2024 24 3* QB Luke Moga from AZ

Your "usually" is from 20 years ago. That was cool when Dorsey was on campus. I'll eagerly await the '24 QB class but excuse me if I avoid the Greentree hype.
That's a smart move. Most around here are incapable of it. All the podcasts and videos are still talking about him as a game manager. As you pointed out, that was fine 20 years ago.

There's been more white knighting for Emory Williams than any recruit in recent memory. People have said "you aren't a D1 coach, so I'll trust their evals over yours", or he's off limits because "he's a Cane".

The reality is, the coaches whose evals everyone now trusts soooo much.. have all been fired! And lets not forget, those same fired coaches viewed him AS THEIR SECOND QB in the class. They KNEW they needed another QB.

He wasn't exactly the most in demand recruit out out there. As @bobbydigius pointed out, his top WR was committed to UGA for most of the year. So a LOT of coaches had eyes on him. Yet somehow he only landed 6 total D1 offers:

Miami, whose offensive staff was fired after going 5-8. (Mario isn't exactly known for his QBs either)
Auburn, whose HC was fired along with his offensive staff.
Cal, whose HC was was OC, went 4-8 and did so poorly that he was forced to hire an actual OC.
Indiana, which finished the year 4-8.
Pitt, whose offer may not have been/remained committable, as it came in April of 22.
FSU, whose HC is not known for his HS recruiting, and landed its own meh QB (who was STILL ranked 150 spots higher!).

Everybody (myself included) better get used to the idea of him starting though. Unless we land a transfer and/or Jacurri stays, starts and stays healthy, Emory is destined to start. We'll see if the white knights still love him then.

Advertisement
That's a smart move. Most around here are incapable of it. All the podcasts and videos are still talking about him as a game manager. As you pointed out, that was fine 20 years ago.

There's been more white knighting for Emory Williams than any recruit in recent memory. People have said "you aren't a D1 coach, so I'll trust their evals over yours", or he's off limits because "he's a Cane".

The reality is, the coaches whose evals everyone now trusts soooo much.. have all been fired! And lets not forget, those same fired coaches viewed him AS THEIR SECOND QB in the class. They KNEW they needed another QB.

He wasn't exactly the most in demand recruit out out there. As @bobbydigius pointed out, his top WR was committed to UGA for most of the year. So a LOT of coaches had eyes on him. Yet somehow he only landed 6 total D1 offers:

Miami, whose offensive staff was fired after going 5-8. (Mario isn't exactly known for his QBs either)
Cal, whose HC was was OC, went 4-8 and did so poorly that he was forced to hire an actual OC.
Pitt, whose offer may not have been/remained committable, as it came in April of 22.
FSU, whose HC is not known for his HS recruiting, and landed its own meh QB (who was STILL ranked 150 spots higher!).

Everybody (myself included) better get used to the idea of him starting though. Unless we land a transfer and/or Jacurri stays, starts and stays healthy, Emory is destined to start. We'll see if the white knights still love him then.
You forgot to mention elite 11. Didn't read.

(this is a joke)

I hope the kid ends up shocking the world and is a star here but I also remember the early practice reports in 2012 when people started beating their chest about Larry Hope making play after play on Greentree. If we want to stick to QBs and recent more recent history, the reports his first year in practice was that Jake Garcia had the IT factor.

The kid has a good arm and is accurate. He went to the elite 11 and showed he belonged and so far he seems to be doing ok for himself. Y’all get so caught up in who didn’t offer who. There are a lot of players every year that didn’t get a ton of big offers and end up being ballers. Look at the top qbs in the nfl right now most of them didn’t have huge offers coming out of hs and wasn’t ranked highly either

Advertisement

This happens every year and pretty much every schools fan base does it.

We will know in a couple years

There’s more than you think. Timing companies are expensive as fucc. And buying you own timing system is just not in the budget for a lot of small schools…. Especially for a non revenue sport like track and field. Sad… but that’s fact.
I feel you but Sunnyslope is 15 minutes from the wealthiest suburb in Phoenix. I’m guessing the timing system went down at the meet. If they knew it was gonna be handtimes, shame on his coaches because there plenty of meets in Phoenix they could’ve competed at.

Colleges don’t accept handtimes nor can you use them to qualify for state. When I was in high school the only meets that did hand times were JV meets.

I feel you but Sunnyslope is 15 minutes from the wealthiest suburb in Phoenix. I’m guessing the timing system went down at the meet. If they knew it was gonna be handtimes, shame on his coaches because there plenty of meets in Phoenix they could’ve competed at.

Colleges don’t accept handtimes nor can you use them to qualify for state. When I was in high school the only meets that did hand times were JV meets.
That's very possible. But man, some states are WAAAYYYYY behind others in track and field, when it comes to that. Here in small town GA, we still use hand times for varsity track meets. A LOT. But In and around Atlanta, it's totally different. Now.... we don't use hand times for automatic qualifying, and yes colleges don't accept them. We still use them, because in our state, track meets don't count officially, unless it's a region, sectional, or a state meet. So every meet is basically practice, until the region meet.

Advertisement
SI says Oregon buzz. He's moved in his date a couple of months

SI says Oregon buzz. He's moved in his date a couple of months

Id bet money on Oregon now. I think he had legit interest in UM before Anderson committed, but not anymore. I guess time will tell if we should have waited to hear from Moga before accepting Andersons commitment.

Id bet money on Oregon now. I think he had legit interest in UM before Anderson committed, but not anymore. I guess time will tell if we should have waited to hear from Moga before accepting Andersons commitment.

Nah, Moga seemed butthurt on SM when Anderson announced. We clearly had Moga on ice. Miami moving off him probably spooked him. He needs to lock up a spot somewhere now.

Advertisement
Staff had Judd higher on the board than Moga
oh boy dunk GIF

Advertisement
SI summary, Moga cancelled commitment date and there currently is no public committment date

Advertisement
Back