A word on infrastructure

My man wush! We never disagree. Only I'd actually say that the bar is so low for managerial success in CFB that Miami would do well just to be run as an above average business. The reality of the sport is most of these programs are incredibly amateurish. Alabama is not amateurish. I don't think Clemson is either, but their overall talent isn't where it needs to be.
I'm not familiar with this area of college athletics. How big of a difference, let's say in the player development dept. is there between Miami and schools like Alabama? Also, does Alabama hiring former ex coaches as analyst fit into this discussion?

Advertisement
you’re letting the distractions get to you. that all may be true but it doesn’t explain hiring clowns as coaches and not doing the work of trying hard.

and the issue with shapiro is that he personally went to war with us. if someone did that to alabama the ncaa would have to take note - at least until the person was arkancided.

Difference is in Bama there is **** all to do so all those hillbilly ****ers have nothing better to do than to live through that football team. Every blood, sweat, and tears are put into that program thats why someone like Shapiro would never happen at Bama.

I'm not familiar with this area of college athletics. How big of a difference, let's say in the player development dept. is there between Miami and schools like Alabama? Also, does Alabama hiring former ex coaches as analyst fit into this discussion?
Yes to your question. But its not just that. It's the data analytics approach and infrastructure that supports them.

As to your first question, I would guess an enormous difference. From what I understand, Alabama has detailed objectives, metrics and a performance improvement plan for everyone on their roster, based on detailed assessments of physical and psychological tendencies, skill level, position and team needs, supported by their analytics group. That stuff is well thought out, integrated across positions and classes, and across S&C and position coaches. It's not even hard to do it. it just takes work, focus, and investment. I don't know why the rest of CFB doesn't copy what they're doing. It's not like alabama invented something unique - they just borrowed from the NFL and other well-run businesses.

For $1 million a year we could hire 10-15 guys that text recruits everyday and work on analytics etc. but the difference is Bama’s analytics guys are former head coaches and ours would be GA’s. No team will ever have their infrastructure. Alabama is a literal rehab program for head coaches. Throwing money at things sounds great but if you don’t hire the right people with that money it won’t make much difference.

Advertisement
For $1 million a year we could hire 10-15 guys that text recruits everyday and work on analytics etc. but the difference is Bama’s analytics guys are former head coaches and ours would be GA’s. No team will ever have their infrastructure. Alabama is a literal rehab program for head coaches. Throwing money at things sounds great but if you don’t hire the right people with that money it won’t make much difference.
that's why I said it would be 4-5 mm for infrastructure + 3-4 for staff upgrades. that doesn't get you their infrastructure, but it gets you probably 70% of the benefit of it for 30% of the cost. you'd spend that 4-5 on some real football people, and some tech skill-sets.

that's why I said it would be 4-5 mm for infrastructure + 3-4 for staff upgrades. that doesn't get you their infrastructure, but it gets you probably 70% of the benefit of it for 30% of the cost. you'd spend that 4-5 on some real football people, and some tech skill-sets.
I understand what you’re saying and you are correct to a certain extent but we could spend that much and still not get half out of it that Saban does. It’s Saban. That’s why it works. He’s hiring head coaches for $40k bc they’re on buyouts. Nobody is coming to work for Manny to rehab their career. Until we get a proven winner and respected HC we will never have a chance at a support staff close to that.

Idc about hiring 10 math geniuses. Experienced head coaches working on game plans is what separates their staff from every one else.

Every **** year we have this same stupid *** financial conversation, led by those that apparently can't be bothered to look at basic numbers. Every **** year, we hear "Well, Miami should spend more", with ZERO indication on where that money is supposed to come from(Lord knows it's not going to come from our pathetically cheap fanbase, the small alumni base can't carry the weight on our own). Every **** year, we hear this theory about "If Miami spends it, the money will come back" never mind the fact that throughout the history of the program, that has never been the case. The football program funds the rest of the athletic department, and even though we have a bare bones athletic department, it has to paid for somehow.

Say it with me: If Miami continues to aspire to be Alabama off the field, WE WILL CONTINUE TO GET BLOWN OUT BY THEM ON THE FIELD.

WHY? SIMPLE MATH

Revenue(Numbers provided by the Department of Education)

Alabama(94.6 Million)
Miami(56.0 Million)

That's without considering all the dark money that surrounds the Alabama program. It's extremely easy to surmise that Alabama is outspending Miami by AT LEAST a 2.5-1 margin, if not more.

Miami has to think like an insurgent program. Miami cannot afford to play ball the same way Alabama, Clemson, and Ohio State do. That said, Miami can be competitive, but it requires a unique outlook. You have to identify market inefficiencies and maximize the resources you do have. That's what Howard did, that's what Jimmy did and that's what Butch did. Manny, to his credit did identify a market inefficiency early on with the transfer portal. The transfer portal does give Miami a chance to supplement the talent available. The problem is that Miami has done a poor job of maximizing this market inefficiency. You look at the guys Miami has gotten out of the portal combined with the talent on the roster, you'd think that Miami would be coming off of consecutive 10+ win seasons, but that isn't the case. Why? Because Miami has had glaring gaps on the coaching staff. Miami has to get the most out of the staff, because you don't have legions of analysts to pick up the slack. You have to have guys on the staff that can do something. Miami had 3 defensive assistants last year that didn't do much of anything, but collect a paycheck. You can't afford to have that here, because the margin for error is so incredibly small.

If Manny is going to make it, he has to establish a culture in which guys are free to not only be creative, but are held accountable for each and every single thing under their watch. Miami can't afford to be undisciplined, Miami can't afford to miss opportunities on the recruiting trail nor on the practice field. Miami has to get every single ounce of talent out of the guys on the roster and then find a way to identify and successfully recruit kids that can be developed within the structure of the program. It's a lot difficult to find the Santana Moss types today(They aren't secrets anymore), but it can be done.

To use another sport as a case study, look at the Oakland A's and the Tampa Bay Rays. They are in a league where richest team wins more often than not. However, those two franchises have done a pretty solid job of establishing a culture in which they can maximize what they do have and create a relatively competitive product. Miami must become a program that gets themselves in the hunt, and let the law of averages take over. Miami most likely can't put together a run like Alabama, but this program can and should be a solid 8-11 win per year program that consistently dominates their division and are one win over Clemson away from the CFP. You keep doing that, you're going to get some CFP appearances, you're going to be in the hunt at the end. That's all we can ask for, unless the NCAA gets serious about creating some competitive balance..

When we get comparable assistants and coordinators to the teams u mentioned then I will start worrying about data analytics and all that. Michigan, Tennessee TX, TX A&M before Jimbo have all that in abundance and all they do is mediocre or terrible, barely better than us. We have the biggest advantage, players everywhere within 100 miles. If we try hiring proper coaches at all positions and then we keep losing to Duke and UVA and get smashed by every good or better team then ima say yeah its all that.

We are tying stones around our ankles then complaining that we don't have a floater in the water. Thats what we been doing with our coaching staffs

Advertisement
It’s very possible.

We just needs to switch out fanbases and boosters with Alabama.

Then we’ll have all the money we need from their contributions, just like Alabama does now. Also, our recruiting will magically improve with better boosters that are willing to pay for recruits.

I agree it’s also requires being humble and open minded.

bama has turned into a rehab for defunct coaches. Some of those coaches humble themselves and become analyst. They feed ideas and input to the coordinators. The coordinators have to be opened minded and accept that there are so many more coaches and ideas and data that might contradict what their “gut” told them. But in the end everyone wins.

we have rumors Manny’s boys don’t even want to talk to ED Reed about defense.

I’ve heard Manny loves data so it’d be great to see him push for us at least be in the top 5 in terms our data analytics.

I understand what you’re saying and you are correct to a certain extent but we could spend that much and still not get half out of it that Saban does. It’s Saban. That’s why it works. He’s hiring head coaches for $40k bc they’re on buyouts. Nobody is coming to work for Manny to rehab their career. Until we get a proven winner and respected HC we will never have a chance at a support staff close to that.

Idc about hiring 10 math geniuses. Experienced head coaches working on game plans is what separates their staff from every one else.
we have to accept that we’re building a blueprint to beat most teams. if we’re successful we can worry about alabama. i’m not suggesting the budget to beat alabama.

and i’m not suggesting manny is the leader who can do it. that’s really doubtful.

Advertisement
Bama just won it’s 13th NC. That machine wasn’t created overnight. When Sabag got there, he took advantage of the resources that were already in place. They have a long tradition of winning. Miami tradition’s only started in the early 80’s when Scnelly caught the CFB world by surprise. For a plethora of reasons, Miami didn’t capitalize on that success and got left behind.

Plenty of folks myself included been talking about we lack infrastructure and Alabama’s got it, also Clemson and OSU.

I thought it merits clarification and discussion.

When I say that, I am not talking about locker rooms or weight rooms or practice facilities or stadiums. I am not talking about capex almost at all.

To me, infrastructure is Alabama’s investment in people, processes and systems to support recruiting evaluations, player development, data analytics, quality control and game planning. These areas change the game for their coaches. Combined with the right coaches, culture and talent, the results are impressive.

This type of infrastructure is doable for UM. It’s not cheap and systems cost something but in this cloud world not a lot. Coaches aside, we probably need to spend $4-5 mm more on infrastructure to be serious. A serious staff is probably another 3-4 mm. If we spent that, we should be able to have a top 5 team.
This is excellent. People saw Alabama scooping up good coaches as analysts a few years ago and speculation ran wild. Now that process is bearing fruit.

I agree with what you are saying, Yet were waiting to see if we can even afford quality DC and DL coaches...or do we go cheap and keep flaker and Patsy. Since were private, too bad they can’t make the football team publicly traded like the GB packers? Then we can control team and take the knuckle heads up the food chain out of the equation.

Advertisement
The blueprint is right there. It’s up to each school if they want to follow it or not.
The blueprint isn't there at all.

We can't do what Alabama does - we'd be buried by the NCAA within a week.

We can obviously massively improve on what we're currently doing, but we wouldn't be allowed to play them at their own game when it comes to acquiring talent (which, quite frankly, is still the most important part of coaching in College).

Every **** year we have this same stupid *** financial conversation, led by those that apparently can't be bothered to look at basic numbers. Every **** year, we hear "Well, Miami should spend more", with ZERO indication on where that money is supposed to come from(Lord knows it's not going to come from our pathetically cheap fanbase, the small alumni base can't carry the weight on our own). Every **** year, we hear this theory about "If Miami spends it, the money will come back" never mind the fact that throughout the history of the program, that has never been the case. The football program funds the rest of the athletic department, and even though we have a bare bones athletic department, it has to paid for somehow.

Say it with me: If Miami continues to aspire to be Alabama off the field, WE WILL CONTINUE TO GET BLOWN OUT BY THEM ON THE FIELD.

WHY? SIMPLE MATH

Revenue(Numbers provided by the Department of Education)

Alabama(94.6 Million)
Miami(56.0 Million)

That's without considering all the dark money that surrounds the Alabama program. It's extremely easy to surmise that Alabama is outspending Miami by AT LEAST a 2.5-1 margin, if not more.

Miami has to think like an insurgent program. Miami cannot afford to play ball the same way Alabama, Clemson, and Ohio State do. That said, Miami can be competitive, but it requires a unique outlook. You have to identify market inefficiencies and maximize the resources you do have. That's what Howard did, that's what Jimmy did and that's what Butch did. Manny, to his credit did identify a market inefficiency early on with the transfer portal. The transfer portal does give Miami a chance to supplement the talent available. The problem is that Miami has done a poor job of maximizing this market inefficiency. You look at the guys Miami has gotten out of the portal combined with the talent on the roster, you'd think that Miami would be coming off of consecutive 10+ win seasons, but that isn't the case. Why? Because Miami has had glaring gaps on the coaching staff. Miami has to get the most out of the staff, because you don't have legions of analysts to pick up the slack. You have to have guys on the staff that can do something. Miami had 3 defensive assistants last year that didn't do much of anything, but collect a paycheck. You can't afford to have that here, because the margin for error is so incredibly small.

If Manny is going to make it, he has to establish a culture in which guys are free to not only be creative, but are held accountable for each and every single thing under their watch. Miami can't afford to be undisciplined, Miami can't afford to miss opportunities on the recruiting trail nor on the practice field. Miami has to get every single ounce of talent out of the guys on the roster and then find a way to identify and successfully recruit kids that can be developed within the structure of the program. It's a lot difficult to find the Santana Moss types today(They aren't secrets anymore), but it can be done.

To use another sport as a case study, look at the Oakland A's and the Tampa Bay Rays. They are in a league where richest team wins more often than not. However, those two franchises have done a pretty solid job of establishing a culture in which they can maximize what they do have and create a relatively competitive product. Miami must become a program that gets themselves in the hunt, and let the law of averages take over. Miami most likely can't put together a run like Alabama, but this program can and should be a solid 8-11 win per year program that consistently dominates their division and are one win over Clemson away from the CFP. You keep doing that, you're going to get some CFP appearances, you're going to be in the hunt at the end. That's all we can ask for, unless the NCAA gets serious about creating some competitive balance..
i couldn’t disagree more with this. every year we get this - some long distracted monologue about why it’s all pointless, or how we’re supposed to ‘do it differently.’

it’s football. same field, same rules. we have to get better at football. right kids, developed properly, right coaches and culture. and support to win games.

comparing our revenue to alabama’s today to suggest we shouldn’t invest is pointless. the question for UM is what UM would get from some incremental investment. it shouldn’t matter to anyone whether alabama spends more. can we get a return. how measured? both success and money. if this program is top 10, it will generate more money. that’s a financial return. it will also win more important games and help the U in other ways (reputation, donations).

the problem in too many places is they draw the wrong inferences from what you write above. alabama spends so much we have to be different? then we go lose to FIU and LA tech and get humiliated by UNC. trying to build a team to compete with alabama is the wrong goal. we need to build a team that can win the acc regularly. and we can learn from alabama to do so.

we have to be good at football. we’re not. i’m sketching out some of what is required. the purpose is to get better so we can beat the teams we should and be competitive with most teams. saban will be retired before miami gets good enough to worry about alabama

head coach required for culture and staff. and then recruiting, evals, development and game planning.

infrastructure can make recruiting, evals, development and game planning sing. and help coaches spend their time on highest and best use.l

I love it when people think we're flush with cash, like we're just sitting on a mountain of it.

We will never compete with the elites of the world or even our instate rivals financially. So you've gotta figure out a way to do better with the resources we do have.

In today's world of college football, that isn't outspending the others. We hire 10 whatever they'll hire 50. We basically need to improve what we do have, do it incrementally, and find the right guys to recruit and then lead this team.

Right now, we barely run positive. I would imagine we didn't this year with this virus cutting into profits and empty stadiums. The idea that we'll just fork out 5 or 10 mil extra a year right now or anytime soon is ludicrous. You can work towards that, but it'll take years.

Plenty of folks myself included been talking about we lack infrastructure and Alabama’s got it, also Clemson and OSU.

I thought it merits clarification and discussion.

When I say that, I am not talking about locker rooms or weight rooms or practice facilities or stadiums. I am not talking about capex almost at all.

To me, infrastructure is Alabama’s investment in people, processes and systems to support recruiting evaluations, player development, data analytics, quality control and game planning. These areas change the game for their coaches. Combined with the right coaches, culture and talent, the results are impressive.

This type of infrastructure is doable for UM. It’s not cheap and systems cost something but in this cloud world not a lot. Coaches aside, we probably need to spend $4-5 mm more on infrastructure to be serious. A serious staff is probably another 3-4 mm. If we spent that, we should be able to have a top 5 team.

they have NFL coaches as analyst in staff basically. **** is beyond anything miami will ever do. What fired top coach is going to come be an analyst for Diaz hahahaha.

Bama just hired an NFL head coach to come be a ******* OC. The game is rigged. They had Harris, ****erson, Smith, Leatherwood all 1st rd talents come back this year instead of going to the NFL last year. We have guys leave for the 7th rd.

those kids are kings of the town and are treated so well that they come back to win championships. It’s cult like down there. Until Saban retires, Nobody is catching them.

they have the best college coach of all time along with the top facilities and booster that will give him whatever he needs to win. We need Saban to retire.

Advertisement
Back