world.

That's just insane to me.

Who watches commercials anymore? I literally DVR everything so I can fast forward through those things. I also can't think of the last commercial I watched and thought to myself, I've gotta have that. I've never thought, oh....... That famous person is in this commercial, I've gotta get that. Do people really think like that? They must or why pay out that kind of money.

Same thing with animated movies. Do I care if Tom Hanks is the voice of Woody or whomever else as the voice of some animated character.

None of that stuff makes sense to me.

Again, who tf cares about rivalries. Is it fun? Sure. Is it a part of sports? Sure. Just win the **** games and compete for championships.

Rivalries is what college football is about. You take those out of college football, it's just some lame *** sport IMO. You have rivalries in your own family, friends, coworkers, etc.

Beyond that, you know who cares about rivalries? The players, but they're not as serious as fans would like to believe.

You put a game in the schedule against FSU, UF, ND, OSU, etc the record doesn't matter. Everyone is tuning in. Sure, win the game, but even if it doesn't have any other implications, it's a huge game.

A&M will be a bigger game than the FSU game this year for our teams aspirations. So will the Clemson game. We don't want to lose any of them, but if we lose to FSU it'll be a bigger deal than the other two for multiple reasons. That one would sting and not because they're likely to suck, but because of the rivalry.

The sport is literally getting destroyed with these super conferences and the schools themselves are selling out for money. Once you get rid of tradition and rivalries, the sport will be dead as that's the biggest thing for most fans as most teams never contend.

B1G might as well add some more West Coast schools for a West Pod and get late night game on one of their new TV partners

So. Add ND, and three more Pac-12 schools

Who watches commercials anymore? I literally DVR everything so I can fast forward through those things. I also can't think of the last commercial I watched and thought to myself, I've gotta have that. I've never thought, oh....... That famous person is in this commercial, I've gotta get that. Do people really think like that? They must or why pay out that kind of money.

Same thing with animated movies. Do I care if Tom Hanks is the voice of Woody or whomever else as the voice of some animated character.

I didn't even get to the part of your comment that essentially addressed it before I immeduately thought of Rooms To Go paying Jesse Palmer for some reason to be in their commercials. Those are always the ones that stand out to me. "Celebrities" that either have zero connection to a product or ones that you are 10000% not only don't use a product but would mortified if they HAD to (like Jennifer Aniston and whatever cheap moisturizer she has an endorsement deal with).

I've always had the same questions about advertising too. While I think the world is full pretty dumb and malleable individuals that are easily separated from their money, I also kind of think that the whole advertising world is probably (conveniently for them) stuck in the past on sets of assertions that essentially originated in the Mad Men era and haven't been sufficiently updated.

Advertisement
Just so y'all know what typical B1G fans think of us.

Check out this current expansion poll from the Iowa site for the Rivals.com network ...

Screen Shot 2022-08-09 at 3.26.50 PM.png

Yessir! C-A-N-E-S still No. 1 baby :roll-canes2:

Last edited:
Now let's keep it a buck here. I've seen higher credit scores in the hood than Detroits winning percentage the last 20 or so years.

Lions might straight up be the least successful franchise in the NFL, NBA or MLB over the last 50 years.

Diehard fans, tho.

If they was doing this **** in Florida, there'd be like 10,000 tops at most of their home games

Advertisement
Lions might straight up be the least successful franchise in the NFL, NBA or MLB over the last 50 years.

Diehard fans, tho.

If they was doing this **** in Florida, there'd be like 10,000 tops at most of their home games

Sacramento and ironically, the Tigers would give them a serious run for their money. Now, in sayin all this, Detroit is my 2nd team. (Was a Lions fan until my city got a team) and all I've known is hardship. Lol

Just so y'all know what the typical B1G fan think of us.

Check out this current expansion poll from the Iowa site for the Rivals.com network ...

View attachment 203393

Yessir! C-A-N-E-S still No. 1 baby :roll-canes2:
its bc were seen as a small school (we are) w no fan base (untrue) w no fans at games (slightly untrue -- well never be full every weekend no matter how good we are, most of our locals are event people not sports fans). thank god the fans dont decide who the conf wants to invite. they see the value in adding miami. they dont want to lose an entire football state to the other conferences (currently, ACC B12 SEC all have teams in the p5 in FLA). we also have built in historical rivalries w a fair share of b10 schools (RU from b east days, Wisc, Nebraska, PSU, OSU, UCLA)

Advertisement

it doesn't matter if you DVR and FFed it, your tv caught it and it played lol and therefore reached your household. also, I bet you still catch a commercial here and there. ****, I know about the random nicknacks from the ACC Network ads (some of which seem interesting lol)

B1G might as well add some more West Coast schools for a West Pod and get late night game on one of their new TV partners

So. Add ND, and three more Pac-12 schools
Oh they will. I knew once news about USC and UCLA joining they'd add more west coast teams. They're not going to leave those schools on an island. They will likely add Oregon, Stanford/Cal, Washington, and maybe the Arizona schools. ASU in the Phoenix area is like the 6th or 7th largest US city by population. They're not gonna leave that market untouched.

its bc we're seen as a small school (we are) w no fan base (untrue) w no fans at games (slightly untrue -- we'll never be full every weekend no matter how good we are, most of our locals are event people not sports fans).

That's the polite excuse and the easy way out.

The real reason most fans in the B1G or SEC wouldn't want the Canes to join is much more cultural — theirs and ours — in origin

it doesn't matter if you DVR and FFed it, your tv caught it and it played lol and therefore reached your household. also, I bet you still catch a commercial here and there. ****, I know about the random nicknacks from the ACC Network ads (some of which seem interesting lol)

That's like saying the junk mail I get reached me when it isn't even read, but in an addressed envelope while metered or with a permit imprint of standard or non-profit.

I see your point. Advertising, you used to have to sit through it. Now, you either don't have it if it's a subscription service or blast right past it. Even back then, that's when you'd got to the restroom, get a snack, or whatever.

Advertisement
Back