5 Star LB Marcell Brooks enters the Portal

(((((((((((((((sigh))))))))))))))

Clearly I said we shouldn’t have a roster full of portal guys.
It sets a bad precedent. And for King’s sake, I hope he balls, b/c if he don’t, he will he lambasted by this board.
Facts

WVU does that and they never do ****....I always said transfer u isn't a good look man it means u ain't do your job on the trail and your looking for patch work. Either u find a diamond or a guy that couldn't cut it elsewhere

Advertisement
Facts

WVU does that and they never do ****....I always said transfer u isn't a good look man it means u ain't do your job on the trail and your looking for patch work. Either u find a diamond or a guy that couldn't cut it elsewhere

Exactly; we always clowned WVU & Marshall for doing this chit, but now it’s fashionable for us?

Check our portal results; they are less than stellar.

Did he play or did he start? How’s the depth chart? What’s the reason he’s leaving? Was he called a derogatory term? Home sick? I don’t recall him having any meaningful snaps at LSU, so I’m just wondering what’s the reason behind him leaving the program.
Brotha, LSU is chest deep with backers. The fact that he even got snaps with his weight concerns is impressive. He was nowhere near ready and he got snaps. I get your concerns but this kid was on track to start for them in at least a year.

Last edited:
Advertisement
From LSU:

In one season at LSU, Brooks established himself as a pass rushing threat for the Tigers en route to a 15-0 season and National Championship Game win. Brooks played as a backup in 11 games with no starts, and he finished the year with eight tackles and 1.5 sacks to his credit. His solo sack came in a tight home matchup against Florida, while he had a half-sack in a blowout win vs. Texas A&M in the regular season finale.

I’ve talked to a handful of people here including a very trusted source with some direct knowledge of things.

Brooks is handling some stuff off the field that deals with his personal life and it’s not something we will guess about The details here. But the idea of transferring out came up and he talked with plenty of staff who told him to stay and ride things out, but he wanted to head home. I won’t be surprised if he lands somewhere closer to his mom. TCU is a team one source mentioned as a possibility.

Brooks could always pull his name out of the portal and stay at LSU, but he decided today to put his name in.

It has nothing to do with a position or any of that, before folks ask.

From LSU:

In one season at LSU, Brooks established himself as a pass rushing threat for the Tigers en route to a 15-0 season and National Championship Game win. Brooks played as a backup in 11 games with no starts, and he finished the year with eight tackles and 1.5 sacks to his credit. His solo sack came in a tight home matchup against Florida, while he had a half-sack in a blowout win vs. Texas A&M in the regular season finale.

I’ve talked to a handful of people here including a very trusted source with some direct knowledge of things.

Brooks is handling some stuff off the field that deals with his personal life and it’s not something we will guess about The details here. But the idea of transferring out came up and he talked with plenty of staff who told him to stay and ride things out, but he wanted to head home. I won’t be surprised if he lands somewhere closer to his mom. TCU is a team one source mentioned as a possibility.

Brooks could always pull his name out of the portal and stay at LSU, but he decided today to put his name in.

Yup in other words, STAY AWAY!!! Plus i really want to see how Brooks and Huff develop. You guys forget the athletic freaks we already have. Brooks, Huff, Keontra Smith are all heat seeking missiles.

This is strange but I guess he didn’t like it there or maybe the new dc Pelini.

LSU is switching from a core 3-4 where he was on the outside with Aranda to a 4-3 with Pelini.

it was impressive he got snaps last year when they had a couple studs in their 3-4 but I know they’ve had some depth issues at lb since switching (some of their olb like Webb and Ojulari moving to defensive end). So that why it’s strange to me: he either wants to play a 3-4 or or didnt like it there /new coordinator Pelini because as of now they do have lb depth issues.

Advertisement
From LSU:

just missed this. Well this makes more sense given their current depth issues

Isn't there a downside to continuously taking transfers? Wouldn't recruits be turned off by starting spots being taken year after year?
Just thinking off my head.. what y'all think?

I'm sure it could spook a few recruits when they're trying to decide based on depth charts and playing time. I'm sure other coaches will use it as a recruiting strategy against UM, showing the need for transfers with failed evaluation/recruiting and player development.

To me, there's a bigger risk - numbers. Especially upper class transfers.

25 IC/yr x 4 years = 100 total scholarship players.

With the limit of 85 - more than 4 defections per year to transfer, draft entry, etc you will not field a full roster.

Most guys don't redshirt and stay 5 years at schools like Miami. We get 4 year max, many at 3. Taking too many transfers will eventually lead to you with a roster of 75. That's why it's critical to focus on elite talent and critical positions (QB, OT, DL, etc). With our recruiting grounds, we should not be forced to use the portal for RB/WR/DB. If we do, it's because the coaches failed miserably and allowed it to happen with poor evals or falling on their face in recruiting battles.

Advertisement
Ya’ll are funny, man.

So I had to hear ya’ll call Brian Hightower a quitter for going to the portal; u called Cager a quitter and that he’s dead to us for going to the portal, yet u’re so quick to embrace any and every player that hits the portal.

I for one don’t want a team full of portal guys. Grad transfers, I’m OK w, but guys who can’t put in the work to beat out ppl in front of them? Naw, I’m good. Sets a bad culture. Sends a bad message to the kids that actually committed here to play, as well.
Are you implying that most posters are nonsensical hypocrites ??? Cause I would find it hard to believe that posters like that would ever exist on this forum ...... :zczkqmritjdsoaq.jpg::zczkqmritjdsoaq.jpg::zczkqmritjdsoaq.jpg:

Exactly; we always clowned WVU & Marshall for doing this chit, but now it’s fashionable for us?

Check our portal results; they are less than stellar.
If we're getting grade/character castoffs like Marshall and WVU, then, yes, we should be ripped. You can't always say, "yeah, but we ripped Marshall for doing it, so we shouldn't do it!"

Getting high character transfers like King and Roche, who want to play on a bigger stage, is completely different than WVU taking that gangly, goofy TE that got kicked out of here or Marshall taking the RB we couldn't get in because of his street game.

Advertisement
It's pretty simple" you go for the best players you can, when you can.

You don't throw the house at Jovani Haskins.

It's pretty simple" you go for the best players you can, when you can.

You don't throw the house at Jovani Haskins.
This. It’s 2020 and kids aren’t sitting around waiting for playing time or just sucking it up and sticking it out when the coach leaves and the system changes. Pursuing 5 star guys looking for a new school is the smart play unless the kid is a known problem child. That said, this kid isn’t interested. He’s going to go somewhere to be a 3-4 OLB

Brian Highflower QUIT on his team during the season!! Big difference. Cager made a bidness decision after the season and he will always be remembered as a good Cane.

In season, off season the narrative would’ve been the same chit. And bull chit that Cager would will always be remembered as a good Cane. LMAO. There was a whole thread on him bashing him, including minimizing his impact w UGA when he was healthy.

Advertisement
Back