2024 24 3* QB Luke Moga from AZ

Advertisement
Just looking at this kids height, weight, and speed, seems pretty similar to Stephen Morris. Is that a fair comparison?

Just looking at this kids height, weight, and speed, seems pretty similar to Stephen Morris. Is that a fair comparison?
Doesn’t have the natural arm talent that Morris had.

Morris was a pocket passer who had enough mobility to get out of the pocket & run when necessary, this kid is more athlete than QB at this stage. He’s a project as a QB, his throwing mechanics are a bit weird, he’s got a hitch in his release that to my view looks like it actually takes some of the velocity off on his ball, but that can be fixed with time.

My comp for Moga is Collin Schlee or a John Rhys Plumlee type; + athlete with some upside in the right system, but not really a pure passer. Is the kind of QB that fits on a team that already has good/great talent around it & just has to not turn the ball over & make splash plays in designed runs, not a kid that you build your whole offense around.

Morris was a pocket passer who had enough mobility to get out of the pocket & run when necessary, this kid is more athlete than QB at this stage. He’s a project as a QB, his throwing mechanics are a bit weird, he’s got a hitch in his release that to my view looks like it actually takes some of the velocity off on his ball, but that can be fixed with time.

My comp for Moga is Collin Schlee or a John Rhys Plumlee type; + athlete with some upside in the right system, but not really a pure passer. Is the kind of QB that fits on a team that already has good/great talent around it & just has to not turn the ball over & make splash plays in designed runs, not a kid that you build your whole offense around.
6'2 + <50% comp + 10.59 = WR
CIS making this too hard.

Advertisement
I was going to make a comp (disregarding height) of a recent former QB of ours, but i'm not trying to get blasted with vomit emojis.
Screenshot 2023-03-23 at 8.19.39 AM.png

#RespectTathan

Advertisement
Big on Judd Anderson as the QB #2 like Emory was; will be interesting to see who pops first.
It will be tough to sort the # 2 AB spot. Anderson, Moga, and Hairston all have their argument. To me, we’ve seen many lesser heralded SoFL AB prospects end up elsewhere and turn out pretty well so I have Hairston as my more ideal QB2. If Noland goes elsewhere then I can see a combo of Anderson & Hairston.

I have no further comment on the elite 11 stuff. I could post 3 other sites that hardly even mentioned Emory its all subjective with no true value. My bigger issue is signing guys that can't come in and compete for multiple seasons. If Jacurri is 2 or 3 years away and Emory is 2 or 3 years away and we sign this kid that's 2 or 3 years away who tf is competing for the job?
nah...

"Elite 11 event alumni include 27 of the 32 current NFL starting quarterbacks, and 14 of the past 15 quarterbacks who have hoisted the Heisman Trophy."

We should know what Emory is in a year; Jacurri has elite tools that will buy him more time but needs to show he can consistently put the ball on target.

You're exactly right. His Soph year he played WR and RB, while also returning kicks. Then he switched to QB starting with his Jr year. He's not a natural passer. Otherwise he would've played the position to begin with.

He's getting lots of offers (are the offers definitely as a QB?), but I suspect that the only reason he's even playing the position right now is because his coach is playing his most athletic kid at QB. Those types always end up switching positions at the next level.

As of right now I'm on the fence when it comes to taking him as the 2nd QB in the class. Guys like him NEED reps to improve. Kinda hard get them while he's redshirting or buried on the depth chart and unlikely to realistically be in the competition for a starting QB until his 3rd year. He needs to show/improve a lot this year.

He's someone I'd like to see him in a camp setting, where he can't run and has to throw.

Advertisement
nah...

"Elite 11 event alumni include 27 of the 32 current NFL starting quarterbacks, and 14 of the past 15 quarterbacks who have hoisted the Heisman Trophy."

We should know what Emory is in a year; Jacurri has elite tools that will buy him more time but needs to show he can consistently put the ball on target.
We are using that word again… Jacurri has some talent but let’s stop with him having elite tools.

Advertisement

Luke Moga was the lone arm in Miami this morning and he brought mom along to see the school in a return visit. Shannon Dawson is making the Phoenix native feel like a priority and it feels like the Hurricanes are in a position where they can land Moga if they continue to press. He took some apparel from the bookstore home for a close friend of his. Maybe to have some fresh gear to support while he plays quarterback in Coral Gables? Time will tell, but I think the Hurricanes are in a good spot. TCU and Oregon are two schools he will see this spring before official visit season. The Hurricanes are a good bet to land one of those coveted trips.

Coveted? IDK about that. Moms and pops came w/him though and he's going to official. Does the article give a timeline for a decision?

Advertisement
Back