A simple problem, and a simple solution

Advertisement
You have the numbers switched: we finished 27th in ‘15 and 22nd in ‘16

Anyone who thinks we do not need to recruit 954/305/561 and the state of Florida isn’t paying attention. I agree with most of your post but I don’t see a light at the end of the tunnel.

A couple of the guys you mentioned wouldn’t start on any of the teams that finished in the top 6 and a couple of the guys, with overlap, are no better than the players we’ve had here since the losing started in 2004. We had a great defense but the only real threat we played was LSU at the beginning of the season. None of our other opponents are ranked.

The 2015 class was a disaster the whole cycle. However, the 2016 class was a completely different story because of the transition and low numbers. The average grade per recruit was 2 points higher than ‘15. I thought the 2016 class was good but small. I remember a generally positive vibe on the boards.

MJ, McIntosh, Norton, and Redwine severely outplayed their recruiting rankings. We developed them well. That 2015 class has a staggering amount of dead weight.

We built a championship defense because of Diaz’s leadership on that side of the ball so I am not optimistic in putting this class in the same boat because we have no leadership on offense.

I think a bigger problem is our class is currently 7th in the ACC (37th overall) while both the 2015 & 2016 finished 3rd in the ACC. We are being passed by other programs in the race to become Clemson’s challenger.

Even with all the Haselwood noise, his decision is not a big deal in the grand scheme of things.

We failed to address our problems at Oline, QB and LB (to a lesser extent). So the progress we made with the 2017 & 2018 class becomes moot. Especially with the lack of changes in our coaching staff. It doesn’t help when 3 of our top ten recruits left within a 12 month period as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
why is everyone so hyped on Manny being HC? Manny didn't exactly light the world on fire with his recruiting while he was here.
He at least know what to do with that talent and he could have kept selling good coaching and chance at the league than purely selling playing time and being able to keep it cool

Advertisement
I don't want to waste another couple years. But that's where we are headed.
This is why I almost hope Jarren does transfer. With this record, and this recruiting class, and IF players start bailing, admin will be forced to do something. He will have failed at every aspect of his job. In that case, I don't think Richt gets a "couple" years. Its one and done.

Last edited:
BC says hi. Toledo too....LSU scored 33 and put in the backups in the 3rd quarter
You didn't read the word "defense" they didn't throw a pic six or allow a special teams TD. Not going to argue, but to say our defense this year wasn't in the upper echelon this year is just wrong. The #1 defense had 62 points hung on them, would you rather that happen?

Advertisement
This class is a disaster. It hurts to say, because we have some excellent people in the personnel department and on staff. But there is no denying it. This is an embarrassing failure.

EXCELLENT people, just not enough of them. The sec teams of the world have us outnumber 10-1 easily.

I went back and looked at similar classes. In 2015, we finished 27th. In 2016, we finished 22nd. Those were bad signing days. This one will probably end up in that range. There was a lot of dead weight in those classes. But we also signed Jaquan Johnson, Shaq Quarterman, Joe Jackson, Sheldrick Redwine, RJ McIntosh, Gerald Willis, Kendrick Norton, Michael Jackson, Mike Pinckney, Romeo Finely, Pat Bethel and Zach McCloud.

In other words, we signed a championship-caliber defense over two bad cycles. How did that happen?

The first takeaway is that Miami will always get good players. Even our crap classes have talent. But the real reason is even simpler: we replaced the problem (D’Onofrio) with the solution (Diaz). D’Onofrio's defense was the problem. We hired Diaz, and he unlocked a championship unit.

Which brings me to today. Once again, we have a clear problem. We have the 4th most efficient defense and the 79th most efficient offense. The results on the field are reflected in the class. Our quarterbacks sucked. We couldn’t sign a quarterback. Our offensive line sucked. We couldn’t sign any offensive linemen. Our offense sucked. We only signed one 4* on offense.

People are talking about changing Miami's recruiting strategy. That's nonsense. We need to fix the real problem. Only Coach Richt can do that. Unless, of course, he's the problem.

When Barry Jackson asked him about changes after today's practice, Richt said "we plan on getting better with what we already do." That's a shame. I don't want Richt to ruin his legacy, and I don't want to waste another couple years. But that's where we are headed. And it might be Manny Diaz coming back once again to solve the problem.

EXCELLENT people, just not enough of them. The sec teams of the world have us outnumber 10-1 easily.
Your right. How can you fix a problem if you believe you don’t have one? I have never been more disappointed in Miami football.

Advertisement
You didn't read the word "defense" they didn't throw a pic six or allow a special teams TD. Not going to argue, but to say our defense this year wasn't in the upper echelon this year is just wrong. The #1 defense had 62 points hung on them, would you rather that happen?

I would rather have their Defense, offense, STs and coaches. Yes our defense was in the upper echelon cause we play in the worst ******* conference division in CFB. Offenses suck in the ACC that we played. I think the D was better last year as far as overall talent.

This class is a disaster. It hurts to say, because we have some excellent people in the personnel department and on staff. But there is no denying it. This is an embarrassing failure.

I went back and looked at similar classes. In 2015, we finished 27th. In 2016, we finished 22nd. Those were bad signing days. This one will probably end up in that range. There was a lot of dead weight in those classes. But we also signed Jaquan Johnson, Shaq Quarterman, Joe Jackson, Sheldrick Redwine, RJ McIntosh, Gerald Willis, Kendrick Norton, Michael Jackson, Mike Pinckney, Romeo Finely, Pat Bethel and Zach McCloud.

In other words, we signed a championship-caliber defense over two bad cycles. How did that happen?

The first takeaway is that Miami will always get good players. Even our crap classes have talent. But the real reason is even simpler: we replaced the problem (D’Onofrio) with the solution (Diaz). D’Onofrio's defense was the problem. We hired Diaz, and he unlocked a championship unit.

Which brings me to today. Once again, we have a clear problem. We have the 4th most efficient defense and the 79th most efficient offense. The results on the field are reflected in the class. Our quarterbacks sucked. We couldn’t sign a quarterback. Our offensive line sucked. We couldn’t sign any offensive linemen. Our offense sucked. We only signed one 4* on offense.

People are talking about changing Miami's recruiting strategy. That's nonsense. We need to fix the real problem. Only Coach Richt can do that. Unless, of course, he's the problem.

When Barry Jackson asked him about changes after today's practice, Richt said "we plan on getting better with what we already do." That's a shame. I don't want Richt to ruin his legacy, and I don't want to waste another couple years. But that's where we are headed. And it might be Manny Diaz coming back once again to solve the problem.

UNLESS he’s the problem?Theres no doubt in anyone’s mind he’s the problem.Him and that joke of an AD we have sitting and watching as Richt destroys the program.

Richt is a stubborn old fart whose time and his systems have long since become antiquated.The guys a joke.

With Williams bolting we now have no decent QBs cause Perry just plain sucks and Weldon would rather smoke dope than go to class and come to practice.But you think we’d go after a top QB?NOPE!!! Not Mork.

We have an outdated and antiquated offensive scheme.You think Mork would go find an OC with half a brain as to how offenses are run nowadays? NOPE!! Not Mork. Him and his 5 play offense ( and GOD knows it’s definitely offensive) are good enough in his mind.

UNLESS ???? There’s no unless about it.This over the hill washed up Coach IS the problem.Theres no UNLESS about it.

Advertisement
People are talking about changing Miami's recruiting strategy. That's nonsense.

No...it's nonsense that you don't see we need a change in strategy. It's time to let that dade county crap go.

It's filled with front runners and posers. Let's go get them country boys who love football

Dade County people are only loyal to the bag and the status of football...that's it. The economy down there has made it like that...the culture has made it like that...the people have made it like that.

Of course it doesn't help that we continue to sign the worst HC and assistants ever but that's another story.

Dan Mullen said he didn't need to make south Florida a requirement....he learned that from Urban.

UNLESS he’s the problem?Theres no doubt in anyone’s mind he’s the problem.Him and that joke of an AD we have sitting and watching as Richt destroys the program.

Richt is a stubborn old fart whose time and his systems have long since become antiquated.The guys a joke.

With Williams bolting we now have no decent QBs cause Perry just plain sucks and Weldon would rather smoke dope than go to class and come to practice.But you think we’d go after a top QB?NOPE!!! Not Mork.

We have an outdated and antiquated offensive scheme.You think Mork would go find an OC with half a brain as to how offenses are run nowadays? NOPE!! Not Mork. Him and his 5 play offense ( and GOD knows it’s definitely offensive) are good enough in his mind.

UNLESS ???? There’s no unless about it.This over the hill washed up Coach IS the problem.Theres no UNLESS about it.
Talk about totally misunderstanding his point

What I don’t get is how is this happening? What exactly is causing all these guys to go elsewhere? Did Richt all of a sudden forget how to recruit because that was never a problem at Athens. If Haselwood is really using us as a smokescreen, how does this staff get hoodwinked by a 17 year old? The thought of that kid doing that, if true, ****es me off to no end. Not that I want some stupid teenager to fail, but because the program is too fvking important to be disrespected that way.
I get that Richt has a tough time with the playcalling, but Taggart’s outfit was way worse. How are they still recruiting at an elite level?
Too many questions. I’d like coherent answers, not the “Mork sucks” kind. I love the program too much to see it sink and disappear. Let me put it this way, I’d much rather see Richt win a title than have us reach Willie Taggart / Jim McElwain status.

Advertisement
Back