A word on infrastructure

lol. what ‘analyzing’ are you doing? the history you refer to is a history of failure. bad ADs, bad hiring processes, bad institutional oversight. it sucks and should change, and there’s nothing deep or analytical about observing that it probably won’t.

Ok sure.

Nobody came close to discussing the history of AD hires over the last 10-15 years but this one poster.

This history clearly informs the current situation and anybody that wants to take an insightful and perceptive look in analyzing the dynamics currently at the university.

To resolve a problem, it must first be understood.

Anybody that denigrates a poster who shed some light by discussing that history, and in doing so the possible mindsets of the decision-makers involved, is not looking to have a legitimate discussion about possible solutions. Maybe some people like to throw out catch-phrases and platitudes rather than looking realistically at a situation.

Advertisement
i think it’s a great observation. the reason we’re doing this is gaping roster holes from bad and lazy recruiting, bad roster management and a culture where too many kids leave early. so i understand the need and can’t even disagree with using the portal as part of the solution - i just agree with you that it’s a stop-gap and the actual issues need to be addressed.

Correct; this trend cannot continue. It’s no different than slapping duck tape on a leaky pipe; eventually the pipe needs to be fixed. Our continued reliance & our comfort level with it, cannot continue. When I heard Diaz openly say that if we miss out on CBs for the class of ‘21, he’s sure they’ll be some available players in the portal (paraphrasing), I cringed.

Ok sure.

Nobody came close to discussing the history of AD hires over the last 10-15 years but this one poster.

This history clearly informs the current situation and anybody that wants to take an insightful and perceptive look in analyzing the dynamics currently at the university.

To resolve a problem, it must first be understood.

Anybody that denigrates a poster who shed some light by discussing that history, and in doing so the possible mindsets of the decision-makers involved, is not looking to have a legitimate discussion about possible solutions. Maybe some people like to throw out catch-phrases and platitudes rather than looking realistically at a situation.
The thrust of the post you responded to was that we got Blake James because the few BOT members who cared about athletics essentially gave up trying after their disastrous support for the hire of Eichorst.

That may well be true. I certainly didn’t disagree with it. The question is why you then respond with ‘Some people just don’t get , or aren’t good at analyzing, what’s going on.’. That’s the comment that I lolled at. You have a habit of attacking unnamed people who don’t know as much as you claim to. In this case you allege others can’t analyze what is going on but provided no analysis yourself of the topic.

So what is going on that people don’t understand? Because the post you liked basically made clear what everyone has said, which is that the majority of the BOT doesn’t give a ****, a few members do, and they have **** the bed on the past two AD hires.

Correct; this trend cannot continue. It’s no different than slapping duck tape on a leaky pipe; eventually the pipe needs to be fixed. Our continued reliance & our comfort level with it, cannot continue. When I heard Diaz openly say that if we miss out on CBs for the class of ‘21, he’s sure they’ll be some available players in the portal (paraphrasing), I cringed.
it’s so manny. he’s car rich house poor.

roflmao

QP appears to be a grad student or failed grad student in law school. Who says stuff like this? It sounds like something the longhaired dork said in Good Will Hunting right before Matt Damon went off on him.

Advertisement
Plenty of folks myself included been talking about we lack infrastructure and Alabama’s got it, also Clemson and OSU.

I thought it merits clarification and discussion.

When I say that, I am not talking about locker rooms or weight rooms or practice facilities or stadiums. I am not talking about capex almost at all.

To me, infrastructure is Alabama’s investment in people, processes and systems to support recruiting evaluations, player development, data analytics, quality control and game planning. These areas change the game for their coaches. Combined with the right coaches, culture and talent, the results are impressive.

This type of infrastructure is doable for UM. It’s not cheap and systems cost something but in this cloud world not a lot. Coaches aside, we probably need to spend $4-5 mm more on infrastructure to be serious. A serious staff is probably another 3-4 mm. If we spent that, we should be able to have a top 5 team.
I'd work in Um's recruiting department for 20k and a meal plan

This. People were dismissing North Carolina when they hired Mac Brown. Look at what he's doing since he arrived there. We can't keep hiring guys who keep hiring the projects.

What exactly is he doing there?

Losing to one of the worst FSU teams in their history?

Advertisement
Why do people keep saying isht like this?

What is a ‘Golden type hire’?

Golden was awful. The only thing I can figure out is people liked how he looked. His background was overrated, his approach was a fail, he’s not a leader. If he were a real HC he’d have found an opportunity already. He isn’t.

I was talking about the train of thought with the idea.

That’s why I emphasized RIGHT PHILOSOPHY.

Many people judge coaches strictly by wins and losses. Jimmy is always brought up as a guy who succeeded here when his win/loss record wasn’t exactly stellar.

Neither was Golden. But they took a shot at him for doing solid work for a terrible program, even though he wasn’t going undefeated every year. Now the DETAILS of Golden’s time at Temple showed he would be a TERRIBLE HIRE FOR US, but the big picture idea was something that could be built on.

I think Golden could have had more success in the Big 10 or some mid level midwestern school in another conference. His philosophy was awful for the Miami Hurricanes.

Likewise, I think there are guys out there that are not tearing it up in the win loss column that could win a lot of games at Miami because of traits and philosophy fitting our recruiting base. **** a failed nfl coach with the right personality would be beastly, a la Pete Carrol.

We have to do a better job of matching our identity to candidates who have the correct traits. Our coaching searches have shown we are way off base.

Been saying it for many years now. It all starts with the administration and their commitment to the program. If the commitment is half a** then you can make a run but you can't maintain. I truly believe (almost know) that we have the cash flow to compete with these big time programs. However, administrative priorities and the limited allocation of funds have been hindering us for the last X amount of years.
think back in the 80's with Sam running the show, that was a real AD, who had a shoe string budget to work with : but the guy knew his football :

Advertisement
I was talking about the train of thought with the idea.

That’s why I emphasized RIGHT PHILOSOPHY.

Many people judge coaches strictly by wins and losses. Jimmy is always brought up as a guy who succeeded here when his win/loss record wasn’t exactly stellar.

Neither was Golden. But they took a shot at him for doing solid work for a terrible program, even though he wasn’t going undefeated every year. Now the DETAILS of Golden’s time at Temple showed he would be a TERRIBLE HIRE FOR US, but the big picture idea was something that could be built on.

I think Golden could have had more success in the Big 10 or some mid level midwestern school in another conference. His philosophy was awful for the Miami Hurricanes.

Likewise, I think there are guys out there that are not tearing it up in the win loss column that could win a lot of games at Miami because of traits and philosophy fitting our recruiting base. **** a failed nfl coach with the right personality would be beastly, a la Pete Carrol.

We have to do a better job of matching our identity to candidates who have the correct traits. Our coaching searches have shown we are way off base.
that is why we need to have folks in decision making roles to have an idea of the complete football picture. For the life of me I don't understand how AD's immediately go out an hired consulting groups on a coaching search. Don't you understand the history of your program, and what makes it go:

No offense, but you sound clueless. First you dismiss the person you’re talking to without knowing anything that justifies your contention, then you regurgitate blah blah generalities that are inapplicable to the situation you’re trying to defend. you’re just wrong on the golden hire, which makes your comment ridiculous. you also sound like you learned what you think you know about hiring from a cheerios box.

Golden was a terrible hire not because he failed. he failed because he was a terrible hire for reasons that a good assessment would have brought out. his allegedly strong record at temple was a sham that resulted from changing leagues. his scheme was a TERRIBLE fit for Miami given its local recruiting grounds and history. His attachment to his buddy as DC was a red flag any competent hiring process should have illuminated. There are also almost certainly some other red flags that a decent assessment would have illuminated, but I suspect UM didn’t do one.

The problem with golden’s hire is that the UM AD didn’t know what it needed in a HC, so it had no idea what qualities would rule him in or out. He was a feel good hire because the ‘narrative’ was what you describe, but it was lazy and untrue. There are posters on this board who said all this right when he was hired, so this isn’t just some hindsight is 20/20 comment.

A lot of folks here like to claim they know so much about hiring and others don’t. But none of them ever seem to say anything interesting about hiring. Hiring is hard enough when you assess it all properly. It’s really likely to fail when you don’t know what you need, don’t know what you’re looking for in a person, and have a useless process to assess.
End thread
Too much savage common sense in this post for some to grasp. They will argue argue and for the sake of not wanting to admit defeat. Same with head coaching they sink with that ship till the end

Advertisement
Back