2020 Recruiting.

Advertisement
South Florida's Class of 2020 is producing at the next level as a couple of former Broward Co players were just announced as Freshmen of the Year in their respective conferences. Damari Monsato (from Western HS) won the top freshmen award in the SoCon Conference with ETSU and Chase Johnston (from Westminster Academy) got the freshmen award in the ASun conference for Stetson.

On a side note, David Jean-Baptiste (Norland c/o 2017) who also starts at ETSU was named to the all-conference team.

South Florida's Class of 2020 is producing at the next level as a couple of former Broward Co players were just announced as Freshmen of the Year in their respective conferences. Damari Monsato (from Western HS) won the top freshmen award in the SoCon Conference with ETSU and Chase Johnston (from Westminster Academy) got the freshmen award in the ASun conference for Stetson.

On a side note, David Jean-Baptiste (Norland c/o 2017) who also starts at ETSU was named to the all-conference team.
These are the kinds of prospects this staff continually ignores. Under the radar local kids who may not be the highest rated but can ball

Advertisement
Agree on those "below the radar" local kids like Johnston. TJ was a good move on UM's part -- a local 7 footer who developed nicely over time. The late Brad Timpf from Taravella was another big man who never panned out. Zach Johnson, we finally did get but maybe should have had him earlier.

Playing UNC reminded me of this god awful class. Not only were the guys we got fairly underwhelming, but most of our targets also turned out to be terrible, just underwhelming all around. Kerwin Walton and Puff Johnson are bench guys for UNC, Niels Lane and Lance Ware are both afterthoughts on their teams, and Earl and Cross aren't finding much success on their new teams either.

Earl went to Memphis only to get boned by the late additions of Duren and Bates as well as other transfers. Then shows up briefly in preseason draft boards before going on to average 6 points in 20 min. Also very weird thing is that he has only attempted and missed one three? In what world is it beneficial for a 6'6" wing to not even attempt threes while also shooting 61% from the FT line? Good job transferring Earl really helped your draft stock there. Tanked your stock even more than whatever happened here.

Cross leaving was mysterious as well, his stats are more or less exactly the same with a little less playing time and worse efficiency. Recently he's been relegated to the bench playing less and less minutes. Have fun losing back to back games against Pitt and NC State while watching from the bench I guess.

While I'm at it might as well mention Elijah Olaniyi who for some reason went back to Stony Brook and is having a worse season than with us. Nysier Brooks was also a guy I thought would move on from ball but decided to go to Ole Miss and is having a pretty good season. He's the biggest loss imo, his energy during that ACC tournament run last year was very good and he would've fit a huge role on this team.

Would also like to give a shoutout to Cliff Omoruyi whos been very good for Rutgers and John Hughley who's been Pitt's best player. They both would've been much appreciated here.

In the end what I'm trying to say it's really crazy how much work the staff put in trying to pull all these guys in, most of them turned out to be terrible, the guys who did end up coming decided to leave for greener pastures which all turned out to be much worse situations. Hopefully this season and very good recruiting class turns things around for good and gives us future hope recruiting. Also we are blessed to have Isiah Wong, being the only recruited player to actually contribute from the past 3 years or so, and in a big way.

Advertisement
Back