2020 Recruiting.

Advertisement

Interesting but I have no knowledge if the coaching staff has any interest in either player.
From what I have read, it seems the coaching staff is focusing on 2021 reclassified prospects to fill the last two scholarships for the 2020 recruiting cycle. I completely agree with that approach.
However, I wonder if they would consider Kai Sotto and/or Vladislav Goldin.
Both are 7 feet tall but neither would be able to start as freshmen. They would provide depth to the roster.

Penny Hardaway got the #1 class in just his second season at Memphis. We should be able to get top 20 every year. We may have to upgrade the recruiting strategy or get help.

The staff does a great job of recruiting kids north of the DMV.
I still feel that once they begin to add some talent from Florida then they will definitely have top 20 recruiting classes each year. Maybe even top 10.

Last edited:

Interesting but I have no knowledge if the coaching staff has any interest in either player.
From what I have read, it seems the coaching staff is focusing on 2021 reclassified prospects to fill the last two scholarships for the 2020 recruiting cycle. I completely agree with that approach.
However, I wonder if they would consider Kai Sotto and/or Vladislav Goldin.
Both are 7 feet tall but neither would be able to start as freshmen. They would provide depth to the roster.

Nevermind. Sotto never had any interest in going to college.

Advertisement
Well he had a top 10 team for a while. Wiseman was a recruiting violation but the other 6 guys weren't. Take Wiseman from that class and they are still top 25. Why can't we do that?

It was a combination of things. One Penny coached most of those kids in high school whether for Memphis East or his travel organization, plus it was an absolute stacked class in Memphis that year. South Florida does not produce that many ACC caliber players and Miami recruited harder then anybody for Vernon Carey as well as Scottie Barnes. But this year in South Florida, not sure there was one high major player that I can think of on the top of my head.

It was a combination of things. One Penny coached most of those kids in high school whether for Memphis East or his travel organization, plus it was an absolute stacked class in Memphis that year. South Florida does not produce that many ACC caliber players and Miami recruited harder then anybody for Vernon Carey as well as Scottie Barnes. But this year in South Florida, not sure there was one high major player that I can think of on the top of my head.
Im talking about the Guillermo Diaz's, the Tim James and the Brian Asburys of the world. Guys who can come in and help an already good team get better.

Advertisement

Wesley Cardet is a 6'6 point guard who plays at Northeast HS and he is a top 50 player in the 2021 class.
Miami has offered and they have been recruiting him for a while.
Josh Minnot is a 6'8 2021 SF from Boca Raton who is also ranked but I don't think Miami has offered him.
In 2020, you already know about Scottie Barnes but Tony Saunders is a 6'7 2020 SF that just committed to Notre Dame last month.
Those numbers will increase drastically in the 2022 and 2023 classes.

Last edited:
Penny Hardaway got the #1 class in just his second season at Memphis. We should be able to get top 20 every year. We may have to upgrade the recruiting strategy or get help.

I don't disagree with your second point, but leave Memphis out of this. Nothing that went on at Memphis last year is comparable to any other team in the country.

Half of Penny's recruiting class last year played for him in high school, and they all basically initiated a coup to get Tubby Smith out and Penny in as head coach. Penny's class THIS year literally doesn't exist, he doesn't have 1 single commit.

Advertisement
I don't disagree with your second point, but leave Memphis out of this. Nothing that went on at Memphis last year is comparable to any other team in the country.

Half of Penny's recruiting class last year played for him in high school, and they all basically initiated a coup to get Tubby Smith out and Penny in as head coach. Penny's class THIS year literally doesn't exist, he doesn't have 1 single commit.
Jut sayin that when a man has been running your program for 7 years certain pipelines should be in place that every few years bring us a top gun. And always makes use of the locals. We're leaving some local 10-13ppg guys to go to other schools while our numbers are slipping.

Are there any 2020 HS recruits still in play?

Technically no but left me clarify.

Currently, I don't know of any players from the 2020 recruiting class that is still available on the Miami recruiting board based on the information I have read and posted.
From what I have read, since the NCAA has changed college admissions to a 2.3 GPA without a test score for this year, potentially, a few kids Miami is recruiting for the 2021 recruiting class may reclassify to the 2020 recruiting class.
Mac Etienne has been offered for either class. Efton Reid and Frank Kapang are two other possibilities.
All three are bigs.
Frank Anselem has already reclassified but he has not committed but he did eliminate Miami prior to getting down to a final 7. His final 7 has changed once so it could change again.
We should know more in the next thirty days.
However, news could break before I hit post or before you read this.

Advertisement
Does that officially close the book on 2020 prospects?

The focus is now on 2021 to 2020 kids?

A good article on the top 7 2021 kids projected to reclassify to the 2020 recruiting class.
Efton Reid is more likely than Mac Etienne at this point.
However, Miami only has one scholarship left for next season.

A good article on the top 7 2021 kids projected to reclassify to the 2020 recruiting class.
Efton Reid is more likely than Mac Etienne at this point.
However, Miami only has one scholarship left for next season.

Kuminga just officially reclassified, don't know what the deadline is for the others, but getting either of those bigs would be ideal. They can pretty much redshirt this year as we have Brooks and come in next year as a starter. Reid's tape is more alluring than Etienne, but at this point I'll take any big body that's more skilled than Rodney.

Advertisement
Back