A word on infrastructure

I stopped here. Giving a **** isn't the same has having total apathy, zero accountability and hiring the unemployable. Is that what your saying? Why do better academic schools (e.g. Michigan, Notre Dame and Wisconsin) seem to manage just fine?

So according to you, our President should not be expected to care AT ALL about athletics. Does this mean they shouldn't want to hire the best person to run the department? You would think if they didn't give a **** they wouldn't want anyone to bother them. You would think they would want to hire someone ONCE and let them run the department so the President can be left alone.

Once again, the University President doesn't make decisions in regards to hiring and firing AD staff. Michigan, Notre Dame, and Wisconsin has dedicated, passionate Board members that are responsible for the AD and act accordingly. The major difference is that Miami has BOT members that are responsible for athletics that aren't doing their job.

I know this is difficult to understand so I'm going to spell it out AGAIN. At most schools, the University President at most relevant academic institutions doesn't give a rat's *** about the day to day management about the athletic department, they leave it to the people whose money makes the department possible. The ONLY reason most University Presidents get involved is when there's a PR nightmare, or something that can drastically affect the University as a whole(IE widespread NCAA violations, ethical collapses(Baylor, PSU, FSU)). The typical University President doesn't care about athletics because for the most part it's not the thing that can get you fired. You know what CAN get you fired? Not fundraising for the academic side, decreasing prestige and loss of faith with the governing board.

Advertisement
When I saw them do that crazy ankle surgery on tua to get him back in time to play in the playoff 2 years ago That nobody could compete with them from a infrastructure standpoint.

Why do people keep saying isht like this?

What is a ‘Golden type hire’?

Golden was awful. The only thing I can figure out is people liked how he looked. His background was overrated, his approach was a fail, he’s not a leader. If he were a real HC he’d have found an opportunity already. He isn’t.

An up and coming midmajor guy, with a solid pedigree, that understands the unique advantages of what Miami offers. Out of all the hires Miami has made over the last 20 years, Golden was really the ONLY hire you could sell as the kind of hire a program looking to do something makes. Richt was a hire that sounded nice, until you realized that you weren't getting 2004 Richt, you were getting Richt at the end of his run. He was a stabilizing force, but he wasn't the kind of guy that was going to do the things you needed in order to move forward.

Does making a rational hire guarantee that the coach succeeds? No, guys fail, they fail because of things that you may have not anticipated. Look at how many guys this board LOVED 3 years ago failed at programs that offer far more in regards to resources. Tom Herman, Chip Kelly, all have been busts. Think they magically forgot how to coach? Al Golden ultimately failed because he lacked the mindset needed to be a CEO at a major program. He was too loyal to bad assistants. You look at all the other things he did, and some of the hires he made, dude wasn't nearly the garbage dump a lot of our fans believe he was.

People like yourself do not understand that in personnel hiring, there is nuance. A guy can not work out, but the hire was justified based on the information at the time. There are guys like Manny, who have an extremely high failure probability, mostly because you don't have data points, you don't have a lot to go on. That's WHY I stated that James should have been fired the moment he suggested Diaz without even making a phone call to a better qualified candidate.

Last edited:
it docent but our BOT doesnt want to. they want to feel like theyre in power and make awful decisions

Like I said...This has nothing to do with academics or insane amounts of money.

This is a very simple problem we have at UM. It is an obvious issue too.

Good news: All we need to do is bring in a competent AD with passion and autonomy.

Bad news: Our incompetent, illogical and ignorant BOTs refuse to address the obvious issue.

A good post regarding the history of hiring this position. Some people just don’t get , or aren’t good at analyzing, what’s going on.
lol. what ‘analyzing’ are you doing? the history you refer to is a history of failure. bad ADs, bad hiring processes, bad institutional oversight. it sucks and should change, and there’s nothing deep or analytical about observing that it probably won’t.

Advertisement
Once again, the University President doesn't make decisions in regards to hiring and firing AD staff.

I stopped here. Are you saying that the university President has no impact/no say in the athletic department? Or are you assuming that our atrocious President, who should have never been hired, doesn’t care about athletics?

Don’t give me more bullchit about “major research institution”?

An up and coming midmajor guy, with a solid pedigree, that understands the unique advantages of what Miami offers. Out of all the hires Miami has made over the last 20 years, Golden was really the ONLY hire you could sell as the kind of hire a program looking to do something makes. Richt was a hire that sounded nice, until you realized that you weren't getting 2004 Richt, you were getting Richt at the end of his run. He was a stabilizing force, but he wasn't the kind of guy that was going to do the things you needed in order to move forward.

Does making a rational hire guarantee that the coach succeeds? No, guys fail, they fail because of things that you may have not anticipated. Look at how many guys this board LOVED 3 years ago failed at programs that offer far more in regards to resources. Tom Herman, Chip Kelly, all have been busts. Think they magically forgot how to coach? Al Golden ultimately failed because he lacked the mindset needed to be a CEO at a major program. He was too loyal to bad assistants. You look at all the other things he did, and some of the hires he made, dude wasn't nearly the garbage dump a lot of our fans believe he was.

People like yourself do not understand that in personnel hiring, there is nuance. A guy can not work out, but the hire was justified based on the information at the time. There are guys like Manny, who have an extremely high failure probability, mostly because you don't have data points, you don't have a lot to go on. That's WHY I stated that James should have been fired the moment he suggested Diaz without even making a phone call to a better qualified candidate.
No offense, but you sound clueless. First you dismiss the person you’re talking to without knowing anything that justifies your contention, then you regurgitate blah blah generalities that are inapplicable to the situation you’re trying to defend. you’re just wrong on the golden hire, which makes your comment ridiculous. you also sound like you learned what you think you know about hiring from a cheerios box.

Golden was a terrible hire not because he failed. he failed because he was a terrible hire for reasons that a good assessment would have brought out. his allegedly strong record at temple was a sham that resulted from changing leagues. his scheme was a TERRIBLE fit for Miami given its local recruiting grounds and history. His attachment to his buddy as DC was a red flag any competent hiring process should have illuminated. There are also almost certainly some other red flags that a decent assessment would have illuminated, but I suspect UM didn’t do one.

The problem with golden’s hire is that the UM AD didn’t know what it needed in a HC, so it had no idea what qualities would rule him in or out. He was a feel good hire because the ‘narrative’ was what you describe, but it was lazy and untrue. There are posters on this board who said all this right when he was hired, so this isn’t just some hindsight is 20/20 comment.

A lot of folks here like to claim they know so much about hiring and others don’t. But none of them ever seem to say anything interesting about hiring. Hiring is hard enough when you assess it all properly. It’s really likely to fail when you don’t know what you need, don’t know what you’re looking for in a person, and have a useless process to assess.

Last edited:
Advertisement
our fan base is so triggered. rather than ask what we can do better and differently, we get a bunch of ‘we can’t beat alabama’, as if that’s even the point.

maybe no one wants to work for manny. then fire him. that’s a distraction too.

the question is how can Um get way better at football. i think it’s achievable.

it sure would help to start with a legit head coach for once in two decades.

and when saban retires ... we ain’t going to catch them if we don’t get way better first. right now we should be worried about catching UNC.
This. People were dismissing North Carolina when they hired Mac Brown. Look at what he's doing since he arrived there. We can't keep hiring guys who keep hiring the projects.

This. People were dismissing North Carolina when they hired Mac Brown. Look at what he's doing since he arrived there. We can't keep hiring guys who keep hiring the projects.

Amazing how amped you are getting for Mack Brown, who has significantly lower expectations at UNC, than what you'd find at any major program. If Mack wins 7-9 games per year, he'll stay there until he retires. He's a retread that is a couple of lost assistants away from being the same tired mediocrity he was at Texas. Mack is basically Richt, the only major difference is that Mack has always been a delegator, a politician. Had Richt not cared about calling plays, he most likely would have fine. Mack is basically a figurehead masquerading as a HC. He is an AD that happens to have a headset on gameday.

Saban flips out when his team is up by 50 because someone missed an assignment. Manny plays slip n slide after squeaking by UVA.

It’s a mindset and it starts at the top.
A lot agree with you and rightfully so.. at the same time no one looks like they are having fun at bama.. Yes when they win they smile alot but there is no joy. Would love the days again with coaches with personalities and a general mystery as to who would win it all. I forget what thats like

Amazing how amped you are getting for Mack Brown, who has significantly lower expectations at UNC, than what you'd find at any major program. If Mack wins 7-9 games per year, he'll stay there until he retires. He's a retread that is a couple of lost assistants away from being the same tired mediocrity he was at Texas. Mack is basically Richt, the only major difference is that Mack has always been a delegator, a politician. Had Richt not cared about calling plays, he most likely would have fine. Mack is basically a figurehead masquerading as a HC. He is an AD that happens to have a headset on gameday.
Who also is 2-0 against us. Who also literally ran us out of our **** stadium. 36 points man.

Advertisement
yikes. Mack Brown is doing quite well. How did he do a couple weeks back vs Miami?

No offense, but you sound clueless. First you dismiss the person you’re talking to without knowing anything that justifies your contention, then you regurgitate blah blah generalities that are inapplicable to the situation you’re trying to defend. you’re just wrong on the golden hire, which makes your comment ridiculous. you also sound like you learned what you think you know about hiring from a cheerios box.

Golden was a terrible hire not because he failed. he failed because he was a terrible hire for reasons that a good assessment would have brought out. his allegedly strong record at temple was a sham that resulted from changing leagues. his scheme was a TERRIBLE fit for Miami given its local recruiting grounds and history. His attachment to his buddy as DC was a red flag any competent hiring process should have illuminated. There are also almost certainly some other red flags that a decent assessment would have illuminated, but I suspect UM didn’t do one.

The problem with golden’s hire is that the UM AD didn’t know what it needed in a HC, so it had no idea what qualities would rule him in or out. He was a feel good hire because the ‘narrative’ was what you describe, but it was lazy and untrue. There are posters on this board who said all this right when he was hired, so this isn’t just some hindsight is 20/20 comment.

A lot of folks here like to claim they know so much about hiring and others don’t. But none of them ever seem to say anything interesting about hiring. Hiring is hard enough when you assess it all properly. It’s really likely to fail when you don’t know what you need, don’t know what you’re looking for in a person, and have a useless process to assess.

Why am I not shocked that the first thing you reach for are insults. That's all you have, mostly because you couldn't grasp nuance if it was staring you in the face. Contrary to what you think, there's a continuum in regards to coaches. It's not an all or nothing thing, because no hire is all or nothing.

Keep in mind, any coach you hire will have question marks. You pointed out Al's question marks, I can name the question marks for every single hire ever made. Those question marks are ignored if those coaches succeed, but if they fail, they are pointed to. EVERY HIRE IS A RISK. A good hiring manager tries to minimize risks, by evaluating what information is there.

Advertisement
our fan base is so triggered. rather than ask what we can do better and differently, we get a bunch of ‘we can’t beat alabama’, as if that’s even the point.

maybe no one wants to work for manny. then fire him. that’s a distraction too.

the question is how can Um get way better at football. i think it’s achievable.

it sure would help to start with a legit head coach for once in two decades.

and when saban retires ... we ain’t going to catch them if we don’t get way better first. right now we should be worried about catching UNC.

Bro; I noticed something very troubling since The Portal and our “infrastructure.”

Since the inception of the portal (‘19), I took a look at the AP top 10 to compare how top teams utilize the portal.

-Bama (4 transfers in)
-OSU (7 transfers in)
-Clemson (0 transfers in)
-TAM (0 transfers in)
-ND (5 transfers in)
-OU (9 transfers in)
-Iowa St (5 transfers in)
-UGA (7 transfers in)
-North Western (5 transfers in)
-Cincy (12 transfers in)
-
-
-Miami (16 transfers in, thus far)

What’s interesting out of all the P5 squads, we are by far the 2nd chance U. The only top 10 school that has a similar tracking w/ the portal is a G5 school in Cincy.
The commonality is the perennial top 10 teams don’t dip in the portal frequently. When they do, they either cherry pick for a position of need due to health, experience, or strictly depth. They are not fielding a team w such.

Our roster continues to go through influx whether that’s players coming in at a high rate staying for a yr or two, or leaving at a high rate after a yr or two.

Those aforementioned teams have a high transfer out rate, but those transfers are due to getting buried on the depth chart, unable to compete; but more importantly, those same guys are replaced with the next incoming class.

Edit: I know there’s been transfers in the past, but it appears we’re taking & losing transfers at an alarming rate compared to the rest of P5 teams. This lack of cohesion has also led to inconsistent results.

Last edited:
Why am I not shocked that the first thing you reach for are insults. That's all you have, mostly because you couldn't grasp nuance if it was staring you in the face. Contrary to what you think, there's a continuum in regards to coaches. It's not an all or nothing thing, because no hire is all or nothing.

Keep in mind, any coach you hire will have question marks. You pointed out Al's question marks, I can name the question marks for every single hire ever made. Those question marks are ignored if those coaches succeed, but if they fail, they are pointed to. EVERY HIRE IS A RISK. A good hiring manager tries to minimize risks, by evaluating what information is there.
you baselessly claim others don’t understand hiring or it’s ‘nuances,’ but actually tell us nothing about either topic. you just repeat generalities and claim you’re so smart. you can defend anything. except it’s all wrong. the red flags around golden were actually and easily identified by plenty of people around this program, and they were raised at the time, and they were spot on. they were precisely the signs that he was a bad hire and included key reasons why he actually failed. so they aren’t just accurate they were predictive.

to contend on the face of that that it was all unknowable that he was a bad decision is ridiculous. no one is contending that there aren’t possible questions about any hire - that’s just some dumb strawman you created to stubbornly ignore the fact that golden was a terrible hire. you’re unwilling to admit you’re wrong.

if you think i insulted you, go read your own post again. yes, you sound clueless when you’re claiming to know more than other posters about hiring and it’s ‘nuances,’ both because you don’t know every else’s knowledge and you’ve offered nothing interesting about your own knowledge base here. all you’re claiming is the word ‘nuance’ somehow covers up the idiocy of the golden hire because ... reasons.

Golden was a Hocutt hire a month before he skipped town. He thought he hired the anti-Shannon. Maybe he did, but not in the way he thought.

Bro; I noticed something very troubling since The Portal and our “infrastructure.”

Since the inception of the portal (‘19), I took a look at the AP top 10 to compare how top teams utilize the portal.

-Bama (4 transfers in)
-OSU (7 transfers in)
-Clemson (0 transfers in)
-TAM (0 transfers in)
-ND (5 transfers in)
-OU (9 transfers in)
-Iowa St (5 transfers in)
-UGA (7 transfers in)
-North Western (5 transfers in)
-Cincy (12 transfers in)
-
-
-Miami (16 transfers in, thus far)

What’s interesting out of all the P5 squads, we are by far the 2nd chance U. The only top 10 school that has a similar tracking w/ the portal is a G5 school in Cincy.
The commonality is the perennial top 10 teams don’t dip in the portal frequently. When they do, they either cherry pick for a position of need due to health, experience, or strictly depth. They are not fielding a team w such.

Our roster continues to go through influx whether that’s players coming in at a high rate staying for a yr or two, or leaving at a high rate after a yr or two.

Those aforementioned teams have a high transfer out rate, but those transfers are due to getting buried on the depth chart, unable to compete; but more importantly, those same guys are replaced with the next incoming class.

Edit: I know there’s been transfers in the past, but it appears we’re taking & losing transfers at an alarming rate compared to the rest of P5 teams. This lack of cohesion has also led to inconsistent results.
i think it’s a great observation. the reason we’re doing this is gaping roster holes from bad and lazy recruiting, bad roster management and a culture where too many kids leave early. so i understand the need and can’t even disagree with using the portal as part of the solution - i just agree with you that it’s a stop-gap and the actual issues need to be addressed.

Advertisement
Back