2020 Recruiting.

Advertisement

So those schools are prioritizing me, and Miami. I talk to Coach [Jim] Larrinaga maybe twice a week and I’m definitely going to try and visit them too.”

Terrance Williams had a big game against IMG and he is getting more attention as a recruit. If Miami then good but IMO, Miami would be better off with two bigs with the last two scholarships in the 2020 recruiting class.

I would gladly take Terrance Williams in this class. Starts with getting him to actually visit.

I think he will visit but I don't know how serious he is about coming to Miami. I still think he goes to Michigan or Georgetown but we shall see. He is a good player, somewhat undersized at the 4 but he is a good player so I don't have any complaints about him taking one of the two available scholarships.

Advertisement

I wonder if Coach L and the coaching staff will make a trip to Brooklyn to recruit Cliff or if they will be at the City of Palms Championship game.

2020-21 Miami basketball roster as it currently stands and why Miami needs two bigs.

Point Guards: Chris Lykes (SR) and Isaiah Wong (Soph)
Shooting Guards: Kam McGusty (SR) and Harlond Beverly (Soph)
Small Forwards: Earl Timberlake (FR) and Matt Cross (FR)
Power Forwards or Stretch Forwards: Sam Wardeenburg (SR) and Anthony Walker (Soph)
Centers: Rodney Miller (SR), Nysier Brooks (SR) and Deng Gak (R-JR)
Available Scholarships: 2

On paper, next season Miami looks to be 10 deep but Gak will be returning from a second consecutive season ending knee surgery, Rodney Miller is playing more but is improvement is not showing up on the stat sheet (points, rebounds and blocked shots) and Nysier Brooks production is another question mark as he was not a double double machine at Cincinnati. Miami needs to add two bigs with the last two scholarship in the 2020 recruing class as after next season, Miami will have 5 available scholarships and Deng Gak as the only returning big after the 2020-21 season.

2021-22 Miami basketball roster as it currently stands. Yes, this is two years away but proper scholarship use will prevent a potential disaster.

Point Guards: Isaiah Wong (Jr)
Shooting Guards: Harlond Beverly (Jr)
Small Forwards: Earl Timberlake (Soph) and Matt Cross (Soph)
Power Forwards: Anthony Walker (Jr)
Center: Deng Gak (R-Sr)

As you look ahead to what the roster will look like in a few years, the thought of Deng Gak being the only big on the roster after two knee surgeries is on par to the Rodney Miller saga we are experiencing this season. I think everyone should see why Miami needs to use the last two scholarships on two bigs for the 2020 recruiting class.

These are the bigs Miami are still actively recruiting:

Advertisement
Thats why they are going for Lynn Greer who may reclassify to 2020.

Kind of old article...https://www.inquirer.com/high-school-sports/pennsylvania/lynn-greer-roman-catholic-basketball-recruiting-reclassify-offers-20190917.html

“He’s young for his grade and he’ll be 17 when he finishes his senior year,” Griffin said. “I think he wants the legitimate opportunity to really work on his body, and just become the best player he can be. Some people are big believers in that fifth year of high school.”

Greer, will finish his senior year at Roman Catholic and have the option to play at a prep school before college. He also can still reclassify back to the 2020 class if the right opportunity arises. Greer was not made available for comment.

Griffin said Greer reclassifying isn’t because he’s seeking offers from other schools.

“I think he’s had some great opportunities,” Griffin said. “I think with an extra 12 months, he can get his body physically ready for the next level without losing a year of eligibility in college, so I think this is something he’s been thinking about since he started high school.”

Kind of old article...https://www.inquirer.com/high-school-sports/pennsylvania/lynn-greer-roman-catholic-basketball-recruiting-reclassify-offers-20190917.html

“He’s young for his grade and he’ll be 17 when he finishes his senior year,” Griffin said. “I think he wants the legitimate opportunity to really work on his body, and just become the best player he can be. Some people are big believers in that fifth year of high school.”

Greer, will finish his senior year at Roman Catholic and have the option to play at a prep school before college. He also can still reclassify back to the 2020 class if the right opportunity arises. Greer was not made available for comment.

Griffin said Greer reclassifying isn’t because he’s seeking offers from other schools.

“I think he’s had some great opportunities,” Griffin said. “I think with an extra 12 months, he can get his body physically ready for the next level without losing a year of eligibility in college, so I think this is something he’s been thinking about since he started high school.”

I think he would be a good fit because we are good at point guard for next year and he would probably be willing to redshirt and gain the strength and be ready to go for 2021-2022 season. Unfortunately it looks like Wong could've used the same but obviously not possible with our situation this year.

I think he would be a good fit because we are good at point guard for next year and he would probably be willing to redshirt and gain the strength and be ready to go for 2021-2022 season. Unfortunately it looks like Wong could've used the same but obviously not possible with our situation this year.

Makes sense plus we seem to ALWAYS have available scholarships.

We should try and sign 4 kids in this class and be prepared to grab a 5th via transfer because it would not shock me if someone leaves the program.

Makes sense plus we seem to ALWAYS have available scholarships.

We should try and sign 4 kids in this class and be prepared to grab a 5th via transfer because it would not shock me if someone leaves the program.

Yup although I am ok if they sign 3 (if they dont land Omoruyi) and take a transfer center who will sit the year.

Advertisement
We need a true PG. Wong or Beverly ain't gone cut it.

I disagree, I think Bev is the prototypical point guard for the Larranaga offense. Can hit threes, get into the paint and finish, and has the vision/passing to hit a cutter or the open guy on the perimeter. Right now his problem is that he's often careless and he forces things too much on offense. His handle is a little loose at times too, but all this stuff can and should be fixed by next season. He's going to be really good.

Yup although I am ok if they sign 3 (if they dont land Omoruyi) and take a transfer center who will sit the year.

That would be fine. I just hope that center has some more eligibility and not a sit one to play one (e.g. Brooks).

Advertisement
The Mitchell twins (Makhi and Makhel), both 6'10 forwards from DC, are leaving the Maryland Terps. If they were good enough to be recruited by Turgeon, I'd guess they could play in our frontcourt. Think one was averaging 3 ppg and the other 1 ppg. But ... they were playing in a Top 10 team's rotation as true frosh.

Last edited:
The Mitchell twins (Makhi and Makhel), both 6'10 forwards from DC, are leaving the Maryland Terps. If they were good enough to be recruited by Turgeon, I'd guess they could play in our frontcourt. Think one was averaging 3 ppg and the other 1 ppg. But ... they were playing in a Top 10 team's rotation.

Short answer: Sounds like a good idea.

Long answer: So basically, we bring in both of them but they have to sit-out. They become eligible in 2021-22 and both have 3 years left. I like the idea of it for a few reasons:

1. Brooks is gone after next year so we get the benefit of developing someone as Brooks gets the majority of the burn in 20-21.

2. Regardless of his ability, Miller has another year of eligibility after this year.

3. Same thing for Sam, he has another year of eligibility after this season.

4. It allows us to properly develop some big men who may need the extra time although they’re playing (some) burn at Maryland now.

5. Assuming no one transfers, we would have Walker and Gak too in 2021-2022.

——

My only issue is if you allocate two scholarships which can’t be used (i.e. players must sit out), it “requires” us to use all the other scholarships more efficiently which we’re not good at.

There are no guarantees but if we had 11 other scholarships that were going to be used on eligible players next year, I’d like something this even more.

With that said, I’d rather use a scholarship on something like this then not use it at all.

Advertisement
Back