Big 10 Media Rights

Advertisement
Big 10 games are boring for the most part. I guess you have to live up north to appreciate their brand of football.
I agree. However, imagine Miami, a good/great Miami playing even a scrub Big 10 school on their home turf. Place would be packed and TV ratings would sure be higher than watching Indiana/Purdue.

Advertisement
It looks like NBC is not willing to give ND $75 million per year and understandably so, huge risk to take. Most likely ND to the Big 10.

Perhaps Fox or CBS could be making them an offer if NBC primetime will be Big 10 and ABC/ESPN primetime would be SEC? Or just maybe ND thumbs their nose again at the Big 10 to go ACC with a renegotiated TV deal that gets within shouting distance of the Big 10 and SEC. Nah, but always fun to speculate.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Seems like a smart move to me.

One trend I've noticed in sport through the years is that their popularity seems to diminish somewhat as things aren't available on the locals. What I mean by that is CBS, ABC, Fox, and NBC.

You want your product to be seen by anyone, rabbit ears to cable to internet. Those other providers are paying big bucks, but I think we'll see a return to the locals as people that really watch this stuff (the older generations, 40 and above) don't always have the other channels.

As inflation keeps creeping up and dollars don't carry as much weight, sacrifices will be made. It won't be the roof over their head, their power, electric, or even their cell phones. People have been cutting television costs like crazy. Those on fixed budgets are dropping cable and even internet providers like mad.

Smart move by them in the long run, even if it's the best deal on the table. It puts them in more homes across the land. It puts them in every home besides ultra rural areas.

No doubt the Big 10 is a strong conference, but this many TV networks throwing this kind of money into one league of 16 teams? It will be interesting to see how this turns out.

I still can't help but to think if there was a Power 4/5 commissioner who could negotiate a TV deal with the interested networks for all 70 teams. Obviously, it wouldn't be as high a payout as the Big 10 or SEC schools are getting for now, but I would just about guarantee the networks would make money on the deal and come back to spend more in the future like the NFL.

Hopefully the networks don't get burned by having so much invested in only 32 schools. The NFL has 32 teams as well, but there are no Vandy's, Kentucky's, Purdue's, Indiana's, etc. in the NFL.

I think B1G is going to come out on top as the overall most powerful conference, not so sure I would want to go the SEC route if we had an option for either.

Looks like they are going to be aligned with 3 of the top 4 networks. If they pulled us and some of the other top ACC schools like Carolina, then the rest of the upper PAC schools they would have every time zone and market outside of the South. They could then squeeze others by selectively blocking out of conference matchups. They would also have better basketball, secondary sports and academics. SEC would turn very regional (all be it the best region) and isolated.

Seems like a similar battle on the network side with everyone ganging up to take down ESPN.

Advertisement
Advertisement
No doubt the Big 10 is a strong conference, but this many TV networks throwing this kind of money into one league of 16 teams? It will be interesting to see how this turns out.

I still can't help but to think if there was a Power 4/5 commissioner who could negotiate a TV deal with the interested networks for all 70 teams. Obviously, it wouldn't be as high a payout as the Big 10 or SEC schools are getting for now, but I would just about guarantee the networks would make money on the deal and come back to spend more in the future like the NFL.

Hopefully the networks don't get burned by having so much invested in only 32 schools. The NFL has 32 teams as well, but there are no Vandy's, Kentucky's, Purdue's, Indiana's, etc. in the NFL.
The NFL has 32 teams as well, but there are no Vandy's, Kentucky's, Purdue's, Indiana's, etc. in the NFL.

Oh yes the heck they do...what do you call the Detroit Lions, Washington "Commanders", etc of the world

Advertisement
Back