5 Star LB Marcell Brooks enters the Portal

If we're getting grade/character castoffs like Marshall and WVU, then, yes, we should be ripped. You can't always say, "yeah, but we ripped Marshall for doing it, so we shouldn't do it!"

Getting high character transfers like King and Roche, who want to play on a bigger stage, is completely different than WVU taking that gangly, goofy TE that got kicked out of here or Marshall taking the RB we couldn't get in because of his street game.
If we're getting grade/character castoffs like Marshall and WVU, then, yes, we should be ripped. You can't always say, "yeah, but we ripped Marshall for doing it, so we shouldn't do it!"

Getting high character transfers like King and Roche, who want to play on a bigger stage, is completely different than WVU taking that gangly, goofy TE that got kicked out of here or Marshall taking the RB we couldn't get in because of his street game.

Lol @ King being high character when he quit on his team in the middle of the season as a starting QB; an unprecedented move. I got @Canedog trying to reason that Brian Hightower “QUIT” on his brothers in the middle of the season as justification to why circumstances are different; yet BH was not a starter, nor given a fair shot, as we warmly welcomed a guy who legit quit on his team, got in to an argument w his position, and immediately inserted him as starter.

YET, we gloss over the fact that King did the same exact chit, but the kicker is, HE WAS THE STARTER. He didn’t lose his position as starter, didn’t get injured, didn’t have family issues to attend to out of state; nope, he sat himself down b/c he started 1-3 in a new system, and gave his team the impression he was coming back, just to bounce to us. How is that high character?

We can try to spin narratives to fit or justify why we do chit, but as I stated, and I stand 100% by not having a team full of portal guys. It sets a bad precedent for locker room culture, and the kids who actually signed here.

Advertisement
In season, off season the narrative would’ve been the same chit. And bull chit that Cager would will always be remembered as a good Cane. LMAO. There was a whole thread on him bashing him, including minimizing his impact w UGA when he was healthy.
Cager was the same guy at UGA that he was here. I liked him here but hated him when he quit just like I do with anyone else who quits my U.

Never understood the **** Cager took here though. He was a good player here and a good player there. It's not like he went to UGA and suddenly became Randy Moss.

Lol @ King being high character when he quit on his team in the middle of the season as a starting QB; an unprecedented move. I got @Canedog trying to reason that Brian Hightower “QUIT” on his brothers in the middle of the season as justification to why circumstances are different; yet BH was not a starter, nor given a fair shot, as we warmly welcomed a guy who legit quit on his team, got in to an argument w his position, and immediately inserted him as starter.

YET, we gloss over the fact that King did the same exact chit, but the kicker is, HE WAS THE STARTER. He didn’t lose his position as starter, didn’t get injured, didn’t have family issues to attend to out of state; nope, he sat himself down b/c he started 1-3 in a new system, and gave his team the impression he was coming back, just to bounce to us. How is that high character?

We can try to spin narratives to fit or justify why we do chit, but as I stated, and I stand 100% by not having a team full of portal guys. It sets a bad precedent for locker room culture, and the kids who actually signed here.
King didn't quit on his team. I'm pretty sure Hologram and he decided to RS him after 4 games in an effort to bring him back in 2020 with a better supporting cast.

As for Hightower, I wish he would have stayed. But now that he's gone, I'm not gonna cry for him. Fck it. He quit. If I was a Houston fan, I'd probably hate King. That's just how I'm wired. If you're with me, we're good; if you're not with me, then you're my enemy. Being a fan isn't necessarily about trying to be fair to other teams' players and to love other teams and their players.

This. It’s 2020 and kids aren’t sitting around waiting for playing time or just sucking it up and sticking it out when the coach leaves and the system changes. Pursuing 5 star guys looking for a new school is the smart play unless the kid is a known problem child. That said, this kid isn’t interested. He’s going to go somewhere to be a 3-4 OLB
Idk, I remember he said on his IG post, which he deleted a while back, that he didn't like how LSU wasn't playing him at safety

King didn't quit on his team. I'm pretty sure Hologram and he decided to RS him after 4 games in an effort to bring him back in 2020 with a better supporting cast.

As for Hightower, I wish he would have stayed. But now that he's gone, I'm not gonna cry for him. Fck it. He quit. If I was a Houston fan, I'd probably hate King. That's just how I'm wired. If you're with me, we're good; if you're not with me, then you're my enemy. Being a fan isn't necessarily about trying to be fair to other teams' players and to love other teams and their players.

OK Chise, by such reasoning then that means Lo didn’t quit on us either then, correct?

Come on man; I get it, we’re all orange & green in here, but we can’t keep being hypocritical in our approach. We can’t give kids **** for leaving us or “quitting on us” but are so quick to defend the embracing of such kids entering into our program. Dude we’ve been living in the portal and all that’s gotten us is a 13-13 record. U don’t win big living off transfers. That’s not how we were raised around here. That’s for the WVU’s, Marshall’s, and Coastal Carolinas of the world. But my god, every f’ing name that enters the portal we making threads on and calling them a must have beast.

Ummmm, no they are not, b/c if they are a must have beast, I promise u they wouldn’t be in the portal.

Last edited:
Advertisement
OK Chise, by such reasoning then that means Lo didn’t quit on us either then, correct?
I don't know when Limptard quit. But anyone who admits to dreaming of gator dyck while he was still technically a Cane is garbage to me. I hate him now though.

Look, Relly. I'm not trying to apply logic to being a fan. I openly admit I love Canes and hate other teams and their players. If you quit another place to come here then you're a Cane, and I welcome you with love. If you quit here to go somewhere else, then you're the enemy, and I don't have any affection for you.

I'm not sure why guys feel the need to keep everything even Steven and call Canes fans hypocrites for hating guys who quit here and liking guys who come here.

I don't know when Limptard quit. But anyone who admits to dreaming of gator dyck while he was still technically a Cane is garbage to me. I hate him now though.

Look, Relly. I'm not trying to apply logic to being a fan. I openly admit I love Canes and hate other teams and their players. If you quit another place to come here then you're a Cane, and I welcome you with love. If you quit here to go somewhere else, then you're the enemy, and I don't have any affection for you.

I'm not sure why guys feel the need to keep everything even Steven and call Canes fans hypocrites for hating guys who quit here and liking guys who come here.

I feel u; but my original point was/is if we are criticizing guys for quitting, why are we embracing guys who were quitters at their old programs? We don’t need that chit; we need to develop our own; why put ppl who quit their programs immediately above guys who signed on the dotted line?

I feel u; but my original point was/is if we are criticizing guys for quitting, why are we embracing guys who were quitters at their old programs? We don’t need that chit; we need to develop our own; why put ppl who quit their programs immediately above guys who signed on the dotted line?
Because we need guys to fill certainly spots so we can win NOW. I'd rather have Joe Burrow, who quit Ohio Taint, than Miles Brennan, who signed out of HS. I'd rather have Kyler Murray, who quit AM, than Austin Kendall. And I'd rather have D'Eriq King than any of the guys behind him here.

I don't see the problem with vetting guys to see why they left their previous spot and then adding them if they fit into what you're doing. King didn't leave Houston because he was scared of competition or anything like that. He wasn't a bad teammate either. Same with Roche. KJ Osborn was one of my favorite players last year. He was a credit to my alma mater and a great team guy.

When you have holes, you fill them the best you can. No one is advocating making the entire roster portal guys.

Advertisement
Because we need guys to fill certainly spots so we can win NOW. I'd rather have Joe Burrow, who quit Ohio Taint, than Miles Brennan, who signed out of HS. I'd rather have Kyler Murray, who quit AM, than Austin Kendall. And I'd rather have D'Eriq King than any of the guys behind him here.

I don't see the problem with vetting guys to see why they left their previous spot and then adding them if they fit into what you're doing. King didn't leave Houston because he was scared of competition or anything like that. He wasn't a bad teammate either. Same with Roche. KJ Osborn was one of my favorite players last year. He was a credit to my alma mater and a great team guy.

When you have holes, you fill them the best you can. No one is advocating making the entire roster portal guys.

For every KJ Osborne and Adrian Colbert (both grand transfers), we have Thomas, Kennedy, Delaney, Brown, Hill, Martell, Martin, Boulware, Testaverde, Nnoruka, etc.

I have no problem w King; my original post wasn’t about King....it was about the clamoring of portal guys. Our clamoring has led us to 13-13 since we’ve become portal crazy.

So friend; we’ll have to agree to disagree. I refuse to be known as Marshall SE.

For every KJ Osborne and Adrian Colbert (both grand transfers), we have Thomas, Kennedy, Delaney, Brown, Hill, Martell, Martin, Boulware, Testaverde, Nnoruka, etc.

I have no problem w King; my original post wasn’t about King....it was about the clamoring of portal guys. Our clamoring has led us to 13-13 since we’ve become portal crazy.

So friend; we’ll have to agree to disagree. I refuse to be known as Marshall SE.
If you're blaming 13-13 on the portal, then I'll tip the cap to you and bow out, friend. We have had way more recruited busts than portal busts. Not to mention the horrific coaching and leadership.

Lol at comparing us taking transfers to Marshall. Marshall takes kids who have grade/character concerns bc A.) they can and B.) they are a G5 so if they can get talented players on their team, they will do so by any means necessary.

Since Diaz has been HC, we’ve taken transfers that we thought were better than what we had and could help the team win. The circumstances have been different for almost all of them. Wanting to play on a bigger stage(KJ) lack of playing time elsewhere, a new HC comes in and changes shìt(King), Boldens situation etc. We’re not just taking fliers on troubled kids bc we can’t recruit at a high enough level.

And it’s ridiculous that posters are acting like the guys we’ve gotten out of the portal have all sucked. Tate, Kennedy are the only busts I can think. KJ and Bolden were great pickups. Hill and the UCLA DT contributed. The others are unproven but I guarantee they will be upgrades to what we had previously. You all will be praising King, Roche and Jaelan soon enough.

You can’t build a team of transfers but it’d be ignorant to not take players that are obvious upgrades to what we have, especially if you’re job is on the line.

I look at signing a portal prospect the same as hiring an employee wanting to leave their current job.

Why do they want to leave? An opportunity to advance (i.e., start)? I've no problem with that. Maybe the scheme changed and the player no longer fits. Maybe he is stuck behind better players and wants to contribute rather than warm the bench. This is no different than hiring an employee looking to move up from his current job. Maybe he wants more responsibility and no openings where he works.

If he checks the character boxes and fills a need, he's a take.

Advertisement
If you're blaming 13-13 on the portal, then I'll tip the cap to you and bow out, friend. We have had way more recruited busts than portal busts. Not to mention the horrific coaching and leadership.

I agree; I just want to get to a point where we don’t have to rely on the portal. I yearn for those days. I well know we’ve had guys transfer here back in the day from other schools, but it was limited. I don’t like being known as portal kings, and I don’t want to be known as 2nd Chance U. I want our players to be developed, where kids are clamoring to come to us at NSD, not after the fact like some sloppy seconds.

I'm sure it could spook a few recruits when they're trying to decide based on depth charts and playing time. I'm sure other coaches will use it as a recruiting strategy against UM, showing the need for transfers with failed evaluation/recruiting and player development.

To me, there's a bigger risk - numbers. Especially upper class transfers.

25 IC/yr x 4 years = 100 total scholarship players.

With the limit of 85 - more than 4 defections per year to transfer, draft entry, etc you will not field a full roster.

Most guys don't redshirt and stay 5 years at schools like Miami. We get 4 year max, many at 3. Taking too many transfers will eventually lead to you with a roster of 75. That's why it's critical to focus on elite talent and critical positions (QB, OT, DL, etc). With our recruiting grounds, we should not be forced to use the portal for RB/WR/DB. If we do, it's because the coaches failed miserably and allowed it to happen with poor evals or falling on their face in recruiting battles.

or we lack leadership and put a poor product on the field... we lost to FIU last season.

Our program's culture is still a big unknown, and without portal transfers our staff better recruit and develop talent at an elite level.

or we lack leadership and put a poor product on the field... we lost to FIU last season.

Our program's culture is still a big unknown, and without portal transfers our staff better recruit and develop talent at an elite level.

Leadership starts at the top.....both on/off the field as coaches and leaders, and with whom they choose to recruit.

Advertisement
I agree; I just want to get to a point where we don’t have to rely on the portal. I yearn for those days. I well know we’ve had guys transfer here back in the day from other schools, but it was limited. I don’t like being known as portal kings, and I don’t want to be known as 2nd Chance U. I want our players to be developed, where kids are clamoring to come to us at NSD, not after the fact like some sloppy seconds.

Different era, transfer portal didnt even exist back in the day.
You have to adjust with the times.

I'm with you, but if we're final chance u, transfer u, Juco u, or whatever and ballin, I'm in. We just gotta get there and once we're close to on top or on top, with the right staff the recruiting will take care of itself.

KState used to be JUCO U and were putting out solid squads. I don't think their fans were upset about it. With our local recruiting grounds, we could take it to the next level. King could be our Michael Bishop.

Advertisement
Back