Article about Cristobal from Duck fan

Entire roster? Come on man. Take your anti depressant and come back for some talk.
Exactly.

Between Lashlee and Manny, the average fan doesn’t realize how detrimental they are from a play calling standpoint

Recruiting aside, if this team had even above average X’s and O’s Coaches we win 9 games easy this year

Advertisement
Joe Moorehead was out vs Stanford? That explains so much.

I saw Oregon vs OSU and was very impressed with the OC. The schemes and plays were great. I said to myself, wow Mario made a great hire at OC...this is what he needed. I expected Oregon to be a playoff team after that.

Then vs Stanford the offense looked like trash. I watched the game on mute so didn't realize the OC was out.

Dam that's kind of hard to hold that loss against Mario now. Losing your OC is not a little blow to absorb.

What's your thought of a Mario as HC and Jeff Lebby as OC with Art Briles as a Offensive Analyst. Lebby has been under Offensive HC's Scott Frost (UCF) and Lane Kiffin (Ole Miss) so some people may think they are over shadowing him, were as at Miami under Mario it would be 100% Lebby's high octane offense which he learned from Art Briles. His UCF offenses put up video game numbers. UM would have to come with some serious money, Lebby is making $1.3MM at Ole Miss.

Go Canes
Huge Lebby fan.

That’s one of the reasons I like Kiffin, he learned to hire good coaches underneath him, at least on offense

Exactly.

Between Lashlee and Manny, the average fan doesn’t realize how detrimental they are from a play calling standpoint

Recruiting aside, if this team had even above average X’s and O’s Coaches we win 9 games easy this year
LBs are definitely depleted. Oline terrible, yes. Dline serviceable.

But to say that about our wrs, corners, safeties groups?

But I agree even with our roster shortcomings any competent coach would have us 4-1 right now.

Advertisement
Its because all we hear all offseason is how this guy turned a corner, or how that guy has stepped up, or that Manny is king of the offseason. Even when the news is clearly bad, so much sunshine is pumped into it that Morpheus has to ask what is real.

Agree people like to watch highlights alot and listen to what they say here but all u have to do is use your eyes. Can we play better? Yes but c'mon they aren't as talented as people are lead to believe

Last edited:
What's your thought of a Mario as HC and Jeff Lebby as OC with Art Briles as a Offensive Analyst. Lebby has been under Offensive HC's Scott Frost (UCF) and Lane Kiffin (Ole Miss) so some people may think they are over shadowing him, were as at Miami under Mario it would be 100% Lebby's high octane offense which he learned from Art Briles. His UCF offenses put up video game numbers. UM would have to come with some serious money, Lebby is making $1.3MM at Ole Miss.

Go Canes
Mario would bring in whoever he wanted, so it depends on his choice. He will hold UM AD over a barrel if there are negotiations.

Alot of the roster is basic. Who do u think is first round locked in talent beside JW and LT?
I think you are the only one making this argument against we have 1st round talent everywhere.

It seems you are erecting this straw man and then are pummeling your own creation looking for validation from others.

I am not making that case so why are you arguing against it? In fact I don't think anyone believes our roster is full of 1st round talent. They would be in need of anti-psychotics not anti- depressants.

You are saying the roster needs a TOTAL rebuild. I just highlighted the position groups we have that are solid. Never said there were potential 1st rounders in them. Maybe there are some, but not my point.

Tell me why you think other than lbs, and oline, the roster needs a TOTAL rebuild?

Advertisement
Don't know much about him.

If we are talking about down-the-line guys, Tom Herman is an interesting buy low.
What do you think about Frank Ponce? Currently at App St. But worked with Satterfield at Louisville and has a Cristobal connection.

I would think him and Mirabel would follow Mario back and they are experienced guys with local ties too.

He’s too conservative/old school. Even at FIU it was painful watching their offense even though he they had more talent than anybody in their conference. He had Herbert and their offense still looked weak
I can tell guys that havent really ever watched his teams play.

His sh*t is always some conservative offense...which is crazy because he runs the hard *** routine personality wise.
He wouldve loved Dan Enos. smh

What do you think about Frank Ponce? Currently at App St. But worked with Satterfield at Louisville and has a Cristobal connection.

I would think him and Mirabel would follow Mario back and they are experienced guys with local ties too.
I'm not too concerned with local ties for the OC. Just give me the best guy, whether that's Moorhead, Ponce or whoever.

I can tell guys that havent really ever watched his teams play.

His sh*t is always some conservative offense...which is crazy because he runs the hard *** routine personality wise.
He wouldve loved Dan Enos. smh
if mario is a great coach, he will change this philosophy (and if he listened to saban once)

i still want him. i believe he can make that change.

Advertisement
Joe Moorehead was out vs Stanford? That explains so much.

I saw Oregon vs OSU and was very impressed with the OC. The schemes and plays were great. I said to myself, wow Mario made a great hire at OC...this is what he needed. I expected Oregon to be a playoff team after that.

Then vs Stanford the offense looked like trash. I watched the game on mute so didn't realize the OC was out.

Dam that's kind of hard to hold that loss against Mario now. Losing your OC is not a little blow to absorb.
Especially when your a HC and cant take over play calling duties yourself. lol smh.

Mario reminds me of Butch in good and bad ways.

As for Oregon, I understand why they are still longing for the Chip Kelly days. That was lightning in a bottle. But the truth is Mario has greatly improved the program. Helfrich was 4-8, Willie was 7-6. Mario took them to 9-4 right away and won the conference the next two years (including one Top 5 finish and Rose Bowl win). They are #8 right now and the roster is loaded.

Agree. A lot of what he values and excels at are missing badly here. That loss to Stanford felt eerily familiar and was disappointing considering he's got a few years under his belt there.

Advertisement
It's no secret, Mario is not an Xs and Os guy. He doesn't call plays and he doesn't scheme. He needs to have really good coordinators and coaches around him. But, I think he's quite adept at hiring them going all the way back to FIU where he had Collins and Satterfield as his coordinators.

It's no secret, Mario is not an Xs and Os guy. He doesn't call plays and he doesn't scheme. He needs to have really good coordinators and coaches around him. But, I think he's quite adept at hiring them going all the way back to FIU where he had Collins and Satterfield as his coordinators.

I feel like this component for Mario gets overlooked

I'm not too concerned with local ties for the OC. Just give me the best guy, whether that's Moorhead, Ponce or whoever.
D$, one scenario that I hadnt considered but is somewhat appealing if Mario and Kiffin are off the table is bringing over the AD and Dave Arranda from Baylor. With the right OC hire I could get on board with this

I would qualify that by saying not "overpaying" for him. I think he has shown he is a much better coach than Manny and would instantly upgrade our program.

But he is still in many ways cutting his teeth on the big stage like Manny tried but with more success. Question how much would he cost us compared to others just as qualified and competent?

Why even care about the cost? I think all discussion of cost is a bargaining position smokescreen.

My issue is with discipline. I question Mario's focus on that.

For me... the coach that's going to be successful at the U is going to keep penalties to a minimum and is going get these kids to realize they don't know jack **** and rebuild them and all of their fundamentals from the ground up. You sure this up and then everything else will follow.

Any coach that comes to the U is going to have enough talent to win the coastal every single year. If the kids cant play fundamental football and shoot themselves in the foot multiple times every series then the scheme is pointless. There are no schemes that can overcome a total lack of discipline. Once we consistently win games that we out talent our opponents in, then recruiting will blow up and titles will be a reality again.

Advertisement
Back