An underlying issue

Advertisement
Ideally the media would expose the scumbags who are using children for personal gain of sorts and this wouldn't be an issue. I think that's what would happen in any other area of the country. Unfortunately I don't have the answer for our team currently being so ****ty.

Agree. South Florida is a cesspool.

It is, and as I have said repeatedly, UM CANNOT drop the dime on this situation because it will just hurt UM more than anything. In the end, very little would come of it, other than a few interesting news stories, maybe a few kids would get slapped, most of it would end up being about guys that are long since gone from college, and the community would look to UM as being the rats who turned snitched them out. This is a big business in many of these communities, where a lot of people have their hands in the pot and the cookie jar. They dont see it as a bad or unethical thing, they see it as the due and proper. So blowing the whistle on this, would blow up in UM's face, and do little to actually fix the problem, since its not really a "legal" issue, its an NCAA issue, and really, the NCAA is fairly useless to do much about it. Without a guy like Shapiro that comes in and goes ape sh*t making accusations with some kind of axe to grind, the NCAA will find very little of substance.

So really, where we are at as a program, is basically knowing that we are in a recruiting cesspool, and we have to try to compete with one hand tied behind or backs, not ONLY because of the NCAA probation and Shapiro, but also because the local media, being made up largely of FIU, UF, and FSU type grads have absolutely NO love for UM, which has a small alumni base in South Florida, and finally, being a small private school, UM doesnt even have the financial resources to compete with the big programs even if it DID get into the slime to play these recruiting games.

Its the reality of modern college football. The game has changed since the early 80s. The money now is INSANE, and the entire system is set up to benefit the big state programs. As Ive also said 1000 times now, UM is the only private school of this size that is even competitive anymore at this level of CFB. And among ANY private schools, only USC and ND are left with UM that are even left that can run with the big state schools, and both those programs are significantly larger than UM.

Fact is, its a MIRACLE that Miami is even able to compete at this level anymore. Show me another small private University that can compete at the top levels of college football. Stanford has made a little noise lately, but that wont last. And they are bigger and have a LOT more money than UM does.

pete is a college student who juggles school and college. he is not peter king of si. These kids are his peers. he is still fairly new to this. he will be fine.

Nevertheless he has shown more intellect and more newsworthy than the supposedly professionals at the local newspaper. IMO he has a bright future, should he decide to stick to journalism.

We have about half the top players from south florida committed this year.

If we are able to do that every year that should easily be good enough to put a top 10 team on the field.

When I see the defense look this bad with chad thomas, valentine, moten, grace, jackson out there then we will know a lot more about what the problem is.

Advertisement
We have about half the top players from south florida committed this year.

If we are able to do that every year that should easily be good enough to put a top 10 team on the field.

When I see the defense look this bad with chad thomas, valentine, moten, grace, jackson out there then we will know a lot more about what the problem is.

^^^ THIS

Agreed. As much as I am totally disgusted by Donofrio and the whole defensive staff, its hard to be totally convinced on what the problem is when you see how bad the talent is on that side of the ball. Even on offense, Steven Morris is just terrible. Classic "coach killer". Kid has a great arm, but nothing between the ears. Poor leader, poor QB. And no RB depth really killed us. Not saying we would have won that game last night, but a better QB and having Duke help us really be in that game til the end IMO.

Our biggest need IMO is a proven x & o coach on both sides...staff is top heavy with recruiters without great x&o resumes...

Our DC has a philosophy that is Decent ...BUT he doesn't apply it properly with calls/blitzes/personnel
Our OC was green this year.. FIU don't count... This was his 1 st year calling plays. Needs to be able make in game adjustments better.

JC

Randy burned the bridges that al is trying to repair. how many coaches have talked positive about him and his camps? quite a few. I am getting sick of the nonsense. randy treated south florida kids like they were from boise, idaho. So he can recruit 2 stars from the west coast like asante and kelvin cain. or so he can recruit 2 stars like jimmy gaines from upstate ny. he was acting like they were hidden gems and no one wanted them prior to us finding them. also, he fired his staff every year. It wasnt al golden that chased Devonte Freeman to FSU. it wasn't al golden who abused and blamed jacory for all of south florida to see. it wasnt golden who had tommy streeter in the doghouse. lets get real here. its a young team. in the post-game conference golden said "what do you want me to go in there and bash seniors who stuck by us?" and he said as far as recruits, "we need your help." He is trying to say in a nice way, our seniors suck. plus, we have really no juniors so we are a team relying on fresh and true sophs. duke goes down he is replaced by dallas crawford, lets be real. there is no depth until 2014 arrive why do you think he wants everyone to early enroll. so he can get muscle on them and get them through spring. We have boys playing men. Denzel is the only man on our team right now. Tracy, Mccord, AQM, Kamalu, bush, etc will be much more improved next year as will grace, carter, and figs.

Solid

Our biggest need IMO is a proven x & o coach on both sides...staff is top heavy with recruiters without great x&o resumes...

Our DC has a philosophy that is Decent ...BUT he doesn't apply it properly with calls/blitzes/personnel
Our OC was green this year.. FIU don't count... This was his 1 st year calling plays. Needs to be able make in game adjustments better.

JC

Agreed. Staff is definitely lacking in a better level X and O guy. IMO this is where Golden needs to cut his boy loose and go out and spend money and get the best DC he can afford, even if its an NFL position coach. We have plenty of recruiters with Coley, Jethro, Barrow, Hurlie, we need some X and O guys to balance things out. Kehoe is another area where we can really upgrade things. He's a terrible recruiter, and not a particularly great OL coach IMO. Golden needs to upgrade this staff.

Advertisement
strong has been able to produce based on the 2011 class where he capitalized on urban leaving and shannon getting fired. they also blamed the race card telling kids randy got fired because he was black. fsu and l-ville were both really benefited from 2011. since then, the pipeline has shrunk.

Miami has to stop ****ting on locals and "cherry picking". From J. Sheard to Geno from Devonta to Treon from he's to short to play here Joyner to we want you at db only Dixon, we need to do a better job. There is a cascading effect.

Think about it. For all the recruits we are getting at BTW we have opened it into an elite FSU pipeline they cherry picked the number 1 player in Dade last year from there and this year they get the QB for the national title team.

If Cook follows Freeman to FSU . . . we have to stop stepping on our own ****sl

strong has been able to produce based on the 2011 class where he capitalized on urban leaving and shannon getting fired. they also blamed the race card telling kids randy got fired because he was black. fsu and l-ville were both really benefited from 2011. since then, the pipeline has shrunk.

Miami has to stop ****ting on locals and "cherry picking". From J. Sheard to Geno from Devonta to Treon from he's to short to play here Joyner to we want you at db only Dixon, we need to do a better job. There is a cascading effect.

Think about it. For all the recruits we are getting at BTW we have opened it into an elite FSU pipeline they cherry picked the number 1 player in Dade last year from there and this year they get the QB for the national title team.

If Cook follows Freeman to FSU . . . we have to stop stepping on our own ****sl

We are still getting our fair share of the studs in south florida....we need to start looking like an up and coming team and then maybe we will clean up in our back yard.

It's not about being better than FSU right now it's about getting to the point where we dominate the ****** ACC competition week in and week out. Once we show we can do that then we will be in a position of leverage to recruit with the big boys.

Advertisement
There are too many players in South Florida every single year for this to even matter.

Yes, constantly losing Matthew Thomas, Sony Michel, Dalvin Cook, Alex Collins, Patrick Peterson, etc every year, sucks and it is a major problem...but you just compound your problem when you also pass on Skai Moore, James Burgess, Stedman Bailey, Jayron Holsey, Sojourn Shelton, Jeff Scott, Jerron Seymour, James White, et al. At that point, it is your own **** fault.

This staff is still doing it, from Treon Harris to ****y Flowers to Sean White (South Florida produces more starting D1 QBs then any STATE in college football in 2013) to Dowels to Isaiah McKenzie to Edgar Cerenord to dozens of others. Will they all be big time CFB players? Probably not. Will most of them go on to be contributors very early elsewhere? History says yes.

Last edited:
pete is a college student who juggles school and college. he is not peter king of si. These kids are his peers. he is still fairly new to this. he will be fine.

Maybe the question is whether he wants to be Peter King JR., Manny Navarro Jr, a SFL jock sniffer or something entirely different and mess around with some recruiting on the side.

Pete doesn't know what he's getting himself into. He's going to start an arms race to the bottom, with the Gary Ferman's of the world. I mean.....even if you're 100% accurate on your information (which you very well could be) why in the world would you post something like this. ZERO good can come from this. Now if rowling up the masses is your goal.....good for you, mission accomplished.

We're already working against the hometown newpaper. Yahoo has a target on our head. ESPN talking heads hate our guts. Ferman interviews Yahoo reporter that made initial accusations. Pete gives Ice and Luke a platform to blast the program post signing day. I just can't imagine this **** happening at a big time program. Their media PROTECT their program at all costs. NOOOO not ours.......kickem' when they're down baby.

Who needs enemies when you got friends like Pete.

I don't need X coach or Y player for this discussion.

Its simple. UM has been losing for a long time, and THIS STAFF has done nothing to fix that. Whatever the hurtles or obstacles, at the end of the day, this is not a good football team.

They haven't earned respect by winning. This staff hasn't earned respect by changing the trajectory of the team.

And, most importantly in my opinion, this team plays soft. No real aggression. No passion. No swag, which we made so famous. Its been gone for quite awhile. The community sees that, and their reaction is a reflection of that. Plain and simple, whoop some *** and win a few good games and give them no choice but to respect you.

Advertisement
Miami has to stop ****ting on locals and "cherry picking". From J. Sheard to Geno from Devonta to Treon from he's to short to play here Joyner to we want you at db only Dixon, we need to do a better job. There is a cascading effect. Think about it. For all the recruits we are getting at BTW we have opened it into an elite FSU pipeline they cherry picked the number 1 player in Dade last year from there and this year they get the QB for the national title team.If Cook follows Freeman to FSU . . . we have to stop stepping on our own ****sl
What the **** did you just type?

Winning cures many ills.

You don't win big while losing elite prospects

Pete,

we lost plenty of elite prospects in the '80's, including Dade kids,and we still won. Everybody on these boards thinks they know the history of our recruiting, especially during the Johnson era. I guarantee you we lost plenty of the elite south Florida kids. What year was it we lost Paul Moore to FSU (where he did nothing), Sterling Palmer to FSU (where he was more or less average), that LB from Broward who went to PSU. That LB and Palmer were first team USA Today A-A's. That might have been the same year we got Rudy Barber, the only one of the USA Today A-A's to go to Miami. We stole him from UF.

We won plenty big without a lot of elite prospects. JJ and Butch and Company found plenty of good athletes who got better and better, worked hard and were coachable, and surpassed a lot of the elite prospects. Well, some will say, that was before the internet, and all that stuff. We just found kids who had as much potential as the marquee players. Just had to work a little harder and dig a bit deeper while casting a wider net. There were so many top kids from Dade that we couldn't even touch because of grades. Remember Cedric McKinnon, the elite safety from Gables? Learning disabled and not a kid we could touch academically. Joey Veargis, close as a LB to Marvin Jones, we wanted but couldn't touch.

There were so many...wish I could remember them all. Did we pass on Slip Watkins? He ended up at LSU. We didn't get Sedrick Irvin, but who we got at RB was better. (I can't remember now who it was.) Lamont Green? Overrated and ordinary at FSU. Even worse, was bigtime stud LB Keith something or other from somewhere on the south side, Killian or Southridge or something (I don't know the geography, haven't live there since the early '60's.) Yeah, we got some elite players, and we needed them, but we took a lot of players who were not. As an old friend used to say--a true insider in his day--Marquee players are not Miami-type players. We need the kids with athletic ability, desire, and a chip on their shoulder....and a mean work ethic.

Winning cures many ills.

Pete,

we lost plenty of elite prospects in the '80's, including Dade kids,and we still won. Everybody on these boards thinks they know the history of our recruiting, especially during the Johnson era. I guarantee you we lost plenty of the elite south Florida kids. What year was it we lost Paul Moore to FSU (where he did nothing), Sterling Palmer to FSU (where he was more or less average), that LB from Broward who went to PSU. That LB and Palmer were first team USA Today A-A's. That might have been the same year we got Rudy Barber, the only one of the USA Today A-A's to go to Miami. We stole him from UF.

We won plenty big without a lot of elite prospects. JJ and Butch and Company found plenty of good athletes who got better and better, worked hard and were coachable, and surpassed a lot of the elite prospects. Well, some will say, that was before the internet, and all that stuff. We just found kids who had as much potential as the marquee players. Just had to work a little harder and dig a bit deeper while casting a wider net. There were so many top kids from Dade that we couldn't even touch because of grades. Remember Cedric McKinnon, the elite safety from Gables? Learning disabled and not a kid we could touch academically. Joey Veargis, close as a LB to Marvin Jones, we wanted but couldn't touch.

There were so many...wish I could remember them all. Did we pass on Slip Watkins? He ended up at LSU. We didn't get Sedrick Irvin, but who we got at RB was better. (I can't remember now who it was.) Lamont Green? Overrated and ordinary at FSU. Even worse, was bigtime stud LB Keith something or other from somewhere on the south side, Killian or Southridge or something (I don't know the geography, haven't live there since the early '60's.) Yeah, we got some elite players, and we needed them, but we took a lot of players who were not. As an old friend used to say--a true insider in his day--Marquee players are not Miami-type players. We need the kids with athletic ability, desire, and a chip on their shoulder....and a mean work ethic.

Problem is coaches in recent memory haven't coach up a player much lately. Most of the talent regress, especially on the D side of the ball.

Winning cures many ills.

Pete,

Problem is coaches in recent memory haven't coach up a player much lately. Most of the talent regress, especially on the D side of the ball.

Can't disagree with you there. In my mind, the jury is still out on the coaching. I don't know what to make of what's going on with both the offense and defense. I just don't get it. I'm wondering if we could be successful with whatever scheme it is Digiornos trying to run, and we just don't have the athletes. I think one of the problems is we have rather ordinary talent in the front 7, not much speed or quickness. I don't even know if our best LB, Perryman, is a sideliine-to-sideline guy. I now watch the games on a laptop stream so it is hard for me to focus on what individual players are doing.

Advertisement
Back