A word on infrastructure

Advertisement
The blueprint isn't there at all.

We can't do what Alabama does - we'd be buried by the NCAA within a week.

We can obviously massively improve on what we're currently doing, but we wouldn't be allowed to play them at their own game when it comes to acquiring talent (which, quite frankly, is still the most important part of coaching in College).
That was my point. Not so much the bag dropping, but the fact that most schools just aren’t in a position to make that kind of investment.

I’m starting to side with @Ethnicsands whose been harping on evals for years. That's one area where Miami needs to improve significantly. Start there.

Come on man an analytics guy and a personality test guy was never gonna give Miami a heads up that San Bruce would pull a gun on social media, or figure out Jarren was a pot head. One more guy to follow recruits pages, wasn’t gonna be the one to convince Banda Jobe wasn’t coming and to stop wasting his time. What’s going on at Bama is just different. We could never get multiple former P5 HC’s as analysts no matter how much money we had.

The secret is Saban. It’s ok to admit that. Everything makes more sense when you figure that out. Could we do better with what we have? Absolutely, but let’s not act like we could replicate what he’s doing.
This is absurdly wrong. Sam Bruce was a known issue long before we took him. So it didn't even take a personality profile to address that issue. QBs who are pot heads shouldn't be tolerate by head coaches. That's on them. Culture, standards. As for coaches being incapable of taking in information or learning, that's on them. If they can't improve they'll depart.

But personality and psychological profiling for role and cultural fit is a serious area of focus and study that plenty of businesses utilize today. Pro sports teams use these tools also. There isn't any reason other than lack of seriousness that would cause a major CFB team not to go this route. Fans who are skeptical just don't understand the field.

As for Saban, it's weird to say he's the secret. He's the head coach. His formula includes a lot of things he does. If you think you can't learn from it because without him it's all pointless, then you're not only wrong, you've given up.

I am not disagreeing with any of this stuff. I am just keeping it very simple.

With our current system in place (e.g. Blake James and the micromanaging BOTs) none of this really matters. We know we have more resources than those teams in the Coastal. We also have more talent than those teams in the Coastal too. Yet, we still don't beat these teams consistently.

Until we change our AD and our process, it will look like "a bunch of ruhtards trying to **** a doorknob". Of course more money would help but when your decision makers think it is a good idea "to pay Temple a $4-million buyout for Diaz’s 18-day dalliance" you have bigger issues to address first. Remember that was after they choose to have no official coaching search or interviews. This failed experiment happened before here too. We already promoted our DC from a failed regime...but this time we choose to pay for the rights to do it.

It is time for Danny White. It is time to change the whole process first.
Oh, I agree that our AD and Admin is a root cause here. I'm just trying to articulate what should be done. A new AD would make a big difference for sure.

Advertisement
This is absurdly wrong. Sam Bruce was a known issue long before we took him. So it didn't even take a personality profile to address that issue. QBs who are pot heads shouldn't be tolerate by head coaches. That's on them. Culture, standards. As for coaches being incapable of taking in information or learning, that's on them. If they can't improve they'll depart.

But personality and psychological profiling for role and cultural fit is a serious area of focus and study that plenty of businesses utilize today. Pro sports teams use these tools also. There isn't any reason other than lack of seriousness that would cause a major CFB team not to go this route. Fans who are skeptical just don't understand the field.

As for Saban, it's weird to say he's the secret. He's the head coach. His formula includes a lot of things he does. If you think you can't learn from it because without him it's all pointless, then you're not only wrong, you've given up.

I guess OSU or UF didn’t profile Bruce correctly either then did they?

If it can be done without Saban, if you learn from him, then why haven’t any of his assistants replicated it? It’s not for lack of funding at Georgia with Smart, or Pruitt at Tennessee. Soon to be Sarkisian at Texas. Locksley can’t beat inferior teams with the “formula” at MD. So what is it that Bama has that nobody else does if it’s not Saban?

That was my point. Not so much the bag dropping, but the fact that most schools just aren’t in a position to make that kind of investment.

I’m starting to side with @Ethnicsands whose been harping on evals for years. That's one area where Miami needs to improve significantly. Start there.
Yep.

And evals do a lot of things. It's not just some 'who's a better prospect?' It's 'who's a better prospect for us?' That requires a clearer summary of what we need and are looking for, and our cultural and how kids project into it. It also focuses analysis on attributes other than what your eyes see, that have a big impact on ultimate contribution. Attitude, mentality, character.

I guess OSU or UF didn’t profile Bruce correctly either then did they?

If it can be done without Saban, if you learn from him, then why haven’t any of his assistants replicated it? It’s not for lack of funding at Georgia with Smart, or Pruitt at Tennessee. Soon to be Sarkisian at Texas. Locksley can’t beat inferior teams with the “formula” at MD. So what is it that Bama has that nobody else does if it’s not Saban?
You say this, but you have no idea. He didn't go to either program. Did he get signing papers from them?

In any case, each program has to assess its own needs and culture and risks. Sometimes schools will make mistakes. When you're as **** awful as UM has been at this, the idea that it's all pointless because of one anecdote to the contrary is idiotic.

As for your question, it's an odd an obstinate one. Maybe they took the wrong lessons from him. Maybe they're not good at it. Maybe they are working on it. It's not a magic formula you wave a wand at. But the basic lessons are obvious and most good scaled businesses in this country have embraced them already.

Sark may well get this right at Texas. Don't know. Maryland is a dumb example by you and highlights you don't even grasp the discussion. They have no access to talent worth discussing, and he's been there for 2 years, which isn't enough time in any case. He may be applying some of these lessons - I don't know. Do you?

Marcus "Mr E before the W" Lemonis can save any business on the planet, but he can't build up the UM football program?

Advertisement
I see a lot of ‘can’t match alabama so why bother try to improve’ in this thread and elsewhere.

I also see arguments that suggest that there’s nothing to learn from saban because his success hasn’t been replicated by his assistants.

both seem like really uninteresting assessments. What possible argument is there in defense of the amateur hour approach Um has taken to infrastructure support? should everyone agree we have to get way better at running a cfb team?

I see a lot of ‘can’t match alabama so why bother try to improve’ in this thread and elsewhere.

I also see arguments that suggest that there’s nothing to learn from saban because his success hasn’t been replicated by his assistants.

both seem like really uninteresting assessments. What possible argument is there in defense of the amateur hour approach Um has taken to infrastructure support? should everyone agree we have to get way better at running a cfb team?

Apparently you don’t get the concept of asymmetrical warfare. We can’t be Bama. Will never have those types of resources. We have to be somebody else to beat them. Just the same way that Schnelly didn’t try to be Nebraska or Oklahoma in his time. He changed the paradigm. That is what we have to do, we just haven’t done it in the last 15 or 20 years

Oh, I agree that our AD and Admin is a root cause here. I'm just trying to articulate what should be done. A new AD would make a big difference for sure.

That is my biggest concern here. The process and the people in charge of the process are so ***ing bad. Give them more money, they will probably waste it. When it comes to waste, we're pretty great at it. Look at their history of waste here (https://www.canesinsight.com/threads/barry-jackson-diaz’s-new-miami-was-a-flop-in-year-one-and-here’s-what-must-happen-next.155660/page-5#post-4398832).

Imagine if we had the $4MM back we WASTED on Manny Diaz. Imagine if we spent it on the right AD, and at the time, he would have been much cheaper than he is today. Danny White was peanuts then. His buyout TODAY isn't substantial but Danny White isn't coming here to be a puppet for a bunch of simps.

Back to your point...This infrastructure is great IF IF IF we had competent people in charge of it. I am not concerned with being Bama or Clemson today. We hardly ever play these teams and one of them is in our conference. Also, we have more resources and talent than the teams that we do play (e.g. the Coastal) but we can't beat them consistently. Perhaps we should address this FIRST.

I am concerned FIRST with fixing the process.

Apparently you don’t get the concept of asymmetrical warfare. We can’t be Bama. Will never have those types of resources. We have to be somebody else to beat them. Just the same way that Schnelly didn’t try to be Nebraska or Oklahoma in his time. He changed the paradigm. That is what we have to do, we just haven’t done it in the last 15 or 20 years
Wrong. You just don't get the concept of preparation. This has nothing to do with asymmetry. At all. Asymmetry is what you apply on field - if you can. Their guys are pretty **** fast and skilled, not just big. But there's no set of kids or scheme we're going to run with that isn't improved by better infrastructure and preparation. I'm not here saying recruit to their scheme.

In any case, it's obvious that (a) our teams have been poorly prepared for ages, and (b) Alabama's approach has a lot we and others can learn from. If you or others don't see that, I can't help you.

Advertisement
Wrong. You just don't get the concept of preparation. This has nothing to do with asymmetry. At all. Asymmetry is what you apply on field - if you can. Their guys are pretty **** fast and skilled, not just big. But there's no set of kids or scheme we're going to run with that isn't improved by better infrastructure and preparation. I'm not here saying recruit to their scheme.

In any case, it's obvious that (a) our teams have been poorly prepared for ages, and (b) Alabama's approach has a lot we and others can learn from. If you or others don't see that, I can't help you.

Apparently you don’t have much real world experience and/or success.

You are also conflating my asymmetrical remark with field tactics, that is not what I’m saying. I’m saying we succeed by doing it a different way - not the same way.

Of course we need better coaching and preparation, but that all goes together. Any idiot knows that.

We can’t be in Alabama because, we don’t have the resources.

Your original premise is about making our infrastructure similar to Alabama’s, and I defy that premise. We do not have the monetary resources to do that.

We do have the resources to hire better coaches, and improve the infrastructure to make it more efficient. Not make it bigger.

We don’t have those resources and we never will, because we don’t have the booster or fan base that they do, and that’s what pays for it. But we will never have armies of analysts or anywhere near the infrastructure that Alabama does.

That’s how wrong you are.

We don’t have to be a mini version of Alabama, we have to be the best version of a small guerrilla school with asymmetrical tactics. We haven’t done that well yet, but that is the goal

That is my biggest concern here. The process and the people in charge of the process are so ***ing bad. Give them more money, they will probably waste it. When it comes to waste, we're pretty great at it. Look at their history of waste here (https://www.canesinsight.com/threads/barry-jackson-diaz’s-new-miami-was-a-flop-in-year-one-and-here’s-what-must-happen-next.155660/page-5#post-4398832).

Imagine if we had the $4MM back we WASTED on Manny Diaz. Imagine if we spent it on the right AD, and at the time, he would have been much cheaper than he is today. Danny White was peanuts then. His buyout TODAY isn't substantial but Danny White isn't coming here to be a puppet for a bunch of simps.

Back to your point...This infrastructure is great IF IF IF we had competent people in charge of it. I am not concerned with being Bama or Clemson today. We hardly ever play these teams and one of them is in our conference. Also, we have more resources and talent than the teams that we do play (e.g. the Coastal) but we can't beat them consistently. Perhaps we should address this FIRST.

I am concerned FIRST with fixing the process.
I'm talking about fixing the process as well. The process of running a team. Because not sure what else there is to say. Yes we should fire the AD and get a real staff. Okay. Agreed. Nothing more interesting to say there.

But how should a better AD and staff actually run a CFB team in this day and age, at UM, with our assets, resources and deficiencies? That's more interesting to discuss, IMO.

Apparently you don’t have much real world experience and/or success.

You are also conflating my asymmetrical remark with field tactics, that is not what I’m saying. I’m saying we succeed by doing it a different way - not the same way.

Of course we need better coaching and preparation, but that all goes together. Any idiot knows that.

We can’t be in Alabama because, we don’t have the resources.

Your original premise is about making our infrastructure similar to Alabama’s, and I defy that premise. We do not have the monetary resources to do that.

We do have the resources to hire better coaches, and improve the infrastructure to make it more efficient. Not make it bigger.

We don’t have those resources and we never will, because we don’t have the booster or fan base that they do, and that’s what pays for it. But we will never have armies of analysts or anywhere near the infrastructure that Alabama does.

That’s how wrong you are.

We don’t have to be a mini version of Alabama, we have to be the best version of a small guerrilla school with asymmetrical tactics. We haven’t done that well yet, but that is the goal
Sorry man, you're apparently illiterate. You try to disagree with everything, and apparently can't even process what you read.

Any time someone hypes their own success or imagines they know others' success or lack thereof from an anonymous message board, there's really no point in the exchange.

Advertisement
Sorry man, you're apparently illiterate. You try to disagree with everything, and apparently can't even process what you read.

Any time someone hypes their own success or imagines they know others' success or lack thereof from an anonymous message board, there's really no point in the exchange.

Apparently, you’re unwilling to have an adult discussion, but I get your unwillingness to have this mature discussion.

I mean you can’t even defend your original premise coherently.

Rather than defending your premise in a logical and fact based manner, you are resorting to trite and immature ad-hominem attacks, since you have nothing to provide.

I mean you can’t even delineate how we somehow approach Alabama’s infrastructure. That was your original premise after all.

But go ahead keep ****ing in the wind, instead of discussing some actual possible solutions that are feasible.

But how should a better AD and staff actually run a CFB team in this day and age, at UM, with our assets, resources and deficiencies? That's more interesting to discuss, IMO.

Like I said, I am not concerned with Clemson and Bama. I am not concerned with the resources they have. I am not concerned with the disparity.

My first and real concern is fixing the primary issue. You know, I know, people who are capable of logical and rational thought know, that that we have a bunch of potatoes running athletics. It doesn't matter what we spend, how much talent we have or who our competition is yearly, because we constantly fail to hit low bars. We can't overcome the weak Coastal. We can't overcome the chitty ACC (sans Clemson).

This is why I am not concerned with teams we don't play yearly. I am not concerned with what Bama and Clemson spends/spent.

If we were a team that was constantly finishing 10-2 or 11-1 (during the regular season), wining the coastal, making the ACCCG and then losing to Clemson...I would be concerned about the tremendous gap in resources. Until that time, we should be able to hit these very attainable goals.

Please note: My bar isn't winning the Coastal. I want more. Much more. Also, I am not saying your point isn't a concern. I am just concerned with the things we actually can EASILY fix NOW.

The reality of being a small, private institution with a limited alumni base makes this a long-term challenge.
I am not sure this holds true anymore ? we have 95M from Adidas + ACC money. do we have Bama , Clemson LSU cash NO
but we can invest to the tune he is speaking about and make it happen. everyone says E before W but take a look at schools who have Athletic success , rising tide lifts all ships.....

Advertisement
Back