A simple problem, and a simple solution

Dmoney this class is the worst class since maybe 2013 or 2007 imo
I actually think our class will have plenty of talent ( especially on D) but it won't be near what the last 2 classes were. Last year's class was the best UM in 15 years at least. That is what is so shocking about this recruiting - Richt is one of the best over the last 20 years by any standard. But his offense is so offensive that kids are very turned off on Offense. We still are signing great defensive players which is no surprise as Manny and now Banda will run a great attacking D.

Advertisement
Did you not read the post? The point is we will get talent down here no matter how bad the class is. The point is a good coach can turn any South Florida talent into a championship caliber unit.

ANY defensive coach running a 4-3 will have a top 25 defense at Miami. This is why I don't see a huge drop from Diaz to Banda. I'm thrilled what with Manny did, but a DC would be have to be a total DNofrio to fail on defense with Miami athletes.

No doubt that Richt is a problem that refuses to acknowledge change despite the raging fire that is surrounding and severely damaging our program.

Recruiting is not an exact science. However, it serves as a barometer of where our program currently lies. Especially, when you consider the immense amount of South Florida talent, improvements in our facilities and FSU’s recent historical fail.

We have reached an epic low.

However, beyond Richt, the real issue Is James who shares the same lazy hiring attributes as Richt does and should be fired for his clear lack of vision and leadership. With season ticket pricing rising and fan support waning, there is little doubt where this current disaster is heading for both Blake and Mark.

That said, there is no doubt that we will win a handful of games as a result of our remaining talent and weak Coastal conference. Nonetheless, the true future where we alll foresee our program reaching remains distant and will not begin to be realized until another painful season has concluded and change is realized.

This is clear.

“We plan on improving on what we already do” oh boy did he really say that. Gonna be a loooong season. I don’t think anybody is excited for the next season, feels like Golden’s last year

Talk about totally misunderstanding his point

I didn’t miss his point at all.

I just expounded on the point that he IS the problem and there’s no UNLESS about It.

I know that DMONEYis smart enough to know where the problem lies.At least I’m pretty sure he does but the point I was making is that there should be no one wondering where the problem is and we as fans need to let Mork know that WE all know here the problem lies.

Mork had no idea what’d headed his way.The offseason Is gonna be bad enough but he gets curbstompd by UFAG next year he’s gonna wish he’d have kept going into retirement cause he’s gonna be in the middle of a scorched earth scenario

Advertisement
This class is a disaster. It hurts to say, because we have some excellent people in the personnel department and on staff. But there is no denying it. This is an embarrassing failure.

I went back and looked at similar classes. In 2015, we finished 27th. In 2016, we finished 22nd. Those were bad signing days. This one will probably end up in that range. There was a lot of dead weight in those classes. But we also signed Jaquan Johnson, Shaq Quarterman, Joe Jackson, Sheldrick Redwine, RJ McIntosh, Gerald Willis, Kendrick Norton, Michael Jackson, Mike Pinckney, Romeo Finely, Pat Bethel and Zach McCloud.

In other words, we signed a championship-caliber defense over two bad cycles. How did that happen?

The first takeaway is that Miami will always get good players. Even our crap classes have talent. But the real reason is even simpler: we replaced the problem (D’Onofrio) with the solution (Diaz). D’Onofrio's defense was the problem. We hired Diaz, and he unlocked a championship unit.

Which brings me to today. Once again, we have a clear problem. We have the 4th most efficient defense and the 79th most efficient offense. The results on the field are reflected in the class. Our quarterbacks sucked. We couldn’t sign a quarterback. Our offensive line sucked. We couldn’t sign any offensive linemen. Our offense sucked. We only signed one 4* on offense.

People are talking about changing Miami's recruiting strategy. That's nonsense. We need to fix the real problem. Only Coach Richt can do that. Unless, of course, he's the problem.

When Barry Jackson asked him about changes after today's practice, Richt said "we plan on getting better with what we already do." That's a shame. I don't want Richt to ruin his legacy, and I don't want to waste another couple years. But that's where we are headed. And it might be Manny Diaz coming back once again to solve the problem.

Mario has more of a pedigree at this juncture; if he can recruit as well as he does at Oregon he should do really well at Miami. I would also imagine his time with Saban taught him about being the CEO, high-level recruiting, and managing quality coordinators. I think Richt is a great coach, but not when he's doing it by proxy. We're a QB away from being better on offense, but if the current atmosphere won't allow us to retain or attract them it's time for a change. The University, student athletes and fans deserve better.

This class is a disaster. It hurts to say, because we have some excellent people in the personnel department and on staff. But there is no denying it. This is an embarrassing failure.

I went back and looked at similar classes. In 2015, we finished 27th. In 2016, we finished 22nd. Those were bad signing days. This one will probably end up in that range. There was a lot of dead weight in those classes. But we also signed Jaquan Johnson, Shaq Quarterman, Joe Jackson, Sheldrick Redwine, RJ McIntosh, Gerald Willis, Kendrick Norton, Michael Jackson, Mike Pinckney, Romeo Finely, Pat Bethel and Zach McCloud.

In other words, we signed a championship-caliber defense over two bad cycles. How did that happen?

The first takeaway is that Miami will always get good players. Even our crap classes have talent. But the real reason is even simpler: we replaced the problem (D’Onofrio) with the solution (Diaz). D’Onofrio's defense was the problem. We hired Diaz, and he unlocked a championship unit.

Which brings me to today. Once again, we have a clear problem. We have the 4th most efficient defense and the 79th most efficient offense. The results on the field are reflected in the class. Our quarterbacks sucked. We couldn’t sign a quarterback. Our offensive line sucked. We couldn’t sign any offensive linemen. Our offense sucked. We only signed one 4* on offense.

People are talking about changing Miami's recruiting strategy. That's nonsense. We need to fix the real problem. Only Coach Richt can do that. Unless, of course, he's the problem.

When Barry Jackson asked him about changes after today's practice, Richt said "we plan on getting better with what we already do." That's a shame. I don't want Richt to ruin his legacy, and I don't want to waste another couple years. But that's where we are headed. And it might be Manny Diaz coming back once again to solve the problem.

I have to disagree with your characterization of this class as “bad”. We signed a number of good players today, on defense. We signed an excellent wide receiver and a good solid left tackle, as well as a big time RB transfer. However on offense, it was a bad day. The good news we have another shot it more players in February, granted, not the five star players. One thing that really concerns me about the perception of the recruiting class this year, the validation of the class is very Cokeresque”, with a huge emphasis on star rating and not on the quality of player.

Whoever we hire needs to be able to develop and recruit oline because it’s been at the heart of our struggles. Even our NFL oline in ‘13 or ‘14 couldn’t consistently dominate.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Cristobal and Diaz are our top two coaching candidates when the dust settles on Richt’s tenure.

Advertisement
D$, I feel you are spot on. We worry so much about recruiting, but:
1. a 10-win Miami would have brought in the #1 or #2 class in the ACC without even trying given the depth of talent in our back yard.
2. I would bet 11 or maybe even all 12 of the teams we played would have traded rosters. When is the last time we had a coach that won against teams with more talent?

We will get enough talent to win the Coastal and be 10+ every single year with quality OC and DC (and ST). That's where the problem is. Richt needs to fix it immediately, or he's gone within the next 10 months.

Spot on post. I would take Diaz any day of the week over a fat, happy, lazy has been like Richt. Diaz is young, he has energy and he is the brain child of the turnover chain which motivated our defensive players to fly around the field and attack the ball. How the **** could we finish 7-5 with a championship caliber defense? I look forward to the day that Richt gets canned and would open arms to Diaz and a competent staff.

Mario has more of a pedigree at this juncture; if he can recruit as well as he does at Oregon he should do really well at Miami. I would also imagine his time with Saban taught him about being the CEO, high-level recruiting, and managing quality coordinators. I think Richt is a great coach, but not when he's doing it by proxy. We're a QB away from being better on offense, but if the current atmosphere won't allow us to retain or attract them it's time for a change. The University, student athletes and fans deserve better.

Mario has never had a problem recruiting.Thats why he’s always been so valuable to coaches like Saban.Mario is locked in down in the area.Guy would kill it and he looks to have learned that the coaches around him are as important as the HC.

Advertisement
@DMoney, Now that we whiffed on all of our top targets, maybe Jorn & Papa Richt can pull this transfer...film seems to show that he has good hips...no idea if he can pass though

Did you not read the post? The point is we will get talent down here no matter how bad the class is. The point is a good coach can turn any South Florida talent into a championship caliber unit.

Well, it doesn’t look like we will get a whole lot of kids from south Florida this recruiting cycle.

Advertisement
It’s funny in some ways, this is exactly what Georgia fans sounded like a few years back.

What I don’t get is how is this happening? What exactly is causing all these guys to go elsewhere? Did Richt all of a sudden forget how to recruit because that was never a problem at Athens. If Haselwood is really using us as a smokescreen, how does this staff get hoodwinked by a 17 year old? The thought of that kid doing that, if true, ****es me off to no end. Not that I want some stupid teenager to fail, but because the program is too fvking important to be disrespected that way.
I get that Richt has a tough time with the playcalling, but Taggart’s outfit was way worse. How are they still recruiting at an elite level?
Too many questions. I’d like coherent answers, not the “Mork sucks” kind. I love the program too much to see it sink and disappear. Let me put it this way, I’d much rather see Richt win a title than have us reach Willie Taggart / Jim McElwain status.

Mork thinks that the U has the same allure as it did 15-20 years ago.most of the kids we are trying to recruit were in diapers or a twinkle in their daddy’s eye the last time we were relevant.

They think that kids will come here to play just because we are the U.Sht don’t wok like that anymore.They think just because they talk to these 4-5 star kids they are locked in,they’re coming and recruiting stops.Its why they keep getting played and because they think every kid they talk to is Locked in they don’t have any backup plans then they get snookered.

I thought Golden was clueless about how to recruit down in S.Fla but he is Saban compared to this jackass and his staff.

Advertisement
Back