A simple problem, and a simple solution

DMoney

D-Moni
Administrator
This class is a disaster. It hurts to say, because we have some excellent people in the personnel department and on staff. But there is no denying it. This is an embarrassing failure.

I went back and looked at similar classes. In 2015, we finished 27th. In 2016, we finished 22nd. Those were bad signing days. This one will probably end up in that range. There was a lot of dead weight in those classes. But we also signed Jaquan Johnson, Shaq Quarterman, Joe Jackson, Sheldrick Redwine, RJ McIntosh, Gerald Willis, Kendrick Norton, Michael Jackson, Mike Pinckney, Romeo Finely, Pat Bethel and Zach McCloud.

In other words, we signed a championship-caliber defense over two bad cycles. How did that happen?

The first takeaway is that Miami will always get good players. Even our crap classes have talent. But the real reason is even simpler: we replaced the problem (D’Onofrio) with the solution (Diaz). D’Onofrio's defense was the problem. We hired Diaz, and he unlocked a championship unit.

Which brings me to today. Once again, we have a clear problem. We have the 4th most efficient defense and the 79th most efficient offense. The results on the field are reflected in the class. Our quarterbacks sucked. We couldn’t sign a quarterback. Our offensive line sucked. We couldn’t sign any offensive linemen. Our offense sucked. We only signed one 4* on offense.

People are talking about changing Miami's recruiting strategy. That's nonsense. We need to fix the real problem. Only Coach Richt can do that. Unless, of course, he's the problem.

When Barry Jackson asked him about changes after today's practice, Richt said "we plan on getting better with what we already do." That's a shame. I don't want Richt to ruin his legacy, and I don't want to waste another couple years. But that's where we are headed. And it might be Manny Diaz coming back once again to solve the problem.

Advertisement
So whats the solution....waiting? For maybe Diaz and the overrated defense? Defense is good enough to win Coastal but if we played Clemson or any team with a pulse on offensive, the D would get lit up. Not their fault but they played against crap competition so the numbers look good. And yes if the O(which is the main problem) played better we would have won more games and had better recruiting cycle.

Advertisement
This class is a disaster. It hurts to say, because we have some excellent people in the personnel department and on staff. But there is no denying it. This is an embarrassing failure.

I went back and looked at similar classes. In 2016, we finished 27th. In 2015, we finished 22nd. Those were bad signing days. This one will probably end up in that range. There was a lot of dead weight in those classes. But we also signed Jaquan Johnson, Shaq Quarterman, Joe Jackson, Sheldrick Redwine, RJ McIntosh, Gerald Willis, Kendrick Norton, Michael Jackson, Mike Pinckney, Romeo Finely, Pat Bethel and Zach McCloud.

In other words, we signed a championship-caliber defense over two bad cycles. How did that happen?

The first takeaway is that Miami will always get good players. Even our crap classes have talent. But the real reason is even simpler: we replaced the problem (D’Onofrio) with the solution (Diaz). D’Onofrio's defense was the problem. We hired Diaz, and he unlocked a championship unit.

Which brings me to today. Once again, we have a clear problem. We have the 4th most efficient defense and the 79th most efficient offense. The results on the field are reflected in the class. Our quarterbacks sucked. We couldn’t sign a quarterback. Our offensive line sucked. We couldn’t sign any offensive linemen. Our offense sucked. We only signed one 4* on offense.

People are talking about changing Miami's recruiting strategy. That's nonsense. We need to fix the real problem. Only Coach Richt can do that. Unless, of course, he's the problem.

When Barry Jackson asked him about changes after today's practice, Richt said "we plan on getting better with what we already do." That's a shame. I don't want Richt to ruin his legacy, and I don't want to waste another couple years. But that's where we are headed. And it might be Manny Diaz coming back once again to solve the problem.

Mork has the same same disease as Alf....”insanity “.

He’s not changing , just sit back and watch the car crash.

Last edited:
why is everyone so hyped on Manny being HC? Manny didn't exactly light the world on fire with his recruiting while he was here.
Did you not read the post? The point is we will get talent down here no matter how bad the class is. The point is a good coach can turn any South Florida talent into a championship caliber unit.

Sorry, D. But Richt's legacy is ruined at this point. There's no hype that can be brought going into the 2019 season also btw. We all know what Richt is, and if we see it, so can the team.

Last edited:
Advertisement

I went back and looked at similar classes. In 2016, we finished 27th. In 2015, we finished 22nd. Those were bad signing days. This one will probably end up in that range. There was a lot of dead weight in those classes. But we also signed Jaquan Johnson, Shaq Quarterman, Joe Jackson, Sheldrick Redwine, RJ McIntosh, Gerald Willis, Kendrick Norton, Michael Jackson, Mike Pinckney, Romeo Finely, Pat Bethel and Zach McCloud.

HE DOESNT CARE!!! Thats what no one gets. once that dude was crying on the sideline at BC you knew it was over.

Advertisement
There can be 100,000 posts on here trashing or supporting Richt on here by August, with solutions to the problems offered in each one.

But at the end of it all it will come down to a couple of sentences.

Richt is going to ride or die with his guys. If he fails, he'll likely be fired. If he succeeds he'll continue to do it his way.

why is everyone so hyped on Manny being HC? Manny didn't exactly light the world on fire with his recruiting while he was here.

He doesn't need to be. He needs to make sure he assembles enough aces on his staff, starting with the most important positions (OC, DC, QB, DL, and OL) and put the best 22 players on the field who have the best chance at executing the gameplan and being superstars in playing their role on the field.

That goes for any coach, not just Manny. Elite coaches like Saban and Urban are loyal to the results first before the players. It's cutthroat, but its shrewd and it works.

Last edited:
Advertisement
So whats the solution....waiting? For maybe Diaz and the overrated defense? Defense is good enough to win Coastal but if we played Clemson or any team with a pulse on offensive, the D would get lit up. Not their fault but they played against crap competition so the numbers look good. And yes if the O(which is the main problem) played better we would have won more games and had better recruiting cycle.
That's funny because I could swear our defense didn't get taken to the woodshed against LSU like Georgia's did.

Boom. Yup. And this is the Pollyanna view, no offense to @DMoney. But he is an insider with friends and relationships in the program that are meaningful to him both personally and professionally.

Unless something or someone can get Richt to take a long hard look at himself and his situation, more time is completely pointless. In fact, more time will only further the damage he causes.

Bottom line, just as DMoney says, even our worst recruiting classes in history, we stumble in to serious talent, being who and where and what we are as a program. Recruiting has not been our problem and is not something we need to focus on either now or in our next head coaching hire. Of course players matter, but players follow good coaches, not the other way around.

This program simply needs energetic coaches that can teach the X's and O's, along with sound fundamentals, of tackling, blocking, route running, and catching. Coaches that will work hard and bring dynamic, improvisational, fast and aggressive schemes and philosophies to both sides of the ball. Win on the field, and the talent will start to come here that will allow us to win big.

We were there at the end of 2017. We had done enough to show that we could compete and we all saw the results with last year's recruiting class. Unfortunately, Richt was apparently satisfied with what was achieved and had no fire to take it to the next level. As a result, we squandered everything he had built, and more.

When the foundation is rotten, there is no choice but to scrape it and start from scratch.

Last edited:
I agree with you on all points and we also need to start getting back into the bag game and if we dropping bags they need to get heavier.

Advertisement
Back