Alin Edouard Miami Herald article

(Luke hasnt made any comments yet but he did tweet the article out)

http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/05/14/3395713/miami-hurricanes-get-commitment.html

The future quarterback class at the University of Miami just expanded — that is, if Hialeah High’s Alin Edouard doesn’t back out of the oral pledge he made in February to play for UM, his “dream school” that he indicated is no longer a lock.

West Hills (Calif.) Chaminade High junior Brad Kaaya, a 6-4, 213-pound pro-style quarterback rated three stars by Rivals.com — the same rating given to dual-threat Edouard — committed to UM on Monday.

Kaaya completed 126 of 186 passes for 1,875 yards and 13 touchdowns this past season as a junior for 12-2 Chaminade, located just outside Los Angeles. His only two interceptions came in the state title game, a 30-28 loss to Serra Gardena. He is rated by Rivals as the nation’s 19th best pro-style quarterback prospect.

Edouard, who committed to UM in February and was offered a scholarship by former UM assistant Mario Cristobal (now at Alabama), said new UM offensive coordinator James Coley communicated with him for the first time Monday — via a private message on Facebook.

I had no previous communication with Coach Coley at all,” said Edouard, rated by Rivals as the 16th best dual-threat quarterback. “I’m guessing either they don’t really want me, or it’s just something that happened. He asked me on Facebook if I trusted him and I said, ‘Yeah, I trust you, but I don’t want to change my position [to receiver or anything else].’

“I’m 6-1 1/2 and I don’t want to take the chance of playing receiver. He was like, ‘Running routes isn’t even in the picture, so don’t even think about that.’

“But I’m still worried — not about the quarterback competition, but about them possibly changing my position. What can I say? I saw it coming, to tell you the truth. UM is not the same to me as it was before.”

Edouard completed 64 of 132 passes for 926 yards and nine touchdowns, with nine interceptions as a junior last season. He ran for 559 yards and seven touchdowns.

Edouard is good friends with former Miami Northwestern quarterback Teddy Bridgewater, who is going into his junior season at Louisville. Bridgewater was committed to UM before former coach Randy Shannon left, then shifted his allegiance to Louisville. Edouard said he has talked to at least two Louisville coaches, including head coach Charlie Strong, and is very interested in the Cardinals.

He also listed USF, Syracuse and Tennessee as options to replace UM — should he decommit.

The art of running a kid off!! Leave it up to Manny Navarro & fickle UM fans...

Just our luck, Brad Kaaya will continue to blow up, and garner more attention from teams close to home, and decide he wants to be close to mom, or the SEC. We'll run Edouard off, and we'll end up with a 2 star QB.

You guys are a piece of work. Before a guy commits - you're all over him singing praises, when he does commit- you say you want someone else, if a commit takes a visit - he's trash and should decommit, when we watch a previous commit in a bowl game - you blame the previous coach LULZ!!!

Good job guys...keep it up, you're right on schedule!!

LMAO, soooo true. A couple of days ago, I wondered to myself; "are we really slow playing a local kid.. for an OOS kid who is slow playing us... because certain OOS schools are slow playing him????". IS- THIS- REAL- LIFE?

Advertisement
Your QB is supposed to be ****y to the point of arrogant internally. IF you look at a depth chart and your initial reaction isn't "I am better than all of these guys" then you are going to have a hard time hacking it at this level. Same goes for every position, but most certainly QB. Dorsey didn't look at Kenny Kelly and get scared, he came and took his job. KEvin Olsen KNEW he would be redshirting and came anyway. THAT is the mentality you want. I like Edouard and would love him in this class but I'll be damned if I am going to take a QB that is spooked by someone else.

Kenny Kelly went into baseball bro.

All this and other situations in the recent past confirms to me is that South Florida High Schools and neighborhoods are full of a bunch of ***** made prima donna's from the coaches on down!! Unless they're stroked by this staff 24/7, they'll run to the media, who are as equally soft and never miss a chance to print anything that would portray the school in a negative light, to tell their tale of disrespect and mistreatment. It's ******* pathetic and frankly I'm over seeing it. As I am over the weak shouldered posters on this board who buy into that mentality, and that Al and staff should bow to every whim of these clowns simply because they're from S. Florida.

This isn't the 80's and 90's. Those hardened and hungry kids aren't coming from these neighborhoods anymore. They've been replaced by these entitled, whiners who believe the **** they've had their heads filled w/their entire lives, and aren't willing to put in the work or fight to make it a reality.

Your QB is supposed to be ****y to the point of arrogant internally. IF you look at a depth chart and your initial reaction isn't "I am better than all of these guys" then you are going to have a hard time hacking it at this level. Same goes for every position, but most certainly QB. Dorsey didn't look at Kenny Kelly and get scared, he came and took his job. KEvin Olsen KNEW he would be redshirting and came anyway. THAT is the mentality you want. I like Edouard and would love him in this class but I'll be damned if I am going to take a QB that is spooked by someone else.

Kenny Kelly got benched for Dorsey late in the '99 season. Then he went to baseball. Bro.

I love it, Cowboycane! A Cane who actually knows his history pre-2001. Brings joy to my heart. You dont get that very often around this board.

Anyway, No need to beat a dead horse here. Its clear what happened as many have said. He thought he would be the only QB in the class. Like Kevin Olsen. Thought if he committed early he would get the coveted one spot. He thought wrong as im sure Al didnt tell him this. Now hes running a little scared. Louisville will be telling him everything he wants to hear. Esp if Teddy Pendergrass is his best friend. I dont like that we are looking bad in the media AGAIN. BUT I dont blame this on the staff. Kid needs to know that this is big time D1 ball. You dont wanna compete? Thats right. Go to L'ville.

Advertisement

http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/05/14/3395713/miami-hurricanes-get-commitment.html

The future quarterback class at the University of Miami just expanded — that is, if Hialeah High’s Alin Edouard doesn’t back out of the oral pledge he made in February to play for UM, his “dream school” that he indicated is no longer a lock.

West Hills (Calif.) Chaminade High junior Brad Kaaya, a 6-4, 213-pound pro-style quarterback rated three stars by Rivals.com — the same rating given to dual-threat Edouard — committed to UM on Monday.

Kaaya completed 126 of 186 passes for 1,875 yards and 13 touchdowns this past season as a junior for 12-2 Chaminade, located just outside Los Angeles. His only two interceptions came in the state title game, a 30-28 loss to Serra Gardena. He is rated by Rivals as the nation’s 19th best pro-style quarterback prospect.

Edouard, who committed to UM in February and was offered a scholarship by former UM assistant Mario Cristobal (now at Alabama), said new UM offensive coordinator James Coley communicated with him for the first time Monday — via a private message on Facebook.

I had no previous communication with Coach Coley at all,” said Edouard, rated by Rivals as the 16th best dual-threat quarterback. “I’m guessing either they don’t really want me, or it’s just something that happened. He asked me on Facebook if I trusted him and I said, ‘Yeah, I trust you, but I don’t want to change my position [to receiver or anything else].’

“I’m 6-1 1/2 and I don’t want to take the chance of playing receiver. He was like, ‘Running routes isn’t even in the picture, so don’t even think about that.’

“But I’m still worried — not about the quarterback competition, but about them possibly changing my position. What can I say? I saw it coming, to tell you the truth. UM is not the same to me as it was before.”

Edouard completed 64 of 132 passes for 926 yards and nine touchdowns, with nine interceptions as a junior last season. He ran for 559 yards and seven touchdowns.

Edouard is good friends with former Miami Northwestern quarterback Teddy Bridgewater, who is going into his junior season at Louisville. Bridgewater was committed to UM before former coach Randy Shannon left, then shifted his allegiance to Louisville. Edouard said he has talked to at least two Louisville coaches, including head coach Charlie Strong, and is very interested in the Cardinals.

He also listed USF, Syracuse and Tennessee as options to replace UM — should he decommit.

Just our luck, Brad Kaaya will continue to blow up, and garner more attention from teams close to home, and decide he wants to be close to mom, or the SEC. We'll run Edouard off, and we'll end up with a 2 star QB.

You guys are a piece of work. Before a guy commits - you're all over him singing praises, when he does commit- you say you want someone else, if a commit takes a visit - he's trash and should decommit, when we watch a previous commit in a bowl game - you blame the previous coach LULZ!!!

No one is trashing Edouard. But the FACT is, the kid has been vacillating since it was clear we were taking TWO QBs. Read interview after intervew, including the one posted on here, where he says he's a "soft commit" and wants to be the ONLY QB in this class. Look, we all want a solid local kid to succeed here. But Edouard has not exactly been lighting it up so far. He's a project with great athleticism and potential, but he is NOT a polished QB at this point. He's not elite 11 material right now. Should the staff NOT be going after the best we can get? Mahalek wanted an offer BAD, and we left him waiting too. Edouard got an OFFER, and he committed. We said all along we were taking two, he didnt like that and has been vacillating ever since. The kid is scared of the depth chart. This is NOT on the staff. He was a local kid with great potential and he got an offer. Now he's whining because we are taking another QB too. That's on him. Im happy with both of them, and may the best player get the start. But Im NOT buying the "we are running the kid off" bullsh*t. He has contradicted himself repeatedly, regularly talking about how he talks to Coley on FB, and now he hasnt talked to him? And he's wining about not feeling the love, and Coley races right over to see him to day to reassure him. The fact is, this kid is not a 5 star phenom that every program in America will kill for. It was OUR attention that got him noticed by most. He should feel lucky that he got an offer as a QB to UM, and he has a guaranteed slot if he wants it. If he wants to be the only QB, well then, let him go somewhere else. Id like him to be a Cane, but at this point, Im not convinced he is some "cant miss" prospect by a longshot.

Im also a bit sour on the kid since he's been doing more whining and vacillating, than actually recruiting for us locally. Its like he went from being honored to having a big time offer from UM, to being an ingrate because he isnt the only QB in this class.

He could grow 5 more inches but he better have a much better year than last year. IMO, you take the top kids you can land. A new O coach comes in and does a better job at finding talent willing to commit. Kind of damned if you do and damned if you don't. Let the kids prove themselves this year.

How can people actually believe that yesterday was the first time that Edouard talked to Coley? I saw a ton of kids at the Spring game around the coaches.

Am I supposed to believe Coley ignored him like a middle school girl while Alin was there?

Come on...repeat the narrative to yourself. It is VERY tough to believe.

I don't want to sound all 5Xy, but what's happening here seems very obvious, and it's the exact opposite of what you're implying. Ragging on the kid is extremely misplaced. I could be wrong, but this seems clear to me - we like other kids better and we're having difficulty breaking up without it turning into a complete disaster because we know we botched it and we know how it will be perceived in the area. Eduoard is a great kid.... I never got into the Twitter thing before last year, but reading these kids thoughts you really get a good picture of their character. This kid is a great kid who freaking loves the U and is feeling hurt - not because of the multiple QB thing (at least not mostly) but because of how we're handling everything. That's just my perspective, and I'll repeat that I could be dead wrong. He's smart enough to see the writing on the wall but he's STILL sticking with us and sort of forcing the coaches to tell him off. He's not a jerk prima donna, he's a super fan.

Coley likes bigger QB's. It's in his history. I think if he had his way, Edouard would have a tentative offer waiting for further evaluations. Edouard is a kid I'm sure he would be recruiting, but certainly wouldn't have a bullseye around his name right now.

If alin grows two inches by NSD I wonder how Coley would feel. Still looking forward to tracking our targets football seasons.
People still grow. Until they are like 21. Look at Anthony Davis in basketball....just saying kids can grow haha.

Kid needs to stop giving interviews until he figures things out a little.

I grew up in South Florida, and must have been the only kid not required to take Drama and Public Speaking classes each year. These Miami dudes are so damned loud and dramatic sometimes, it drives me crazy.

Things may be souring between Edouard and Miami, but there's no point in the media back-and-forth. Did Miami re-prioritize? Do you not feel appreciated? Then shut up and start looking around.

Yeah, twitter is not good for some of these kids.

Herm Edwards needs to start doing speeches in SFLA high schools.

Advertisement

Kenny Kelly got benched for Dorsey late in the '99 season. Then he went to baseball. Bro.

I mean, I was pretty young at the time, but I thought KK got hurt then got drafted by the Devil Rays and took the money and ran.

PS: I think Edouard is athletic as ****, a South Florida kid, and I was excited to have him. His stat line isn't impressive, but I liked what he could do with his legs and thought he had a strong, coachable arm.

That said, with all the BS, see you later, and bring me Donovan Isom!!!!!! We win on the trade.

I love it, Cowboycane! A Cane who actually knows his history pre-2001. Brings joy to my heart. You dont get that very often around this board.

Anyway, No need to beat a dead horse here. Its clear what happened as many have said. He thought he would be the only QB in the class. Like Kevin Olsen. Thought if he committed early he would get the coveted one spot. He thought wrong as im sure Al didnt tell him this. Now hes running a little scared. Louisville will be telling him everything he wants to hear. Esp if Teddy Pendergrass is his best friend. I dont like that we are looking bad in the media AGAIN. BUT I dont blame this on the staff. Kid needs to know that this is big time D1 ball. You dont wanna compete? Thats right. Go to L'ville.

Shutup..........like you're some kind of super fan number #99 makin' heads bleed bc you knew KK got benched (he got hurt btw) for Dorsey. *****, you need jesus.

Uh. Kenny Kelly got hurt, not benched. Dorsey got his **** ripped open against VT in his first real action.

Advertisement

Uh. Kenny Kelly got hurt, not benched. Dorsey got his **** ripped open against VT in his first real action.

That's how I remember it too. I played youth football with his cousin in Tampa when I was 13 and remember his family freaking out about the injury and what it meant for his draft status.

ps....sorry to thread jack.

Last edited:
Hey Alin, if you're reading this, it ain't personal. I'm sure things have changed between the ****ztobal and Coley days, and that may include the number of QB's we're looking at. If you are ready to come in and compete then come on. If you think you are gonna go somewhere else and be the only QB that the school you choose ever recruits, then you have another thing coming. This isn't high school anymore. Nothing is granted, you have to earn it. If you choose to go elsewhere, at least go to Syracuse and learn you sumfin.

Pause.

I never bashed the kid I'm saying make up your mind. It's nothing personal. Just business. He either is with us or he is not. I hope he stays with us but if you want to leave then leave. If you are gonna stay stfu and stay put. It's not hard. Nothing against the kid but the school wasn't built with one player and it qon't die with one player.

All I'm saying is I wish the kid would make his mind up. Kids always acting like they grown but when it come time for business they want to play games like kids.

Advertisement
Al Edwards is a whiny dude. He comes off like a chick almost every time he says anything.

Coach Alshermond probably thinks of that rat fvck Beanerdict Arnold every time he Al Edwards. Edwards is like the girl who told you that she fvcked some dude in the past that you just can't come to grips with her *******, so you get turned off to her and send her packing.

[]_[]nique-31;1498484 said:
He was being nice when he said trusts Coley. I don't see why everyone is on Alin as if he is the shady one in this situation. He committed in February and yesterday was the first time Coley reached out to him. Every other current commit and most recruits constantly talk about the constant contact they get from our coaches. UM has allowed doubt to creep into his head, that's not his fault. Those that pushed for him to commit two seconds after he was offered are now just as quick to ask for his decommittment. The staff definitely isn't perfect because they are human. It's not always the kids that mess **** up.

Good post. This staff is not beyond reproach.

This wouldn't be the first time they bungle a highly-touted local kid's recruitment.

LULZ at this lameness. What have they bungled with this guy? And he isn't really all that highly touted either. Dude threw 9 TDs and 9 INTs. I could roll out of bed and do that before I even take my morning ****.

That's how I remember it too. I played youth football with his cousin in Tampa when I was 13 and remember his family freaking out about the injury and what it meant for his draft status.

ps....sorry to thread jack.

You remember correctly. Kelly got hurt.

Advertisement
Back