Alin Edouard Miami Herald article

Advertisement
I don't really blame Alin on this. Communicating through facebook? Really. I believe the Canes no longer want him, and are trying to do it without pulling his scholly. If they really wanted him coley would be calling the kid if not visiting his school to reassure him and there wouldn't have been such a long period where there was no communication. I feel bad for the kid as seems to me the Canes had a change of heart.

You do make a valid point, HOWEVER, remember this is a different generation. Many of these kids primarily communicate THROUGH Facebook and text, etc. So its not like the old days, where if the coach didnt call you really had no communication. These coaches text and Facebook these kids as the primary means of communication. Sounds like he also called the HC and told him everything was good too.

Finally, remember, we are STILL 9 months from NLOID. The summer camps havent even taken place yet. A bit early for an OC to be slobbering and hounding a kid, unless it was a 5 star Elite 11 blue chipper you want to commit. Alin is a local project, he's got a TON of potential and athleticism, but he's not a national top 10 QB, AND he's already commited.

So while you may have a point that Coley may not particularly love him, or have had him as his first choice, I think they will honor the ship to the kid, but the fact that he's not calling him non stop is not indicative that we are trying to show him the door. BUT, we might not lose a ton of sleep if he decided that he wants to go elsewhere either.

Maybe Coley's approach is that he will take Alin, and be happy to give him a fair shot, but he's not going to be sucking this kid's d*ck for the next 9 months, not unless the kid really blows up this summer and balls out and becomes a hot commodity.

I'm not sure, but when Duke committed, did the coaches have to call him every week to let him know that he's still in good standing with them? or Did he let them spend there time trying to get other weapons like Bush, Howard, etc...If you a SOLID cane, let the coaches use there limited time to work on those recruits that are not sold on the program.

Advertisement
Couple things I don't get

At first the commitment was firm. Some kids do that. They commit and shut it down early so they can focus on the season that lies ahead.

I understand you definitely still want to hear from the coaches every now and then, but seriously how often do you want to hear from them? If I'm a coach and a player tells me he is firm I am going to spend less time on him. Do kids like Alin want to hear from the coaches every day until signing day just to prove they are interested?

Ok that was one thing, not a couple. But every year these recruiting stories get more and more bizarre. It's getting almost ridiculous to follow because these kids are going to change their minds and say **** that they don't mean more often than not.

How can people actually believe that yesterday was the first time that Edouard talked to Coley? I saw a ton of kids at the Spring game around the coaches.

Am I supposed to believe Coley ignored him like a middle school girl while Alin was there?

Come on...repeat the narrative to yourself. It is VERY tough to believe.

I don't want to sound all 5Xy, but what's happening here seems very obvious, and it's the exact opposite of what you're implying. Ragging on the kid is extremely misplaced. I could be wrong, but this seems clear to me - we like other kids better and we're having difficulty breaking up without it turning into a complete disaster because we know we botched it and we know how it will be perceived in the area. Eduoard is a great kid.... I never got into the Twitter thing before last year, but reading these kids thoughts you really get a good picture of their character. This kid is a great kid who freaking loves the U and is feeling hurt - not because of the multiple QB thing (at least not mostly) but because of how we're handling everything. That's just my perspective, and I'll repeat that I could be dead wrong. He's smart enough to see the writing on the wall but he's STILL sticking with us and sort of forcing the coaches to tell him off. He's not a jerk prima donna, he's a super fan.

Couple things I don't get

At first the commitment was firm. Some kids do that. They commit and shut it down early so they can focus on the season that lies ahead.

I understand you definitely still want to hear from the coaches every now and then, but seriously how often do you want to hear from them? If I'm a coach and a player tells me he is firm I am going to spend less time on him. Do kids like Alin want to hear from the coaches every day until signing day just to prove they are interested?

Ok that was one thing, not a couple. But every year these recruiting stories get more and more bizarre. It's getting almost ridiculous to follow because these kids are going to change their minds and say **** that they don't mean more often than not.

I think it's just about letting you know that they are still interested like a text or 2 every few days or a facebook message or even asking how school is you know just to keep the flow of a relationship it doesn't have to always be football

Cane I get your point, but I think these are truly different situations. A kid's link to a program is typically going to be the coach that recruited him and that he committed to. Not hearing from your OC for long periods of time when he's calling some other recruits every day is a clear indication of what your priority is to that coach. I don't think Alin would have said anything if Coach Coley had not called him for a week or so, but Alin makes it clear that Coach Coley was also NOT returning his calls. Had Duke called Donna Shalala would have taken his call. Different situations. This is the business side of college football where it becomes clear why everyone - kids included - have to do what's in their best interest.

I'm not sure, but when Duke committed, did the coaches have to call him every week to let him know that he's still in good standing with them? or Did he let them spend there time trying to get other weapons like Bush, Howard, etc...If you a SOLID cane, let the coaches use there limited time to work on those recruits that are not sold on the program.

Advertisement
How can people actually believe that yesterday was the first time that Edouard talked to Coley? I saw a ton of kids at the Spring game around the coaches.

Am I supposed to believe Coley ignored him like a middle school girl while Alin was there?

I don't want to sound all 5Xy, but what's happening here seems very obvious, and it's the exact opposite of what you're implying. Ragging on the kid is extremely misplaced. I could be wrong, but this seems clear to me - we like other kids better and we're having difficulty breaking up without it turning into a complete disaster because we know we botched it and we know how it will be perceived in the area. Eduoard is a great kid.... I never got into the Twitter thing before last year, but reading these kids thoughts you really get a good picture of their character. This kid is a great kid who freaking loves the U and is feeling hurt - not because of the multiple QB thing (at least not mostly) but because of how we're handling everything. That's just my perspective, and I'll repeat that I could be dead wrong. He's smart enough to see the writing on the wall but he's STILL sticking with us and sort of forcing the coaches to tell him off. He's not a jerk prima donna, he's a super fan.

Coley likes bigger QB's. It's in his history. I think if he had his way, Edouard would have a tentative offer waiting for further evaluations. Edouard is a kid I'm sure he would be recruiting, but certainly wouldn't have a bullseye around his name right now.

Cane I get your point, but I think these are truly different situations. A kid's link to a program is typically going to be the coach that recruited him and that he committed to. Not hearing from your OC for long periods of time when he's calling some other recruits every day is a clear indication of what your priority is to that coach. I don't think Alin would have said anything if Coach Coley had not called him for a week or so, but Alin makes it clear that Coach Coley was also NOT returning his calls. Had Duke called Donna Shalala would have taken his call. Different situations. This is the business side of college football where it becomes clear why everyone - kids included - have to do what's in their best interest.

No offense to the OP but I see a lot of people make references to Duke and his recruitment on this board. Duke was a once in a generation type recruit, especially in South Florida. Tough to draw comparisons to that.

No offense to the OP but I see a lot of people make references to Duke and his recruitment on this board. Duke was a once in a generation type recruit, especially in South Florida. Tough to draw comparisons to that.

Also, let's be real coming into it there was no other running back recruit that we were really after that hard. The qb situation was like every week for almost 2 months you heard about a new qb interested so there's no comparison

This kid needs to get over himself. He's a project qb and he could be forced to switch positions anywhere he goes

Advertisement
I don't really blame Alin on this. Communicating through facebook? Really. I believe the Canes no longer want him, and are trying to do it without pulling his scholly. If they really wanted him coley would be calling the kid if not visiting his school to reassure him and there wouldn't have been such a long period where there was no communication. I feel bad for the kid as seems to me the Canes had a change of heart.

IIRC, NCAA rules limit the amount of phone calls and visits a coaching staff can make. They just repealed the rule on limits to social media contact, hence why you see him contacting him this way.

Coley likes bigger QB's. It's in his history. I think if he had his way, Edouard would have a tentative offer waiting for further evaluations. Edouard is a kid I'm sure he would be recruiting, but certainly wouldn't have a bullseye around his name right now.

If alin grows two inches by NSD I wonder how Coley would feel. Still looking forward to tracking our targets football seasons.
People still grow. Until they are like 21. Look at Anthony Davis in basketball....just saying kids can grow haha.

Who's putting it in the kid's head that we'll turn him into a WR?

Does Miami have any recent history of that? Does Coley?

Wonder where that thought is coming from.

Advertisement
No offense taken, the point I was trying to make is at what point does the coach don't have to keep reassuring the recruit about his status. I know you must every so often contact the committed recruit to check on things...but with so much dead periods, limited contact and no contact etc, It would be nice if the coaches didn't have to worry about a committed local recruit who claim to be a life long fan. I would want the coach to spend those limited contacts on other recruits who are on the fence. But, I understand your point. Just a conversation post. Go Canes!

I'm sure that's coming from other programs recruiting him, i.e Louisville!

Agree and there is no way he would be getting recruited at WR over the other guys on the board.

Advertisement
Back