2022 QB Quinn Ewers receives offer

Can't teach that
Joe Dirt GIF by memecandy

Advertisement
Could you tell me where I said that I know?

I dont agree with the generational label for explained reasons. And just because 247 says doesnt make it true or correct.

I have probably watched in the hundreds of D1 QBs in the last 20 years. I've watched multiple NFL guys in high school including Andrew Luck, Matt Stafford, Drew Brees, Chase Daniel, Ryan Mallett, Jevan Snead, Kevin Kolb, Christian Ponder, Andy Dalton, Nick Foles, RG III, Case Keenum, Kyler Murray, and Baker Mayfiled off the top of my head. Mahomes and VY are the only major NFL QBs from TX that I can think of that I didn't see play in HS in that time span.

I will say this - out of all of them, I would put this guy and Stafford in the top 2 of all those guys as far as NFL potential. I never thought I'd see a guy as talented as Stafford as a HS JR again, until I saw Ewers.

That is no guarantee. He might get injured, OSU might flop, he might get beaten out as a freshman and then get caught up in drama, WHO KNOWS. QBs flop for lots of reasons. But right now he is the absolute total package. Accuracy, arm strength, size, pocket presence, FB IQ.... he's got it all. If there is a flaw, it is well hidden. I can understand the ranking services viewing him as an almost perfect guy, because as a prospect, he is. But NOTHING is a guarantee, for LOTS of reasons.

I have probably watched in the hundreds of D1 QBs in the last 20 years. I've watched multiple NFL guys in high school including Andrew Luck, Matt Stafford, Drew Brees, Chase Daniel, Ryan Mallett, Jevan Snead, Kevin Kolb, Christian Ponder, Andy Dalton, Nick Foles, RG III, Case Keenum, Kyler Murray, and Baker Mayfiled off the top of my head. Mahomes and VY are the only major NFL QBs from TX that I can think of that I didn't see play in HS in that time span.

I will say this - out of all of them, I would put this guy and Stafford in the top 2 of all those guys as far as NFL potential. I never thought I'd see a guy as talented as Stafford as a HS JR again, until I saw Ewers.

That is no guarantee. He might get injured, OSU might flop, he might get beaten out as a freshman and then get caught up in drama, WHO KNOWS. QBs flop for lots of reasons. But right now he is the absolute total package. Accuracy, arm strength, size, pocket presence, FB IQ.... he's got it all. If there is a flaw, it is well hidden. I can understand the ranking services viewing him as an almost perfect guy, because as a prospect, he is. But NOTHING is a guarantee, for LOTS of reasons.
Agreed. I think he’s the best QB to come out of Texas in two decades, potential wise

Bucky Brooks (former NFL scout and player who works Elite 11) was critical of Ewers's attitude on his podcast. Said that Ewers was too casual for his taste and didn't compete as well as the others. He acknowledged his talent, though.

We'll see. Kyler Murray rubs some people the wrong way and he's a superstar.

Advertisement
Bucky Brooks (former NFL scout and player who works Elite 11) was critical of Ewers's attitude on his podcast. Said that Ewers was too casual for his taste and didn't compete as well as the others. He acknowledged his talent, though.

Sounds Tate Martell-esque. If he wasn't playing major Texas HS football I'd see it as a bigger problem, but this kid couldn't survive weekly in that HS football scene if he wasn't a competitor and gamer.

With the level of arm talent Ewer's has, his level of competitiveness might not even matter. Kid seems like an NFL QB in the making.

There’s a difference between being a laid back guy and work ethic issues. Carson Palmer was a laid back guy but his work ethic was never questioned.

Advertisement
I'll be honest, the thing that bothers me most about him is summed up in this quote about why 5-stars aren't going to Texas anymore like that:
Probably because a Texas team hasn’t been in the running for a national championship in a little while. And I don’t know about other guys, but like me I just, I just want to compete at the highest, highest level. Obviously, one day they will get back there and it’ll be great. But right now, it’s just, I’m just tired seeing that happen.

I'm not saying he should be locked into going to Texas, but if you really want to go to a school, the past success shouldn't matter to you. You're going there to turn the program around and back into a contender correct? Idk it may just be me, but I didn't love the quote. You're jumping on and riding the wave at Ohio State instead of turning things around at Texas. Obviously that's his right, but that part stood out to me.

But on the field, kid is a gamer, no doubt about it.

I'll be honest, the thing that bothers me most about him is summed up in this quote about why 5-stars aren't going to Texas anymore like that:
Probably because a Texas team hasn’t been in the running for a national championship in a little while. And I don’t know about other guys, but like me I just, I just want to compete at the highest, highest level. Obviously, one day they will get back there and it’ll be great. But right now, it’s just, I’m just tired seeing that happen.

I'm not saying he should be locked into going to Texas, but if you really want to go to a school, the past success shouldn't matter to you. You're going there to turn the program around and back into a contender correct? Idk it may just be me, but I didn't love the quote. You're jumping on and riding the wave at Ohio State instead of turning things around at Texas. Obviously that's his right, but that part stood out to me.

I wouldn't put too much stock into it. The question was why don't 5-stars stay in state, what are you going to say as a kid in that position? weird question overall but he went to the default answer of I just want to compete at a high level, but in reality it is not like the Big 10 is all that more tough than the Big 12, he is looking at it in a vacuum as they will likely be in the playoffs and play some tough teams if not a NC. I see your point but what would have been a better answer to that question I guess would be my question. I mean me thinking about it and coming up with the most PC answer I can would be "I can;t speak for other players, everyone is different and has their reasons, for me I personally felt the opportunity presented at Ohio would help me achieve my ultimate goal of playing in the NFL"

Imagine if you asked that same question to some of the 5* in So. Fla? lol

So same reason guys don’t come here

Advertisement
I wouldn't put too much stock into it. The question was why don't 5-stars stay in state, what are you going to say as a kid in that position? weird question overall but he went to the default answer of I just want to compete at a high level, but in reality it is not like the Big 10 is all that more tough than the Big 12, he is looking at it in a vacuum as they will likely be in the playoffs and play some tough teams if not a NC. I see your point but what would have been a better answer to that question I guess would be my question. I mean me thinking about it and coming up with the most PC answer I can would be "I can;t speak for other players, everyone is different and has their reasons, for me I personally felt the opportunity presented at Ohio would help me achieve my ultimate goal of playing in the NFL"

Imagine if you asked that same question to some of the 5* in So. Fla? lol
You're right, but the part that gets me is that he was committed to Texas before Ohio State. So clearly he wanted to go there at some point. Again, it's not some huge red flag, but something I give a side eye to.

And I don't even think about what South FL kids do, because a fair amount of them just jump from one team to another at their convenience. But I get what you're saying lol

There’s a difference between being a laid back guy and work ethic issues. Carson Palmer was a laid back guy but his work ethic was never questioned.
He’s a supreme competitor. He doesn’t view 7 on 7 football as a real competition. His persona is a very calm confidence almost arrogance and it rubs people wrong.

Advertisement
He’s a supreme competitor. He doesn’t view 7 on 7 football as a real competition. His persona is a very calm confidence almost arrogance and it rubs people wrong.
I kind of agree with his stance a bit. He’s a hyperTalented football player who no doubt gets up for Friday night football under the lights. When you’re in front of fans with DL trying to knock your head off is one thing, 7 v 7 flag football is another. I understand the lesser under rated players looking at that venue as an opportunity to shine, but Ewers meh.

Wut. He's 13-17-1 as a starter. #16 in PFF passing grade last year below the now-retired Philip Rivers. If anything Kyler's intangibles are a cautionary tale as a #1 overall pick with rare talent but lousy mechanics and a rumored lack of commitment to film study and improvement in meetings/practice. Which is reflected on the field where he struggles to go through progressions and trigger intermediate throws. And then people wonder why the Cardinals have such a vanilla static short passing game.

Wut. He's 13-17-1 as a starter. #16 in PFF passing grade last year below the now-retired Philip Rivers. If anything Kyler's intangibles are a cautionary tale as a #1 overall pick with rare talent but lousy mechanics and a rumored lack of commitment to film study and improvement in meetings/practice. Which is reflected on the field where he struggles to go through progressions and trigger intermediate throws. And then people wonder why the Cardinals have such a vanilla static short passing game.
Murray won a Heisman and the ESPN executive/scout poll had him as the #10 QB in the league. That sounds about right to me. I think his height limits him in terms of sitting in the pocket and carving up teams over the middle.

If Murray (or Ewers) lacks work ethic off the field, that's a whole different issue. Hard to get behind anybody with questionable habits at that position. I'm just saying that prickly QBs can be successful (see Roethlisberger and Rodgers).

Advertisement
Back