A simple problem, and a simple solution

Advertisement
Tee, what are your thoughts man? I still think there will be good local kids every year that we can sign. I think we should have offered Nayquan Wright. I think we should have offered Boateng. We should have been on the Smith kid earlier imo. If we are going to reach on a kid like Nelson, then I think that kid needs to be a local reach. I understand isht is shady down bottom, but it just seems like this current staff could be doing better in spite of the bs.

i agree with you. It’s going to be **** near impossible to get what I want so I’m more venting than anything. We’ll still need local kids of course...

Every great coach has one thing in common. They know how to adjust and adopt. Richt has done neither which is why we are in the predicament we are in. I made a thread about it and i’ll Say it again, we have to do something now, we open with the Gators next season, it’s supposed to be our time now.

Advertisement
Advertisement
This class is a disaster. It hurts to say, because we have some excellent people in the personnel department and on staff. But there is no denying it. This is an embarrassing failure.

I went back and looked at similar classes. In 2015, we finished 27th. In 2016, we finished 22nd. Those were bad signing days. This one will probably end up in that range. There was a lot of dead weight in those classes. But we also signed Jaquan Johnson, Shaq Quarterman, Joe Jackson, Sheldrick Redwine, RJ McIntosh, Gerald Willis, Kendrick Norton, Michael Jackson, Mike Pinckney, Romeo Finely, Pat Bethel and Zach McCloud.

In other words, we signed a championship-caliber defense over two bad cycles. How did that happen?

The first takeaway is that Miami will always get good players. Even our crap classes have talent. But the real reason is even simpler: we replaced the problem (D’Onofrio) with the solution (Diaz). D’Onofrio's defense was the problem. We hired Diaz, and he unlocked a championship unit.

Which brings me to today. Once again, we have a clear problem. We have the 4th most efficient defense and the 79th most efficient offense. The results on the field are reflected in the class. Our quarterbacks sucked. We couldn’t sign a quarterback. Our offensive line sucked. We couldn’t sign any offensive linemen. Our offense sucked. We only signed one 4* on offense.

People are talking about changing Miami's recruiting strategy. That's nonsense. We need to fix the real problem. Only Coach Richt can do that. Unless, of course, he's the problem.

When Barry Jackson asked him about changes after today's practice, Richt said "we plan on getting better with what we already do." That's a shame. I don't want Richt to ruin his legacy, and I don't want to waste another couple years. But that's where we are headed. And it might be Manny Diaz coming back once again to solve the problem.

Dmoney the prophet

Advertisement
Advertisement
Can only live on portal prospects for so long. Need to succeed in December and Frebruaru NSD’s in order to become elite.

You are right however.....obviously this was not that year, so the portal was best way to add competitive talent. Also new portal rules have opened up a new avenue to gain talent.

Advertisement
Back