ACC Tournament

Acer the Florida series most fans here believed the canes 50/50 to play in a regional.nobody 3 months ago said anything about a chance to host a regional.but if the articule you wrote in the preseason is true was spot on.I've always thought this year's team can be special one before it leaves.

I’m right with those who get emotional during game threads (it’s actually why I stopped posting during games for the most part).

But, I compile data on how players play throughout classes and how they develop and I think this team is a good team. Honestly, they have even been unlucky this year from a BaseRuns standpoint. They could have even a much better record with a little better fortune with sequencing etc.

I’m not saying they WILL get to Omaha, but with a decent draw they absolutely could be a CWS team this year. They also could go out in the Regionals if they get a draw that is unfavorable.

It’s just fun to be good again and at a place where we are competitive for CWS appearances again.

Advertisement
Just got home from Durham. The first 3 innings were great, but I kept thinking we needed to get one more hit each inning and that stranding those base runners would come back to haunt us. Haven't caught up reading this thread yet. Will be interested to see what happened on the play at third in extra innings. It looked like his hand came off the bag live and they only showed one replay at the stadium.

The first pitch

Toral's HR

Last edited:

I’m right with those who get emotional during game threads (it’s actually why I stopped posting during games for the most part).

But, I compile data on how players play throughout classes and how they develop and I think this team is a good team. Honestly, they have even been unlucky this year from a BaseRuns standpoint. They could have even a much better record with a little better fortune with sequencing etc.

I’m not saying they WILL get to Omaha, but with a decent draw they absolutely could be a CWS team this year. They also could go out in the Regionals if they get a draw that is unfavorable.

It’s just fun to be good again and at a place where we are competitive for CWS appearances again.

I just can't comprehend how the team is so bad at something as fundamental as throwing an accurate ball to a base or applying tags to a baserunner. Its like having a football team that is constantly getting penalized for jumping offsides and false starts. That doesn't take much skill like hitting 94 mph slider or painting the corners. Its just a matter of concentration and practice. I'm not sure if I should be optimistic or pessimistic about the future. If the team was playing good fundamental baseball but just missing enough studs, I'd be hopeful since DiMare can fix that with recruiting. If the team has talent but is constantly giving an opponent extra chances, I'm less positive since that means that the HC just doesn't know how to prepare his players. And yes, I'm aware we didn't have a lot of errors in the UNC game, but I'm talking about the season (and there are aspects of defense that don't get measured by errors like misapplying tags).

Pair of mercy rule results: FSU over NC State and LSU over Miss St. Combined with the USCB result we moved up a spot to 18.

NC State is down to 19. A loss to GT combined with a UCSB win over Cal Poly could leave them at 21. Could open the door for us to take their spot.

FSU is up to 49. Unfortunately, that should put them in but it does improve us to 15-15 against the top 50.

Last edited:

[/QU
Thanks for sharing that .I believe the canes are good enough to reach omaha this season.if not next 2-3 year's team could do a nc.

Advertisement
Well I'll say no matter what happens I was pleasantly surprised how the season progressed and really like the outlook for next year. Like so many feel, the frustrating part is mental mistakes, talent seems to be back. We need our aces to be aces, with our d, they will have to be on.

I just can't comprehend how the team is so bad at something as fundamental as throwing an accurate ball to a base or applying tags to a baserunner. Its like having a football team that is constantly getting penalized for jumping offsides and false starts. That doesn't take much skill like hitting 94 mph slider or painting the corners. Its just a matter of concentration and practice. I'm not sure if I should be optimistic or pessimistic about the future. If the team was playing good fundamental baseball but just missing enough studs, I'd be hopeful since DiMare can fix that with recruiting. If the team has talent but is constantly giving an opponent extra chances, I'm less positive since that means that the HC just doesn't know how to prepare his players. And yes, I'm aware we didn't have a lot of errors in the UNC game, but I'm talking about the season (and there are aspects of defense that don't get measured by errors like misapplying tags).

Why would you be pessimistic about the future? We just went from no post-season to 39-18, 19-13 in the ACC. We did this with the youngest team in the ACC and one of the youngest in the country. And with 15 of the 18 losses being by 3 runs or less, this team was pretty close to being elite this year

Yes, fielding must improve, but you have it backwards. Guys can learn how to field better (you trashed Brandon Lopez as the "worst SS ever" in 2015, then of course he was great in 2016) and getting more reps is key. But you win with talent, and you either have that or you dont. We have talent, are recruiting well, and are much improved from the past two years. So complaining about the direction of the program really because Zamora and Gil were bad in the field doesnt make much sense.

And we went from an average fielding team in 2015 to #1 in the NCAA in 2016, so saying guys cant improve has already been proven wrong

Last edited:
Pair of mercy rule results: FSU over NC State and LSU over Miss St. Combined with the USCB result we moved up a spot to 18.

NC State is down to 19. A loss to GT combined with a UCSB win over Cal Poly could leave them at 21. Could open the door for us to take their spot.

FSU is up to 49. Unfortunately, that should put them in but it does improve us to 15-15 against the top 50.

Outside shot still to host, but only with a lot of help. Need NC St to lose, WV to lose 2x to Texas Tech, and Ole Miss to lose. If all that happens, I think we'd get the last host spot. Obvioiusly, it's unlikely all that happens

Advertisement
Thoughts on where we would go if we don't host & how it would possibly set up for us bracket wise?

Very likely LSU it seems. A lot of the projections previously had LSU coming to Coral Gables, but now have flipped that around since Saturday. LSU would be a great matchup for us. They lack a great starting pitcher so you'd have to like our chances with McMahon going against them in game 2.

Two other possibilities are West Va and Texas A&M. Both would really suck. West Va has possibly the best college pitcher -- a surefire top-15 draft pick in Alek Manoah. That would be almost as difficult as it gets in game 2. And A&M has the best pitching staff in the SEC, so that might be an even more difficult matchup since they have multiple great starters.

IMO, out of the current projected hosts, LSU and ECU would be the best matchups for us

Let’s pump the brakes. We haven’t even won a game in a Regional yet. We’re not exactly “competitive for CWS appearances” until we’re in a Super Regional at least.

A&M doesn't deserve host site...……….$EC already getting 4 national seeds and maybe L$U. Enough is enough. I bet A&M doesn't get it.

Advertisement
A&M doesn't deserve host site...……….$EC already getting 4 national seeds and maybe L$U. Enough is enough. I bet A&M doesn't get it.

Will be telling to see if they get one, they beat LSU head to head so they do have an argument. But there is no way both of them deserve a site

I still can’t believe we lost that freaking game. One hit by Gil pretty much all game, heck just getting a walk in the first or second. TWO HBP’s that result in runs, one on an 0-2 count. Veliz making one mistake and it resulting in a 2-run jack. Just insane.

That L is going to stick with me.

There was a weird feel to that game. Even after it was 5-0 it didn’t feel like we had control. All I could think of was a couple years ago in the semis against them, get up early then fall asleep.

I told the guy sitting behind me who was a carolina fan when they took Cook out we were gonna lose. It had that kinda feel. He was real confused when Veliz came on tin the 8th, as was I

Advertisement

This is about what I thought coming into the game. I will happily eat a large plate of crow Sunday night if I’m wrong.

We're not hosting. No way. No chance. UNC and LSU have moved ahead of us for host sites. We are more than likely going to Baton Rouge as a #2 seed.

It's time to be Road Warriors!!!

I still can’t believe we lost that freaking game. One hit by Gil pretty much all game, heck just getting a walk in the first or second. TWO HBP’s that result in runs, one on an 0-2 count. Veliz making one mistake and it resulting in a 2-run jack. Just insane.

That L is going to stick with me.
These are the small subtleties that differentiate good from great teams. This team has talent. They could get to Omaha, but they make too many mistakes that wind up costing us runs. It seems like we're spotting teams 1-2 runs every game. We only pay attention when the games are close, but it's been going on all year.

These guys need to take that next step in consistancy and maturity as a team. We will be a top 10 maybe top 5 team next year. There's no reason they can't make that next evolutionary step in the postseason this year.

These are the small subtleties that differentiate good from great teams. This team has talent. They could get to Omaha, but they make too many mistakes that wind up costing us runs. It seems like we're spotting teams 1-2 runs every game. We only pay attention when the games are close, but it's been going on all year.

These guys need to take that next step in consistancy and maturity as a team. We will be a top 10 maybe top 5 team next year. There's no reason they can't make that next evolutionary step in the postseason this year.

This team still has the losing stigma from the past 2 years. We don’t have a winning mentality. Yesterday was the perfect example and it’s happened multiple times this year. We gotta start by cleaning up the defense and getting more dependable guys in the back end. Federman and Veliz cant do it all. And hopefully this year is a learning experience for Gino as well. He’s gotta be a better in game manager

Advertisement
Back