2021 LB Jaydon Hood receives offer

Advertisement
This response is exactly what I expected. You fail to grasp even the most basic elements of evaluating performance.

1) You don't understand the broader context. College football has changed. The average team scored ~30 PPG last year. It's not the 1960s. So we had only 1 game last year where our defense gave up more points than average. (Ideally we would make this comparison on a team by team basis, vs compared to all of college football, but I'm investing enough time in talking to an idiot on the internet as it is.)

2) You don't understand what the right metrics are. Offense and special teams have a huge impact on points allowed. Yards, yards per play, and the advanced stats are necessary in order to tell the complete story. For example, in the VT game, we only gave up ~330 yards. Our defense certainly didn't play great in that game, but the offense's 5 or 6 turnovers had a lot to do with the 42 points allowed.

3) You fail to look at the overall body of work. This is unbelievably basic, but I'll spell it out. You can't look at only the worst performances (which weren't all that bad, as per points 1 and 2 above). But we held UF, UVA, FSU, and other teams well below their scoring (and yard) averages.

The 2002 Hurricanes defense gave up 45 points to VT. So I guess by your estimation that defense sucked, too.
The 02 Defense lost alot of talent from the previous yr....There were worrisome signs throughout the yr...

This response is exactly what I expected. You fail to grasp even the most basic elements of evaluating performance.

1) You don't understand the broader context. College football has changed. The average team scored ~30 PPG last year. It's not the 1960s. So we had only 1 game last year where our defense gave up more points than average. (Ideally we would make this comparison on a team by team basis, vs compared to all of college football, but I'm investing enough time in talking to an idiot on the internet as it is.)

2) You don't understand what the right metrics are. Offense and special teams have a huge impact on points allowed. Yards, yards per play, and the advanced stats are necessary in order to tell the complete story. For example, in the VT game, we only gave up ~330 yards. Our defense certainly didn't play great in that game, but the offense's 5 or 6 turnovers had a lot to do with the 42 points allowed.

3) You fail to look at the overall body of work. This is unbelievably basic, but I'll spell it out. You can't look at only the worst performances (which weren't all that bad, as per points 1 and 2 above). But we held UF, UVA, FSU, and other teams well below their scoring (and yard) averages.

The 2002 Hurricanes defense gave up 45 points to VT. So I guess by your estimation that defense sucked, too.
To be fair, that VT team was a top 20 team. You are talking about Duke who went 5-7, FIU who is FIU, UNC who had a true freshman QB in his second start, and a decent VT team, excluding the GT game where the defense only gave up 14 points. However, this is not us playing in the Big 12, Big 10, or SEC. These are some awful teams we are talking about.

You can find all the metrics that you want, but at the end of the day the defense gave up a lot of points to some ****** offenses and let scores up in some key situations. You mention the VT game, and are right the offense put the defense in a bind early. But the defense also let VT go 60 yards in 5 plays after we tied the game (I know the next comment, so to spare you, we actually had an edge that game in time of possession at 31:15). Same thing with the long touchdown run for FIU to seal that game.

The offense absolutely needed to score more points across the season and in multiple games, and that is why we have a new staff. They were total trash. However, the defense had its fair share of the blame in going 6-7 as well. It was a good defense and one that was good enough to win another 2-3 games, but we need to be better in crunch time and situationally to take the next step (and that goes for special teams too).

Advertisement
60 tds and 7000 rushing yards in 9 seasons is garbage? What's your definition of not garbage?
Got me in that one, not too shabby of numbers. I just have never thought of him as anything special although I won't lie I was hoping the Dolphins drafted him back then.

Got me in that one, not too shabby of numbers. I just have never thought of him as anything special although I won't lie I was hoping the Dolphins drafted him back then.
At least you admitted it. I respect you for that. And he was in Nola all those years in a pass heavy offense with Brees so putting up those numbers there is pretty darn good.

ok that’s 4 guys you can name? Frank gore Andre Johnson Reggie Wayne Clinton Portis. Bama can’t touch what we did with pros.They have some of the most loaded recruiting classes year in and year out and their ratio is not great
This is the problem with Miami. We're too worried about what players do in the NFL than how they perform in college. Yeah, maybe Bama's players don't amount to much in the NFL, but they sure do max out their potential in college. You know, where the University of Miami competes.

This is why our players have one foot out the door before they even get on campus. We're so busy selling NFLU, bro! that players aren't all-in. They're just looking to come through, not do the maximum and get on to the next level.

I'd take a program like Bama that gets the most out of its players in college and competes for championships on a yearly basis than what we've been seeing the last decade where our players underachieve in college, get drafted late and then finally develop into NFL contributors at the next level. All that NFL talent we love to point to since 2000 and what does this program actually have to show for it?

Fort Lauderdale (Fla.) St. Thomas Aquinas LB Jaydon Hood committed to Michigan back in May, but he says until he takes visits nothing will be shut down.

He also anticipates “probably” waiting until February to sign so he can take his officials to Michigan, Miami and possibly Minnesota and Stanford.

“I talk to Miami coaches, am talking to coach (Blake) Baker, have talked to coach (Manny) Diaz and coach (Jonathan) Patke a little bit,” Hood said. “We talk about once a week.”

Hood says he’s following UM’s recruiting success in the Class of 2021.

“That’s not something that will change my mind, but like I said I haven’t visited any schools yet so I won’t close the door to anyone,” Hood said.

Of his decision to commit to Michigan despite never stepping foot on campus there, Hood said, “It was because of the history, the culture there, the player development and the scheme. I fit that scheme really well. All of that was the reason.”

Hood stresses that he remains pretty solid in his Michigan commitment, but UM is making a play here. With numbers tight it’ll be interesting if the Canes are willing to keep a scholarship spot open when Hood might not be ready to say for sure what he’ll do until after the early signing period.

Advertisement
“Can you feel it, nothing can save ya
For this is the season of catching the vapors
And since I got time, what I'm gonna do
Is tell you how this spreaded throughout my crew“

Biz Markie

even STA catching the vapors

Advertisement
Advertisement
I’m not a fan of manny. Unc raped us early but we’ve never seen this defense with an offense that can move the ball. These kids go into games knowing the offense sucks

ivisn brought this up last year. theyre essentially dead by the end of the year in terms of out of it bc they know they have to do eveyrthing

ROTFLOL at UMs "Very Good Defense last yr"
Gave up....
27 Duke
30 FIU
28 GT
42 VT
28 UNC......Lol...

some context has to be added there esp with VT -- the turnovers in the first half on our end spotted VT what 28 points? FIU was an embarrassment esp from the O. unc was bad early in that game and we sortve settled in until the infamous call by baker. gt was prolly our worst game on D w the missed tackles.

T2 gets that “open slot” if it’s there. Really like Hood, but Troutman is not a drop off and if we’re adding more, it’s elite.
You have to understand that I don’t think Troutman is getting dropped. But there has to be some insurance policies because recruiting is fluid and sometimes even your more solid commit conflict. Remember we thought Donald Harris was going to be the ambassador this class. If Jaden Hood wants in you have to tell them that we got spots filled. But you don’t lose contact with him because things can happen. Troutman film is legit for a linebacker in my opinion top 10 in the country type of legit.
I guarantee you other teams have reached out to him because of it. Everyone on YouTube that reviews his tape says he’s a beast, even coaches even people on here. The same thing happened with Thomas Davis. FSU isn’t going to give up on him being 2 1/2 hours away.
And as far as T2 it looks more and more like he doesn’t want to be here or the staff doesn’t want him.

Advertisement
Back