A word on infrastructure

Ethnicsands

All-American
Plenty of folks myself included been talking about we lack infrastructure and Alabama’s got it, also Clemson and OSU.

I thought it merits clarification and discussion.

When I say that, I am not talking about locker rooms or weight rooms or practice facilities or stadiums. I am not talking about capex almost at all.

To me, infrastructure is Alabama’s investment in people, processes and systems to support recruiting evaluations, player development, data analytics, quality control and game planning. These areas change the game for their coaches. Combined with the right coaches, culture and talent, the results are impressive.

This type of infrastructure is doable for UM. It’s not cheap and systems cost something but in this cloud world not a lot. Coaches aside, we probably need to spend $4-5 mm more on infrastructure to be serious. A serious staff is probably another 3-4 mm. If we spent that, we should be able to have a top 5 team.

Advertisement
Plenty of folks myself included been talking about we lack infrastructure and Alabama’s got it, also Clemson and OSU.

When I say that, I am not talking about locker rooms or weight rooms or practice facilities or stadiums. I am not talking about capex almost at all.

To me, infrastructure is Alabama’s investment in people, processes and systems to support recruiting evaluations, player development, data analytics, quality control and game planning. These areas change the game for their coaches. Combined with the right coaches, culture and talent, the results are impressive.

This type of infrastructure is doable for UM. It’s not cheap and systems cost something but in this cloud world not a lot. Coaches aside, we probably need to spend $4-5 mm more on infrastructure to be serious. A serious staff is probably another 3-4 mm. If we spent that, we should be able to have a top 5 team.
These are the changes I hope for in the off season much more than hiring new assistants. We start hiring former head coaches on as support staff, then I'll think we might have something.

Advertisement

Been saying it for many years now. It all starts with the administration and their commitment to the program. If the commitment is half a** then you can make a run but you can't maintain. I truly believe (almost know) that we have the cash flow to compete with these big time programs. However, administrative priorities and the limited allocation of funds have been hindering us for the last X amount of years.

Advertisement
The reality of being a small, private institution with a limited alumni base makes this a long-term challenge.
Being smack in the middle of the most per capita high school talent in the county mostly negates that. It isn't just the blue chip guys that go for SEC bags. It's the 3 star types in our backyard we ignore that go on to collect NFL paychecks and we watch them get introduced on MNF and we ask "why did they go to Pitt/Louisville/West Virginia/etc?"

it would pay for itself if we’d just get it right. this isn’t tens of millions in capex. this is investment to generate revenue.
Believe it or not there has been talks about how much Blake James loves the turnover chain and the advocate (Manny) because that prop has helped generate $ through media clips and frenzies across ESPN. I like Manny but the chain is just HYPE and it will only take you so far.

Bottom line, they care more about football and winning than we do

Bama boosters paid off Saban's house

Bama boosters give kids cars

Bama police let off football players off easy

Bama reports 16 NCAA violations a year on the same date every year and nothing happens

Meanwhile at Miami

Our school gets an illegal NCAA Investigation for a ponzi scheme artist because he gave kids an ice cream and made up abortions

Our kids lose year of eligibility for having free rent a car and returning them

Miami news "reporters" try to break everything no matter if it hurts the University

Advertisement

We’ve got the $$$. I question if we have the people smart enough to implement it.

Believe it or not there has been talks about how much Blake James loves the turnover chain and the advocate (Manny) because that prop has helped generate $ through media clips and frenzies across ESPN. I like Manny but the chain is just HYPE and it will only take you so far.
i’ve said the same thing - the chain is worse than hype imo. it’s cultural poison.

Advertisement
Bama boosters paid off Saban's house

Bama boosters give kids cars

Bama police let off football players off easy

Bama reports 16 NCAA violations a year on the same date every year and nothing happens

Meanwhile at Miami

Our school gets an illegal NCAA Investigation for a ponzi scheme artist because he gave kids an ice cream and made up abortions

Our kids lose year of eligibility for having free rent a car and returning them

Miami news "reporters" try to break everything no matter if it hurts the University
you’re letting the distractions get to you. that all may be true but it doesn’t explain hiring clowns as coaches and not doing the work of trying hard.

and the issue with shapiro is that he personally went to war with us. if someone did that to alabama the ncaa would have to take note - at least until the person was arkancided.

It needs to be run like a premier business, exactly as Ethnicsands described. Peel it back. What's the target? It's to win a NC. The entire program needs to be designed to do just that sustainably.
My man wush! We never disagree. Only I'd actually say that the bar is so low for managerial success in CFB that Miami would do well just to be run as an above average business. The reality of the sport is most of these programs are incredibly amateurish. Alabama is not amateurish. I don't think Clemson is either, but their overall talent isn't where it needs to be.

Advertisement
Back