Avantae Williams - charges dropped and dismissed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now in… avantae case is dropped and the court documents shows not guilty . He is not on the transfer portal and still enrolled at Miami.
Why did Miami jumped the gun… we should of suspended him oppose to dismissing him. I doubt he would come back to Miami but then again we seen manny Diaz give second chances to Jeff Thomas
It likely wasn’t Diaz’s decision…I’m sure the school and/or athletic department made that call to dismiss him

Advertisement
Couldn't agree more.

As much as I was excited to see Tae finally play, situations like this are the 'culture issues' Manny has been blaming our previous failures on. Unless, the kid is completely is the right, I'd help him find his next college.
Culture is everything. Agreed. But you can be a bad dude off the field and still be a good teammate. Is he a hard worker? Does he practice hard? Does he hold his teammates accountable? Normally bad guys off the field are bad guys in the locker room. But not always. I have no idea what the facts are here

I’m not a lawyer, but dismissing the case means they don’t think they have enough evidence to end up with a conviction. So I think you’re right. If the young woman would not testify and there’s no video, it’s going to be hard to get a conviction. That doesn’t say he’s guilty or not guilty it just says that the district attorney won’t prosecute.

But again I’m not a lawyer maybe someone can educate me here. Lots of people are known to be guilty but yet can’t be prosecuted. Again I’m not saying that’s what happened in this case I’m just saying that an unwillingness to prosecute doesn’t indicate lack of guilt, it just indicates lack of having a successful case.
I’m a lawyer, although I don’t do much criminal work, and I don’t know Florida law or procedure.

I posted when this happened that the lawyer in me said Tae was entitled to the presumption of innocence. I also said the state could (likely) prosecute even without the victim testimony. To me, this seems like the exact type of case they would take to trial w/o a witness (7 months pregnant?!).

Give me truth serum or put a gun to my head… I’d say he did was he is accused of, and she recanted for the reasons stated within this thread (they got back together, or she was worried about the money).

Prior, I was also driving the Tae bus, saying he was out best safety prospect since ST. I was internally conflicted and basically ****ed at myself for being “greedy” in that I wanted Tae to play for us, while still cognizant of the victim.

But it’s important to remember that team rules are different than legal conviction/innocence. While Tae may not be guilty, he very well may have violated team rules. So Manny probably made the best decision for the team. And as our coach, I support that.

Nor should they. Good Lord, we have some dumbass meatheads in our fanbase. Playing for the University of Miami is a PRIVILEGE, one that can be revoked if you do things that negatively reflect on the UNIVERSITY.
Excuse me Superfan.

I was commenting on the statement whether Manny had the stones to dismiss him so quick. It’s not like the admin hasn’t overreacted in the past (just ask el Muhammad sp).

Additionally acting like a UM scholarship is a “privilege” is primary reason that got us where we are. It’s a two way street; it an opportunity for them that carries certain responsibilities.

And I’m someone that’s trying to be non-judgemental. Save your misguided umbridge for someone else.

Last edited:
TAE is innocent... Yall are tripping..... just something for you ALL to think about.. if a pregnant woman comes and attacks her husband or boyfriend and falls and gets bruised ETC OR husband trying to restrain her and calm her down if she is attacking him, what would you expect any man to do?... and she calls the cops and if there was a witness or what ever the woman says,,, the cops are going to write up whatever..... Ya'll really dont know anything -- crazy to read some of these responses but once gain just proves ya'll really have no idea

Tae is a cane AND Manny needs to bring him back
Vince Carter Basketball GIF by NBA

Advertisement
I genuinely want to know, if you were Manny Diaz would keep him on the team if he did actually hit a pregnant woman but wasn't charged.

Some of y’all are idiots man. I do wonder if Avantae was actually hurt last year and not dealing with some personal issue with baby momma.

Guys like this **** up a culture

There's still plenty of talent on the team where you don't have to sell your soul for a 5 star. Gotta have some standards man

Let him have a second chance somewhere else

Advertisement
Some of y’all are idiots man. I do wonder if Avantae was actually hurt last year and not dealing with some personal issue with baby momma.
…..and this was the straw that broke the wagon?
🤔 interesting…..

Excuse me Superfan.

I was commenting on the statement whether Manny had the stones to dismiss him so quick. It’s not like the admin hasn’t overreacted in the past (just ask el Muhammad sp).

Additionally acting like a UM scholarship is a “privilege” is primary reason that got us where we are. It’s a two way street; it an opportunity for them that carries certain responsibilities.

And I’m someone that’s trying to be non-judgemental. Save your misguided umbridge for someone else.
The school fulfilled their responsibility, this young man put his future at risk by being a dumbass. Just because you aren't convicted, doesn't mean you didn't do something that warrants dismissal.

As an alum, I expect the University to have standards outside of "Win Games". This isn't Florida State or Baylor, where basic human decency was jettisoned just for wins.

Advertisement
Just because the charges were dropped doesn’t mean he didn’t beat up a young, pregnant woman.

Manny needs to worry about the message he’s sending about what’s acceptable behavior to the other 85 guys on this roster.
And it doesn’t mean he did either. Don’t judge if you don’t know 100%. I want a coach who stands behind me until the **** is settled, not a coach who knee jerks whenever an accusation happens.

The school fulfilled their responsibility, this young man put his future at risk by being a dumbass. Just because you aren't convicted, doesn't mean you didn't do something that warrants dismissal.

As an alum, I expect the University to have standards outside of "Win Games". This isn't Florida State or Baylor, where basic human decency was jettisoned just for wins.
No one is questioning any of that. And the responsibility I was referring to is responsibility on the player.

If Manny did his due diligence and made this decision, then end of discussion. But do things for the right reason. Not how it will make you look publicly.

Advertisement
If he wasn’t a 5 star safety and a 3 star project, no one has ever heard of, would you still feel the same? I’m just asking. Because I have mixed feelings about all this.
**** your feelings🤷 Respectfully to! I was a kitchen manager at a assisted living place, the mother of my child came over while on drugs an got aggressive with me she punched my 1 year old daughter in the face! **** ya I beat her *** (charges were dropped)! My point people can be toxic it's best to stay out of it! As far as Avatae goes he needs to be back on the team! It's suppose to be innocent until proven guilty Manny shouldn't have jumped the gun but I understand they don't want any negativity around the team.. I was joking about **** ur feelings sure I gave u enough to come at me just don't let it be because of that lol it's life ain't nobody perfect!

Would be untruthful if I didn't say this crossed my mind. Could there have been some indication of a troubled relationship that CMD or some representative of the program was aware of before the incident?
At any rate, 'reading between the lines' from board insider(s) it seems there was either an admission to involvement in some form of an altercation or a pretty clear indication that AW was at least a participant. Domestic violence is bad, with a pregnant woman...
I'm an advocate for 2nd chances and there is some indication that this kid was a 'risky take' from a background standpoint. Given that, and the "fam" mantra the team has adopted, I wouldn't be against allowing Avantae to continue his education at the University of Miami while possibly working his way toward re-instatement, perhaps for the '22-'23 season. His tweet however maintains his complete innocence so I'd guess he'll be pursuing opportunities elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back