A simple problem, and a simple solution

Advertisement
This class is a disaster. It hurts to say, because we have some excellent people in the personnel department and on staff. But there is no denying it. This is an embarrassing failure.

I went back and looked at similar classes. In 2015, we finished 27th. In 2016, we finished 22nd. Those were bad signing days. This one will probably end up in that range. There was a lot of dead weight in those classes. But we also signed Jaquan Johnson, Shaq Quarterman, Joe Jackson, Sheldrick Redwine, RJ McIntosh, Gerald Willis, Kendrick Norton, Michael Jackson, Mike Pinckney, Romeo Finely, Pat Bethel and Zach McCloud.

In other words, we signed a championship-caliber defense over two bad cycles. How did that happen?

The first takeaway is that Miami will always get good players. Even our crap classes have talent. But the real reason is even simpler: we replaced the problem (D’Onofrio) with the solution (Diaz). D’Onofrio's defense was the problem. We hired Diaz, and he unlocked a championship unit.

Which brings me to today. Once again, we have a clear problem. We have the 4th most efficient defense and the 79th most efficient offense. The results on the field are reflected in the class. Our quarterbacks sucked. We couldn’t sign a quarterback. Our offensive line sucked. We couldn’t sign any offensive linemen. Our offense sucked. We only signed one 4* on offense.

People are talking about changing Miami's recruiting strategy. That's nonsense. We need to fix the real problem. Only Coach Richt can do that. Unless, of course, he's the problem.

When Barry Jackson asked him about changes after today's practice, Richt said "we plan on getting better with what we already do." That's a shame. I don't want Richt to ruin his legacy, and I don't want to waste another couple years. But that's where we are headed. And it might be Manny Diaz coming back once again to solve the problem.
His legacy will be ruined by the end of 2019

Mario has never had a problem recruiting.Thats why he’s always been so valuable to coaches like Saban.Mario is locked in down in the area.Guy would kill it and he looks to have learned that the coaches around him are as important as the HC.

Making 2.5 Mill.

I agree with you on all points and we also need to start getting back into the bag game and if we dropping bags they need to get heavier.
THIS! and don't tell me the UM network doesn't have money when a single donor just dropped $10mil on the IPF...It's Bags or Bust at this point, it's just how the game is played.

No...it's nonsense that you don't see we need a change in strategy. It's time to let that dade county crap go.

It's filled with front runners and posers. Let's go get them country boys who love football

Dade County people are only loyal to the bag and the status of football...that's it. The economy down there has made it like that...the culture has made it like that...the people have made it like that.

Of course it doesn't help that we continue to sign the worst HC and assistants ever but that's another story.

Dan Mullen said he didn't need to make south Florida a requirement....he learned that from Urban.

There are still some kids down there that we can build a program around but they’re few and far in between these days. I think Georgia is a good pipeline to setup, I like the mentality of those kids and there are way better linemen to be found there as well. However, I want every Jaquan Johnson, Duke Johnson etc. that South Florida has to offer but we need to cut ties with the future Jobe’s, Brownlee’s etc. u can’t win with those kind of guys..

Advertisement
I think the recruiting philosophy is in fact a big issue. The staff does not keep in contact with recruits as plan B’s and C’s. They are reactive, not proactive.

Had they simply just stayed in contact, we could possibly have DJ Williams, John Dixon, Maurice Smith, James Gordon, and be in more serious contention for Elam. I think we’d all be thrilled to have those guys right now.

It doesn’t require all-world recruiters to do that. All it takes is effort and not to be stubborn. But we can’t be that apparently.

Just was a bad hire. I said before he got the job i thought he was washed. The dude didn't even know if he wanted to keep coaching or retire after uga. You cant bring in a guy that had his toes out the door.
There was nothing to indicate he would be THIS bad . I think most of us knew he was a 9-10 win coach . Anyone who says they say things going this bad is just lying

Advertisement
This class is a disaster. It hurts to say, because we have some excellent people in the personnel department and on staff. But there is no denying it. This is an embarrassing failure.

I went back and looked at similar classes. In 2015, we finished 27th. In 2016, we finished 22nd. Those were bad signing days. This one will probably end up in that range. There was a lot of dead weight in those classes. But we also signed Jaquan Johnson, Shaq Quarterman, Joe Jackson, Sheldrick Redwine, RJ McIntosh, Gerald Willis, Kendrick Norton, Michael Jackson, Mike Pinckney, Romeo Finely, Pat Bethel and Zach McCloud.

In other words, we signed a championship-caliber defense over two bad cycles. How did that happen?

The first takeaway is that Miami will always get good players. Even our crap classes have talent. But the real reason is even simpler: we replaced the problem (D’Onofrio) with the solution (Diaz). D’Onofrio's defense was the problem. We hired Diaz, and he unlocked a championship unit.

Which brings me to today. Once again, we have a clear problem. We have the 4th most efficient defense and the 79th most efficient offense. The results on the field are reflected in the class. Our quarterbacks sucked. We couldn’t sign a quarterback. Our offensive line sucked. We couldn’t sign any offensive linemen. Our offense sucked. We only signed one 4* on offense.

People are talking about changing Miami's recruiting strategy. That's nonsense. We need to fix the real problem. Only Coach Richt can do that. Unless, of course, he's the problem.

When Barry Jackson asked him about changes after today's practice, Richt said "we plan on getting better with what we already do." That's a shame. I don't want Richt to ruin his legacy, and I don't want to waste another couple years. But that's where we are headed. And it might be Manny Diaz coming back once again to solve the problem.

Its not a simple fix when you cant recruit sofla....

The game has passed Richt by, he is like boobah bowden circa 2006, even has an unqualified family member on staff...

Miami will not be a consistently good team under Richt, guy has lost touch and is just as stubborn as golden was about his shortcomings...

UM should go back to hiring young up and coming coaches, that would require a competent AD though...

He might win 9 or 10 games 2 out of every 5 years or so, $4 million should buy more....

SMH, FML...

There can be 100,000 posts on here trashing or supporting Richt on here by August, with solutions to the problems offered in each one.

But at the end of it all it will come down to a couple of sentences.

Richt is going to ride or die with his guys. If he fails, he'll likely be fired. If he succeeds he'll continue to do it his way.

He’s already failed and continues to fail with no hint of any changes to correct the situation

Nothing positive at this time complete sht show we are

Advertisement
THIS! and don't tell me the UM network doesn't have money when a single donor just dropped $10mil on the IPF...It's Bags or Bust at this point, it's just how the game is played.

I’m not saying it’s right but it’s the only way to compete with the big boys.

Well, it doesn’t look like we will get a whole lot of kids from south Florida this recruiting cycle.
Keontra Smith, Sam Brooks, Avery Huff, Jason Munoz, and Te'Cory Couch are all defenders from South Florida and are signed. Every guy I just names has the potential to be a starter at Miami and 4 of them can get serious playing time next year.

Advertisement
He’s already failed and continues to fail with no hint of any changes to correct the situation

Nothing positive at this time complete sht show we are

Only 99,999 more of these to go.

I’m not saying it’s right but it’s the only way to compete with the big boys.
Don't have to convince me, bro...I am fully onboard. It's the way of the sport now. It's not immoral in my mind if a person gets compensated for their talents...****, I get compensated for my talents. They are not breaking a law so, more power to them. If one person wants to gift their hard earned money to another, who am I to tell them it's wrong. And for those that cry "it's a competitive disadvantage", well, so is all the "legal" cash in endorsements Bama and schools like them are bringing in to the athletic department compared to a lowly Temple program for example. Drop the bags and lets roll.

Don't have to convince me, bro...I am fully onboard. It's the way of the sport now. It's not immoral in my mind if a person gets compensated for their talents...****, I get compensated for my talents. They are not breaking a law so, more power to them. If one person wants to gift their hard earned money to another, who am I to tell them it's wrong. And for those that cry "it's a competitive disadvantage", well, so is all the "legal" cash in endorsements Bama and schools like them are bringing in to the athletic department compared to a lowly Temple program for example. Drop the bags and lets roll.

Look, UM is NOT going to condone "bags" and they are NOT going to organize a "Foundation".

Recruit the best crop of talent that does NOT require bags. 99% of the Board realized that NONE of these guys would sign here in the end. Diaz undoubtedly produced a top-5 defense without bags.

This is the most fertile recruiting area in the country. With a modern offense, we win at least 10 games this year and maybe even 11..... Am dumbfounded as to why Richt refuses to play to his strengths!

There was nothing to indicate he would be THIS bad . I think most of us knew he was a 9-10 win coach . Anyone who says they say things going this bad is just lying
Of course nobody saw it being as bad as this but i knew he didnt have it but tried to be positive and hope for the best. Things uga fans was saying that was happening with richt in his later years there is going on now.

Advertisement
Back