A simple problem, and a simple solution

I would rather have Mario or Babers. Manny has not proved himself as a Head coach yet. Plus he is an Fsu alum, would he jump for that job when it opens?

Advertisement
Advertisement
Mork thinks that the U has the same allure as it did 15-20 years ago.most of the kids we are trying to recruit were in diapers or a twinkle in their daddy’s eye the last time we were relevant.

They think that kids will come here to play just because we are the U.Sht don’t wok like that anymore.They think just because they talk to these 4-5 star kids they are locked in,they’re coming and recruiting stops.Its why they keep getting played and because they think every kid they talk to is Locked in they don’t have any backup plans then they get snookered.

I thought Golden was clueless about how to recruit down in S.Fla but he is Saban compared to this jackass and his staff.
Train Richt is truly teh woat.

The guys that burned us the worst this year are Crowley (Jacksonville), Tarquin (Ocala), Kingsley (Jacksonville) and Haselwood (Atlanta). And the biggest trolls were from Lakeland.

It’s hard to win battles in South Florida, but it’s even harder in enemy territory.

If we win 10+ games like we easily should have, how many on that list flip?

I view those kids differently than Jeudy, Campbell, etc. who bailed on us after we'd worked our way back into legitimate national football conversations.

As for simple solutions, e.g. coordinators, that ship sailed, IMO, that was an adjustment you make after last season, not now. We're passed that. Then, it was maybe not buying into the culture. Now, it's not buying into the program.

Advertisement
.We need to fix the real problem. Only Coach Richt can do that. Unless, of course, he's the problem.

A few things:

1. Richt, assuming he doesn’t resign/retire, will be coaching his 19th season (all at P5 programs) next year. That means he has 18 years of experience as a P5 HC. If Richt was able to fix the “real problem” he would have probably learned to do it by now. How likely is it that Richt can just be a good coach? How likely is it that he can turn it on? What is he waiting for?

2. If you examine the hire at the time, it made no sense for a few reasons and one of those directly touches at your post above. What was the likelihood of anyone, with such a large sample of HC experience at the P5 level, outperforming their prior tenure. Richt isn’t some young HC learning on the job. He is an old man and his sample size and track record are well established. The book is probably closed and his ceiling is likely established.

Over the last 30 years, how many coaches with 10 years or more experience (as a P5 HC at one school) are suddenly able to just outperform their prior tenure. One comes to mind but when he left his prior program it was nowhere near the level of his new program. That name is Mack Brown and UNC was nothing like UT.

3. On top of the likelihood of outperforming his prior tenure, what are the odds that it can be done while repeating mistakes that you knew already?

Richt was relieved of his OC duties at UGA and after that they scored more points and gained more yards.

Mistake #1: Richt comes here and decides that he can be the OC too. Richt makes his own job harder because he creates a bigger obstacle, himself.

Mistake #2: Insisting on being the OC and calling plays, Richt hires zero coaches who can actually help him with Xs and Os.

Even knowing this, he wanted to take on this challenge and make his job harder.

Mistake #3: throwing away an offensive coaching spot on your unqualified son.

Mistake #4: After doing poorly in 2016, Richt makes zero changes. Richt should have seen his OC issues in 2016. He made no changes.

Mistake #5: After regressing (during ACC play) on offense in 2017, Richt makes no changes.

Mistake #6: Richt has the power to hire an additional coach without firing one, Richt brings in a defensive coach. The major/real issues are on offense. Richt says, “we’re good”.

Either Richt doesn’t see it or care but either way, he is who he was. Not the guy.

Yep. LSU, which isn’t a dynamic offense, did what it wanted to our defense. The only time we stopped them was when they got a big lead and started running dive plays every snap to burn the clock. We didn’t slow BC down until they destroyed us 3 or 4 possessions in a row.

It was a very good defense against a very very bad bunch of garbage opponents. I wouldn’t call it a championship defense because any of the truly top teams in the country would have worked us.

It was good enough to win the Coastal again if that’s what these men mean by “championship defense.”

Thank you! Too many people crowning Diaz but it we didn’t have a “championship” Defense like most claim.

This class is a disaster. It hurts to say, because we have some excellent people in the personnel department and on staff. But there is no denying it. This is an embarrassing failure.

I went back and looked at similar classes. In 2015, we finished 27th. In 2016, we finished 22nd. Those were bad signing days. This one will probably end up in that range. There was a lot of dead weight in those classes. But we also signed Jaquan Johnson, Shaq Quarterman, Joe Jackson, Sheldrick Redwine, RJ McIntosh, Gerald Willis, Kendrick Norton, Michael Jackson, Mike Pinckney, Romeo Finely, Pat Bethel and Zach McCloud.

In other words, we signed a championship-caliber defense over two bad cycles. How did that happen?

The first takeaway is that Miami will always get good players. Even our crap classes have talent. But the real reason is even simpler: we replaced the problem (D’Onofrio) with the solution (Diaz). D’Onofrio's defense was the problem. We hired Diaz, and he unlocked a championship unit.

Which brings me to today. Once again, we have a clear problem. We have the 4th most efficient defense and the 79th most efficient offense. The results on the field are reflected in the class. Our quarterbacks sucked. We couldn’t sign a quarterback. Our offensive line sucked. We couldn’t sign any offensive linemen. Our offense sucked. We only signed one 4* on offense.

People are talking about changing Miami's recruiting strategy. That's nonsense. We need to fix the real problem. Only Coach Richt can do that. Unless, of course, he's the problem.

When Barry Jackson asked him about changes after today's practice, Richt said "we plan on getting better with what we already do." That's a shame. I don't want Richt to ruin his legacy, and I don't want to waste another couple years. But that's where we are headed. And it might be Manny Diaz coming back once again to solve the problem.

Good stuff DMoney.
Agree that this class is a disaster, but disagree on your comments regarding the personnel department.....that entire sick ward needs to be replaced.....have a bunch of incompetent interns working that office. I get what you're saying that Richt's offense makes it harder to recruit to, but it should not take away what a bunch of dolts we have in that building.....I suppose we get what we pay for.

The guys that burned us the worst this year are Crowley (Jacksonville), Tarquin (Ocala), Kingsley (Jacksonville) and Haselwood (Atlanta). And the biggest trolls were from Lakeland.

It’s hard to win battles in South Florida, but it’s even harder in enemy territory.

Sad thing is, we didn't even lose Crowley to UF/FSU. We lost him to Ohio State (great program). But it's the fact that we lost him to the post-Urban era.

Advertisement
Yep. LSU, which isn’t a dynamic offense, did what it wanted to our defense. The only time we stopped them was when they got a big lead and started running dive plays every snap to burn the clock. We didn’t slow BC down until they destroyed us 3 or 4 possessions in a row.

It was a very good defense against a very very bad bunch of garbage opponents. I wouldn’t call it a championship defense because any of the truly top teams in the country would have worked us.

It was good enough to win the Coastal again if that’s what these men mean by “championship defense.”

A month ago I literally said we had a top 5/10 defense, but I thought LSU, Clemson and Bama had better defenses. The fact that segments of our fanbase disagreed with me is alarming.

This class is a disaster. It hurts to say, because we have some excellent people in the personnel department and on staff. But there is no denying it. This is an embarrassing failure.

I went back and looked at similar classes. In 2015, we finished 27th. In 2016, we finished 22nd. Those were bad signing days. This one will probably end up in that range. There was a lot of dead weight in those classes. But we also signed Jaquan Johnson, Shaq Quarterman, Joe Jackson, Sheldrick Redwine, RJ McIntosh, Gerald Willis, Kendrick Norton, Michael Jackson, Mike Pinckney, Romeo Finely, Pat Bethel and Zach McCloud.

In other words, we signed a championship-caliber defense over two bad cycles. How did that happen?

The first takeaway is that Miami will always get good players. Even our crap classes have talent. But the real reason is even simpler: we replaced the problem (D’Onofrio) with the solution (Diaz). D’Onofrio's defense was the problem. We hired Diaz, and he unlocked a championship unit.

Which brings me to today. Once again, we have a clear problem. We have the 4th most efficient defense and the 79th most efficient offense. The results on the field are reflected in the class. Our quarterbacks sucked. We couldn’t sign a quarterback. Our offensive line sucked. We couldn’t sign any offensive linemen. Our offense sucked. We only signed one 4* on offense.

People are talking about changing Miami's recruiting strategy. That's nonsense. We need to fix the real problem. Only Coach Richt can do that. Unless, of course, he's the problem.

When Barry Jackson asked him about changes after today's practice, Richt said "we plan on getting better with what we already do." That's a shame. I don't want Richt to ruin his legacy, and I don't want to waste another couple years. But that's where we are headed. And it might be Manny Diaz coming back once again to solve the problem.
Great post. This is so obvious and yet it amazes me how few people see it.

I don't know the Richt family personally, but seeing his responses to the dumpster fire around him really have to make you wonder what his intentions are and what kind of person is he really? There's no way you care about the kids working under you and continue to stick your head under the sand when it's obvious that things need to change. My hope for this next season is that he exhibits humility, just once. Just once, it would be nice to hear him accept responsibility, like a man should.

And, to the point of his legacy: the guy is singlehandedly tarnishing it as his own hand. It's not like a fighter who's too old and can't get his body to move the way it used to. He could get other people to help him do the work. The guy's just stubborn.

Last edited:
Advertisement

Brownlee?
Ingraham?

Dmoney, the problem is both. You can sign a **** class and if we have great coaches, we can still be good. But to be great, to be the best, we'll need good coaches AND good classes.

We're stuck with Richt till 2023 unless he's fired or molests a cheerleader. But we can and should have a high level OC, If Blake doesn't get this done NOW then fire him - It's not like he's burning it up in any major sport.

Advertisement
Back