An underlying issue

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
This won't be a very popular post, but I wanted to expand on a post that caneaddict made on the football board and something that has been touched upon by other posters.

For whatever reason, this program has become resented and somewhat looked at as a laughing stock by a large number of people in the Miami community. Some people have made it almost a University of Miami vs. the Miami community thing. Of course, there will always be the same portion of people that will support this program no matter what, but I'm seeing recruits, coaches, "mentors", and the like really expressing their negative feelings towards the program and I'm not just talking about the Ermon Lanes and Dalvin Cooks of the world. Think about the way that a lot of people in Miami look at the Dolphins as a "joke".

It is the current staff's job to change this image that really began near the end of the Coker era and carried through the Shannon years. For a while (and I'm not talking about the first half of this season), it looked like Golden and staff had begun to recapture the "recruiting" community, but the end of this season seems to have sparked up the negative talk once again.

This is not about other programs giving South Florida prospects benefits or anything like that, it's about this staff gaining the respect of the coaches and players down here. Coley is the most well-respected coach on this staff and that's because he has made it his mission to reach out to the "mentors", youth coaches, etc. over the years. People don't respect D'Onofrio and there is not much love for his assistants either (including Barrow, who is from down here). As much as fans hate these behind-the-scenes individuals, they hold the key to landing many of the kids down here. Why do you think Joseph Yearby switched from FSU to Miami when Coley took the job here? Because Coley has had a relationship with one of the most important people in Yearby's inner-circle, one of his coaches from optimist ball.

I don't have the answers as to how this could be fixed and this is obviously not the only thing holding this program back right now, but the fact of the matter is that it's been a decade since Miami was truly relevant on the national stage and the recruits coming up over the next few years and beyond will have never seen a good Hurricanes team. Miami will continue to lose top talents until these relationships are patched up.

Advertisement
Charlie Strong fixes all.

Pete, CornBreath tells me we are looked at as the preppy, nose up, uptight a-holes to a lot of the kids down here. True?

This is a building process hence the whole brick by brick theme. Golden never said it was gonna be a quick turn around and as long as the wins improve each year I view it as a success. If we get 10+ next year it will be an improvement. We will be in better shape Jan. 1 of 2014 then we were in Jan. 1 of 2013.

Advertisement
This is a building process hence the whole brick by brick theme. Golden never said it was gonna be a quick turn around and as long as the wins improve each year I view it as a success. If we get 10+ next year it will be an improvement. We will be in better shape Jan. 1 of 2014 then we were in Jan. 1 of 2013.

:rollcanes:

No other school has to deal with the dip**** low lifes that leech on to kids quite like Miami does. "adults" down here are pathetic

u think he fires coach d? why isnt he respected?

If he's fired, it won't come from Golden. As to the second question, not much needs to be said as to why he is not respected. Just look at the on-field product.

Advertisement

Pete, CornBreath tells me we are looked at as the preppy, nose up, uptight a-holes to a lot of the kids down here. True?

Why would Strong leave UL to come to Miami?

Because he has a clear fetish for south Florida recruiting? He'd get first crack and he'd probably love that.

We have elite kids like Thomas and Valentine, but there does seem to be a shift in the attitude towards us.

Advertisement
pete,

i get your point but we have a top 3 class right now with the chance to add more.

Advertisement

Why would Strong leave UL to come to Miami?

Seriously?

I dont have my Orange and Green glasses one so dumb it down for me bro.

No matter what happened last night it is still a much better job here IF the money was in line. Lets not be silly here

strong has been able to produce based on the 2011 class where he capitalized on urban leaving and shannon getting fired. they also blamed the race card telling kids randy got fired because he was black. fsu and l-ville were both really benefited from 2011. since then, the pipeline has shrunk.

pete,

i get your point but we have a top 3 class right now with the chance to add more.

This will realistically end up as a top 10 class and won't finish in the top 3, but for the 3rd year in a row under Golden, Miami will lose top talents such as Cook, Lane, and Rudolph. This is not just about this class, which I think is very good, it's also about the last two classes and also looking ahead and seeing that the attitude towards the program in this community is not all bright.

Advertisement
Back