Army All American Game Notes

[TWEET]948204240211726340[/TWEET]

This is classic Hightower and why I think he'll surprise many. Kid doesn't pop off the screen like a Pope or others, but he is deceptively (sneaky) fast. Long strider who gets in and out of his cuts well and quickly (and with his size) makes for a real tough matchup

Hightower has that high step/long stride that is incredibly deceptive and allows him to blow by guys deep. I see this kid being lethal in go routes while Pope breaks ankles underneath on intermediate routes.

Advertisement
Thought nesta struggled a bit.

Thomas is a besst

Topic I think a few recognize but no one wants to discuss... Nesta's a solid prospect but far from the world beater folks here want to act like he is. He's not going to just come in and wreck ****, I don't think. I guess he's the only DT we got though, so...

Not good enough to be an impact guy next fall. Depth guy/rotational? Sure but nothing beyond that.
wow you got all that from one small clip???? CMR should hire you as the 10th coach! You"re the one Jerry!Devry Class of 2011

You think he'll start? You think he'll get more snaps than Ford and Bethel?
Really depends on who is back. If Norton, McIntosh are back, those guys plus Willis are top 3. Expect Ford to be the next guy. Silvera and Bethel would be fighting for snaps, but they’re different types of player at different stages of their development. Without 1 of the top guys, you end up having snaps for both silvera and bethel, imo.

Thomas is a besst

Topic I think a few recognize but no one wants to discuss... Nesta's a solid prospect but far from the world beater folks here want to act like he is. He's not going to just come in and wreck ****, I don't think. I guess he's the only DT we got though, so...

I disagree strongly. Nesta is elite.

These one-on-ones are deceptive for DTs. Nobody dominated these drills like Forston. They favored his skill set.

Put Nesta in 11-on-11 and he dominates. I heard from two SEC coaches (including Alabama) that Silvera was the best DT in the country and the meanest DT they ever recruited. Kool also has him #1 in the country.

Meanest DT alabama ever coached? That souds like hyperbole.

However i agree that he has power and motor and leverage.

Don’t know about no. 1 in the country, but he’s a legit target for us, and that’s all i am focused on.

Keep the best local kids home, and we will compete for titles, or should. Fail to do so, and we won’t.

For the record, I put almost no stock in these clips. I like Nesta a lot. I think he's a great prospect who will start multiple years for us. I'm not convinced he will be an elite D1 DT though, I think he's getting a little extra hype here because of where he's from and our need at DT.. Love his motor and nastinrss. I'm not convinced he's just going to be able to aggressively bull rush everyone in college.
If we put a serious DL next to him, imo Nesta would cause havoc. He’d be a tfl guy. If you ask him to play gaps in dorito’s defense, he’d be mediocre. To me, that’s what makes him interesting. He’s got ability. Richt needs to figure out how to deploy him well.

TC as a freak against elite talent, we cannot miss on him

Last edited:

Thomas is a besst

I usually to almost always agree with my friend swagger. Here i have a somewhat different view.

Nesta is solid. He’s got impressive power and drive and is big enough. I think he can be a disruptive penetration guy. But he isn’t huge, and isn’t a gap filler, imo. He will have to be surrounded by the right guys to be most effective, and I am not sure who else we are recruiting so hard to judge. I’m not sure Nesta next to Ford is the perfect pairing, either.

If Nesta develops, the model for him imo would be Russell Maryland. And that would take real development. But size, body type, drive train, attitude, seems to be aligned. Plop Tez next to him and he can eat. If only we had another Kennedy.

Overall he seems like a good get to me, and has a long suit that can help us if we build the right line around him. But as the playoff games yesterday made clear, we are a long way off on DL. Overall. Nesta is a poece. Where are the other pieces?

Actually, what I bolded is exactly how I feel about him. I think he's a good prospect who has good potential. I've been following Miami for a long time and suffered through the last 15 years of dog**** we've put on the field as much or more than anyone who isn't personally connected with the team. One thing that happens is when we miss at certain places, folks tend to overhype the guys we do get, especially the South Florida kids. I've seen em come and go. People shouldn't get all butt hurt because I don't think Nesta is day one draft pick type of guy (not you, Ethnic... the guys who seem violently angry with me). I don't think he's got that physical upside. He's a mean, aggressive guy with good physical traits. That's good. We dearly, dearly need him.

Last edited:
Advertisement
One thing that happens is when we miss at certain places, folks tend to overhype the guys we do get, especially the South Florida kids. .

Nesta is the number one target. The misses are the guys behind him in the pecking order. I don't see how your scenario applies at all.

People are hyped about Nesta because everyone down here (including HS coaches) considers him the truth. He was state DPOY. It has nothing to do with missing on anyone else.

By the way, he apparently has multiple TFLs this morning and intercepted a pass.

Thomas is a besst

I usually to almost always agree with my friend swagger. Here i have a somewhat different view.

Nesta is solid. He’s got impressive power and drive and is big enough. I think he can be a disruptive penetration guy. But he isn’t huge, and isn’t a gap filler, imo. He will have to be surrounded by the right guys to be most effective, and I am not sure who else we are recruiting so hard to judge. I’m not sure Nesta next to Ford is the perfect pairing, either.

If Nesta develops, the model for him imo would be Russell Maryland. And that would take real development. But size, body type, drive train, attitude, seems to be aligned. Plop Tez next to him and he can eat. If only we had another Kennedy.

Overall he seems like a good get to me, and has a long suit that can help us if we build the right line around him. But as the playoff games yesterday made clear, we are a long way off on DL. Overall. Nesta is a poece. Where are the other pieces?

Actually, what I bolded is exactly how I feel about him. I think he's a good prospect who has good potential. I've been following Miami for a long time and suffered through the last 15 years of dog**** we've put on the field as much or more than anyone who isn't personally connected with the team. One thing that happens is when we miss at certain places, folks tend to overhype the guys we do get, especially the South Florida kids. I've seen em come and go. People shouldn't get all butt hurt because I don't think Nesta is day one draft pick type of guy (not you, Ethnic... the guys who seem violently angry with me). I don't think he's got that physical upside. He's a mean, aggressive guy with good physical traits. That's good. We dearly, dearly need him.
Ed Oliver isnt huge either and is the most disruptive dt in college football even in the ****** scheme he played in this year. Now im not saying nesta is ed oliver but I do see a lot of that in him

Thomas is a besst

Ed Oliver isnt huge either and is the most disruptive dt in college football even in the ****ty scheme he played in this year. Now im not saying nesta is ed oliver but I do see a lot of that in him

Aaron Donald isn’t either

Advertisement
One thing that happens is when we miss at certain places, folks tend to overhype the guys we do get, especially the South Florida kids. .

Nesta is the number one target. The misses are the guys behind him in the pecking order. I don't see how your scenario applies at all.

People are hyped about Nesta because everyone down here (including HS coaches) considers him the truth. He was state DPOY. It has nothing to do with missing on anyone else.

By the way, he apparently has multiple TFLs this morning and intercepted a pass.

Not one person on this board (unless his momma is posting anonymously) will be happier than me if he comes in and dominates. In a thread not too far in the past I called him the most important kid in the class. I just don't think he's "the number one DT in the nation" type of guy - I think folks are getting a little carried away. I know he was absolutely dominant in high school. He was plenty big enough there, going against HS OL, where his bully attitude plays up to an extreme degree. In HS big men with those attitude pop up insanely. There aren't many that do. That's the plus side. The question mark is - is he going to be able to bully folks like that at the next level?

I just don't think he's "the number one DT in the nation" type of guy - I think folks are getting a little carried away.

The quotes I posted were from SEC coaches, not overzealous fans. There is a reason Bama offered him. His production is unique and he has natural strength and explosion.

You may end up being right. DTs are impossible to predict. Nobody could've expected Forston to flop like he did. But people are excited about Nesta because of what he's done on the field. There is no artificial inflation. He's an elite prospect getting recruited by everybody.

Ed Oliver isnt huge either and is the most disruptive dt in college football even in the ****ty scheme he played in this year. Now im not saying nesta is ed oliver but I do see a lot of that in him

totally different player than what oliver and nesta look like. donald is the best dt in football but is a different type of dt than those 2 imo

I just don't think he's "the number one DT in the nation" type of guy - I think folks are getting a little carried away.

The quotes I posted were from SEC coaches, not overzealous fans. There is a reason Bama offered him. His production is unique and he has natural strength and explosion.

You may end up being right. DTs are impossible to predict. Nobody could've expected Forston to flop like he did. But people are excited about Nesta because of what he's done on the field. There is no artificial inflation. He's an elite prospect getting recruited by everybody.

He thoroughly our produces the #1 dt in the country in a landslide and isn’t close. Put performed him at the opening too

Advertisement
Hopefully Williams' competitive juicies start flowing and he bounces back today and plays up to the competition around him.

When is the game this year?
What the **** are you talking about? He ate up that secondary yesterday....

totally different player than what oliver and nesta look like. donald is the best dt in football but is a different type of dt than those 2 imo

I’m not talking about ability just stating the fact that just because you aren’t 6’3 plus as a dt doesn’t mean you can’t be good. In fact the shorter dlineman are usually harder to block because the leverage they are able to generate. Regardless Silvera has plenty of size at a legit 6’1.5 316 and he’s not sloppy at all

Hopefully Williams' competitive juicies start flowing and he bounces back today and plays up to the competition around him.

Ouch... Did he have a bad day yesterday?

No he didn’t....that was one of the dumbest posts I've read here. We were talking about him ripping them up yesterday.

Advertisement

You're joking right? Williams was on fire yesterday. Multiple observers said that an argument could be made in favor of Williams have the best day out of all the QB's

Thomas is a besst

I truly hope you don’t evaluate talent for a living

Advertisement
Back