2020 Recruiting.

Kuminga just officially reclassified, don't know what the deadline is for the others, but getting either of those bigs would be ideal. They can pretty much redshirt this year as we have Brooks and come in next year as a starter. Reid's tape is more alluring than Etienne, but at this point I'll take any big body that's more skilled than Rodney.

There is technically no deadline. It is a matter of having a 2.3 GPA in the college required courses to graduate. The NCAA decided that students did not need an ACT nor SAT score due to the corona virus for this year only.
Due to limited minutes, I always thought redshirting a big was the best option.
Mainly because Coach L will probably rely heavily on the combo of Brooks, Miller and Gak at the 5 spot this season. Considering both Miller and Brooks averaged 8 points and 6 rebounds as juniors, one would project them to average 9 and 7 or 10 and 8 each. Neither should play more than 20 to 25 minutes a game.
Given that they are both seniors and Coach L does well with teams with 5 seniors, everything lines up for Miami to reach atleast the Sweet 16 this season like 2013 and 2016.

Advertisement
Mac Etienne is in Fort Lauderdale according to his IG story, maybe he wants to come down to Miami 👀

That is interesting. I thought recruits were not allowed on campus due to the corona virus.
Honestly, who can stop him from visiting the school unofficially. I guess he is ok as long as he does not meet the coaches in person.

7 footer from Deerfield Beach committed to Illinois. As the article below suggests, this one's kinda suspect considering how his recruitment played out, but there was a legit 7 footer from Broward in the 2020 class with a couple P5 offers, and UM wasn't one of them.

7 footer from Deerfield Beach committed to Illinois. As the article below suggests, this one's kinda suspect considering how his recruitment played out, but there was a legit 7 footer from Broward in the 2020 class with a couple P5 offers, and UM wasn't one of them.

You have a valid point. I am not going to dispute that. This is my perspective on the situation.
Mac Etienne was considering Illinois along with Miami and some other schools.
Illinois may have taken him because they know Etienne is not coming.
Granted it is only a theory but let's see if this works out for Miami.

Last edited:
Advertisement

deerfield Illinois not florida

Advertisement

Good article on Timberlake's recruitment that shows how important visits can be. Cited players and environment being a bigger factor than just the physical campus. Said Miami was #1 with no #2. That's the type of commitment you want, super excited to see him ball out this year. Said his main focus has been working on his jumper which is great to hear. We need all the shooting we can get. Says he compares himself to Jimmy Butler, who also happens to be in Miami. Future looks good.

Lance Ware made a mistake going to Kentucky. It's only been one game, but he looks like the 3rd of 4th best big out there. Will get limited minutes and should've come here for a more feature role. Wouldn't be surprised if he ends up in the portal at some point.

Same thing can be said for Puff Johnson and Kerwin Walton. At least one of them should've looked for a spot elsewhere.

Advertisement
I've seen the Curbelo kid play PG in 3-4 games this season for Illinois. The kid can really distribute! Every time I see him he has a half dozen assists, give or take a few. And that is coming off the bench.

We coulda used him big time as a true PG. Only gonna improve over the next couple years.

I've seen the Curbelo kid play PG in 3-4 games this season for Illinois. The kid can really distribute! Every time I see him he has a half dozen assists, give or take a few. And that is coming off the bench.

We coulda used him big time as a true PG. Only gonna improve over the next couple years.
That was one of the recruits that hurt me most we didn’t get. Haven’t had a true point in ages

Advertisement

Curbelo's looked legit every time I've watched him too. The staff likes to take a PG every other year, and they had already taken a PG the year before in Beverly. That they were willing to deviate from that strategy for this guy suggests they knew Curbelo was going to be really good.

Nice that they got the eval right, but that's only half the battle.

Curbelo's looked legit every time I've watched him too. The staff likes to take a PG every other year, and they had already taken a PG the year before in Beverly. That they were willing to deviate from that strategy for this guy suggests they knew Curbelo was going to be really good.

Nice that they got the eval right, but that's only half the battle.
Good points. Curbelo's got the penetration and dish, no-look pass, and rim lob down pat -- without being careless or out of control. Rare in a freshman. That's why he's playing major minutes for an Illinois team which is an ascending national power.

Any comparison of Beverly vs Curbelo based on PG skills is a total win for Curbelo, despite Harlond having more experience.

Advertisement
Back