An underlying issue

I call BS.

Who on the FSU or UF staff has any SFLA connections other than Robinson?

It isn't simply about connections, it's taking these kids and turning them into top players. For years, Florida has been at the top of the state and FSU is now in the championship game. Their coaches are respected. Their style of play reflects South Florida schools. For the last ten years we have seen Miami not get the best of its players, struggle, and be irrelevant.

Last edited:
Advertisement
So many things:

1. We've been dead at QB since Berlin's senior year. That's a long time.
2. We have a lot of JAGs. A lot. Just a look at the sideline Sat night reassured that for me, and I'm convinced that the investigation was a big part of what I was seeing. It's over now, so we've got to get the recruits.
3. We have JAGs on the staff as well. I'll go so far as to say that the entire defensive staff should go, including Barrow. On offense, I am not a big fan of Kehoe. I'm willing to see if Coley can grow into the position. He's far and away our best recruiter. Letting him go would be a huge blow to the recruiting game.
4. Miami needs to play the game with the mentors. It's crazy not to as these guys have the ears of the players they work with.

So many things:

2. We have a lot of JAGs. A lot. Just a look at the sideline Sat night reassured that for me, and I'm convinced that the investigation was a big part of what I was seeing. It's over now, so we've got to get the recruits.
3. We have JAGs on the staff as well. I'll go so far as to say that the entire defensive staff should go, including Barrow. On offense, I am not a big fan of Kehoe. I'm willing to see if Coley can grow into the position. He's far and away our best recruiter. Letting him go would be a huge blow to the recruiting game.
4. Miami needs to play the game with the mentors. It's crazy not to as these guys have the ears of the players they work with.

Great post as always. I think Barrow's only usefulness on this team is for the way he can connect with the Miami kids and he pretty much recruits his *** off. Seems like almost every recruit mentions his name and the connection he has with them.

Agreed on Coley too, this was his first year, so he deserves a pass. I also think Williams on the D side coaching deserves a pass to, but he is the only one. Jethro and Dorito need exit papers. As much as I like the lore of the O line, the talent on that line this year didn't play to the expectations. It is going to much worse with the wholes and young bucks playing next year, regardless of who the QB will be, so I am looking at a regression of experienced talent along with ****** coaching being a really bad combo for the O-line next year.

I think Al gets a pass if he makes those changes, and relinquishes his D concepts to a real D Coordinator; otherwise, pretty short less. I see this as Randy's 4th year that he made gains and then went 6-6 in the final year.

Considering the buy out options with his contract through 2020, he is at least 2 years before a buyout is feasible, worst case scenario.

pete is a college student who juggles school and college. he is not peter king of si. These kids are his peers. he is still fairly new to this. he will be fine.

Maybe the question is whether he wants to be Peter King JR., Manny Navarro Jr, a SFL jock sniffer or something entirely different and mess around with some recruiting on the side.

This Pete.

I'm not sure what you want out of this but don't become like Ferman and Co. You have had this "story" for awhile now, why out it out now? Looks like you are piling on, especially without sources. The last few weeks have not been good for you, whether all your info is true or not. You are held to a higher standard then regular posters.

BTW, I don't believe for a second that Hurlie and Barrow aren't respected in SFla.

Wasn't this the same kid who just last year, before signing day and the BTW debacle, wrote on this same site that Golden and staff were respected in the community and rebuilding the bridges that Randy had burnt? Pete and staff come off as very fair-weathered.

Advertisement
Excellent reporting, Pete.

Heard the exact same things this weekend.

Wrong or not, the current staff is facing a perception problem in the "football community" for the reasons he laid out. I'll add another: player development is a concern. Take that as you will, but it's the prevailing thought down here.

I'll go a step further in helping you guys understand: Heard this from assts. from Broward and Dade, HC's, future HC's, 7-on-7 assts. from Broward and Dade, from both Seminoles and Hurricanes heritage, and others. That's a good vein to get a pulse from.

Wrong or not, whether you agree or disagree.

So many things:

You play the game with the mentors + probation + new harsh penalty matrix + vindictive and ****ed off enforcement division watching your every move= program shutdown.

SIAP, just couldn't read all 11 pages..... I look at this and see that 1) we had people saying that Coker and his staff weren't respected and didn't know how to recruit So. Fla.. 2) Then we had Randy who we all read that coaches said that he didn't build the bridges with the So. Fla. community and he only cheery picked schools to recruit from. 3) Now we have Golden, coming off a really major s*%# storm of a bogus NCAA investigation and we have coaches saying Golden and staff are not respected by the So. Fla. coaching community.... three different coaches, two different races (not that that should make a difference, but it does for some), three different age groups, one head coach from this community who "grew up" playing in this community and was well respected by the community as a player and Asst. coach, three different styles of coaching.... and yet the So. Fla. coaching community is not happy with any of them.... Pete, no offense, but there comes a time where you say "BS" and move. All three coaches may not have been good coaches (We all have doubts about AG at this point), but who the **** do they want?

I'll tell you what they want, and it's been said..... they want a winner. And the want what we had in the 80's and 90's.... the SWAG, the "us against them" mentality (which I loved, by the way) and the fact we changed college football.... we may never see that again. But to say we are not getting elite players because SOME coaches/agents don't like us is probably true... but I don't believe it is the s*&t storm it is being made out to be. Yes, we have lost elite recriuits, but we have also landed many. And to say that's an exception and the ones we don't land aren't the exception is bogus. EVERY program misses on elite players.... granted, fewer if you are playing for a "hot" coach (Saban) or a winning school (Ala. FSU), but every school misses on talent they want.

And yes, relationships do play a huge part in recruiting.... it's what it's all about, really.... but when you have community that is turning it's back on three different head coaches, it's not the coaches

Haven't browsed through all 11 pages, but in response to Pete's post ...

I think some of that may be explained by the fact that current recruits, 17 and 18 y/o, can't recall this program being elite or dominant. Go back 5 years ... these 17 and 18 y/o kids are 12, 13 y/o ... we've been mediocre that entire time.

Only cure is winning. And "recency" is such a huge thing that if we had curb-stomped UL, there is some positive momentum, but that game and the 2-4 finish is more of "same ole, same ole" than "up and coming."

Advertisement
I wouldn't be shocked if we lose Valentine..

Sh*t he already has one foot out the door. At this point it is what it is! I'm not tripping but ****..

849.gif

The Chef does not approve this message...

Ghostface does!

Petey, stop with the sophomoric bull**** and quit being an attention *****. So, is this what you learned during your recent hiatus? Use some logic and review the facts next time before throwing out nonsense. This is also counter to what you were saying a year ago about staff's efforts in the local community.
** Program and coaches are resented and viewed as a laughingstock . . . name some names. And what is the agenda and basis for those making the claims? Randy slurpers? We didn't recruit their kids? Didn't get them a job? Backed off because we couldn't get their kids admitted (Sorry, the first priority is to run an academic institution that isn't an embarrassment)?
** Golden and staff have flaws, but no HC in Miami history - not Howard, Jimmy or Butch - has worked harder to build connections in S Fl with clinics/camps, bringing coaches into the fold, etc.
** ****, we're resented and a laughing stock - yet we're on the verge of a Top 5-10 recruiting class. Somehow that doesn't add up, Petey.

Last edited:
I need to say something, I'm fairly new to this board but ***!@#$%& that keep saying that UM will never be the same need to shut the !@#$. What Miami needs are great recruiters that are personable and have a resume. Coaches that have a track record at improving players and "coaching" them up

Until this uni starts paying these people to come here we will be mediocre.

The history of this program and it's winning ways have been to convince the elite talent to stay. Thats what Shellenberger started and the coaches in the 80's did. That's what dumbass needs to figure out and it starts with his boy. Get rid of him and convince Shalala to pay quality assistants that can recruit.

Anyway, not new to most of us

Advertisement
pete,

i get your point but we have a top 3 class right now with the chance to add more.

This will realistically end up as a top 10 class and won't finish in the top 3, but for the 3rd year in a row under Golden, Miami will lose top talents such as Cook, Lane, and Rudolph. This is not just about this class, which I think is very good, it's also about the last two classes and also looking ahead and seeing that the attitude towards the program in this community is not all bright.

Pete is too young to know that this has always been the norm. You all want AG to change the way things have ALWAYS been, and Petey teen wonder boy is leading the charge.

Advertisement
Dump the def. staff get some new hard nosed coaches in here, don't stop recruiting so fla, but expand outside the region a little to find good players who won't play bs games with the coaches. Start winning and the kids will take notice and want to be apart of it.
We need to work inroads with these mentors, but it's a big country with a lot of great players, go find them!

I think people are totally misunderstanding Pete's post.

This isnt about "relationships" with coaches and local schools. This is about UM's perception within the "hood" around SoFla, its "credibility" with the kids, their families, the optimist coaches, the assistants, basically "the buzz" that a school has in a community. While Im sure people like and respect Golden, UM doesnt have that "buzz" the way FSU does right now. IMO this really got bad after Shannon was let go and Teddy B told us to f*ck off. There seemed to be some undercurrent of resentment from that segment of the SoFla community, that while on the surface has been improved, but on the "streets", we dont have that "love" we used to from the kids and community.

The best solution for this, is to win. Quite honestly. Same thing happened in the late 90s. Despite Butch's pedigree, FSU was all the buzz. You went around Florida and up and down the East Coast, and GOOD LUCK trying to find a UM hat, or jersey. It was all FSU and UF sh8t everywhere. Half the kids in SoFla were rocking FSU gear. Then we came roaring back, and by 99/00 there was UM sh*t everywhere up and down the east coast. (Funny side story, I still remember that Kick Off Classic when we beat Ohio State, I went to the mall in Virginia 2 days later, and suddenly there were dudes walking around with BRAND SPANKING new UM jerseys all over the mall. I laughed my b@lls off and even joked with my wife what an amazing resurrection Hurricanes gear had suddenly achieved after one big victory).

Point is, if we win, the "buzz" will return. The "swagger" comes from winning. We are going to have a LOT of kids from SoFla on this team next year. That is going to help rebuild that "buzz" within the community. We had a great chance with the MNW class, but sadly much of that fell apart because of Shannon's debacle, Jacory's struggles which caused a lot of public fan dissing of him, and guys that flat out busted, or never got out of the dog house. This class can be different. Guys like Chad Thomas, Yearby, Darling, and MOST of all, Trayone Gray, have a LOT of respect among kids in the community. From what I have read, Gray has quite a following in his community and has a lot of pull and respect among kids in SoFla. That is a kid we NEED to get into school. A few more classes like this, and we will have that local "buzz" back because SO MANY of the top kids from these areas will be here. REGARDLESS of losing some guys like Cook, or Lane, we keep bringing in the Yearbys, the Grays, the Darlings, the Chad Thomas', we can hold on to Mark Walton, maybe snag a kid like Gibson, that will bring the "buzz" back.

And for those who think its a simple thing for Golden to fix, you are wrong. What Pete is really getting at, is the "unofficial crowd" in the SoFla scene, very much including the 7 on 7 coaches and people, and that is a CESSPOOL where a lot of the shady sh8t goes on, and something Golden has to tread VERY carefully with.

And for those who think its a simple thing for Golden to fix, you are wrong. What Pete is really getting at, is the "unofficial crowd" in the SoFla scene, very much including the 7 on 7 coaches and people, and that is a CESSPOOL where a lot of the shady sh8t goes on, and something Golden has to tread VERY carefully with.

We have recruited some really good players this year but if you want "everyone" *cue gif*, you gotta pay the price and these guys man the cashier! That's why guys like Gatewood & Genron catch so much ****! Do they deserve it? **** yes but they put themselves in position lot make calls.

Advertisement
Back